Ok so I adopted a Belgian gelding from a rescue about three weeks ago. I was going to set up transport but she offered to bring him down. Then I acquired the Clydesdale mare that needs to go to the same rescue from someone off craigslist (sort of a rescue) at about the same time.
Well when I got her we had agreed on switching that weekend. Then she changed it to that Wednesday. Wednesday came and she told me that she wanted to wait until the farrier came out to do the horse I adopted's hooves. I told her that my farrier could do them. But she wanted hers to do them so I agreed.
So the date changed back to the weekend. The weather got a little bad but not so bad that she didn't have another horse come in. So the date changed again because she couldn't get her trailer out. I was fine with it. Well the date changed again. Each time I contact to her the date changes.
We are having a bank problem right now. A new teller didn't bother checking someone with the same name as my husband's ID and he took money out of our account. So our account is on hold (hopefully until tomorrow). So we've been living off cash on hand, our credit card (which we don't like to use) and money I borrowed from a family member. The rescue did send me some money via paypal but I don't have access to the money because of the bank issue.
I go through a bag and a half of sawdust a day on the Clydesdale's stall because she is kept in 24/7 and is VERY messy. She gets about a full bale of hay, went from 60 bales when she came to 16 because the rescue told me she needs free choice hay. I've gone through a bag of pellets a week with her here. She cost as much as the three outdoor horses combined in care a week. She can't be turned out with the other horses because she gets fed more often and she is a big softy. All my horses chase her and she won't stand up for herself.
The horse I am getting from the rescue is going to be a much better fit. He is a lot younger, an easier keeper and doesn't have to be stalled. So I'm ready to get him here.
Not only am I impatient to get my new horse here the Clydesdale mare needs specialized attention. She needs weight, her feet done and the sores on her face looked at. She also needs a better fitting blanket. I've had a few people offer to help but I keep turning them down because I keep thinking she's going to come pick her up before the help comes.
I feel sort of obligated to hold the mare until she can come get her but I'm ready for the switch to happen because this mare is draining me with the extra care she needs. On top of Mystery (the blind mare) and the horses I have, I've got four kids and other animals to care for. It's not that I don't like her, she's a big old gentle giant. I'm just kind of wore out right now.
I'm looking for a nice way to tell her she NEEDS to come get this mare and bring the horse I adopted. I tried to be blunt about it and ask her if she was coming today. The farrier had come out and she told me yesterday that after he was done she'd come. Well she told me a little bit ago that we will see about tomorrow..... I mean I understand the weather has been rough and she's busy but why tell me that she is going to bring him on a day she planned to go to a tack swap? Why tell me that she can't get down her driveway with the trailer and then have a horse delivered to her? I go out and spend my time making sure all the horses are nice and clean and the barn is neat when she doesn't end up coming.... I like what she is doing with these horses but if I ever adopt from her again I'm going to arrange my own transport.
Please if you know what rescue I am talking about don't e-mail her telling her that I'm complaining. I just need a little advice. Since she has the right to tell me that I can't have the horse I adopted I don't want her thinking that I'm mad (not mad only slightly irritated).