So I have posted multiple threads on my boy and have gotten great advice. Right now, I am at home stressed to the max over a *lack* of bloodwork.
10 days ago, we had his blood pulled to do a simple testosterone test. We are trying to determine whether he has enough testosterone to actually breed. He has mounted every mare at our farm and was twice seen ejaculating. We know that he was a late geld at 4 years old. We do not know if he was ever bred before he was gelded. (any AQHA members know if there is a way to find out if he has any foals out there? Nocona Lee Callender Foaled April 27 2000)
When I contacted his breeder about his behavior and general questions I got this response "He was the second best horse I've ever owned". Great. That answers everything! I've since tried to contact his breeder again about his gelding. Two weeks later and I still have no response.
In the meantime, two of the mares that he 'bred' have left the farm. One of the owners of one of the mares is threatening to sue if her mare is bred. The other owner would be ecstatic and would welcome a foal. My barn owner is really putting the pressure on me to find out the results. Problem is, I can't get the vet to call me back.
My barn owner and fellow boarders are more worried than ever. They have my poor boy on lock-down by himself. The longer we wait to hear back, the more they are convinced that he is able to breed. So after waiting 10 days to get the blood work back and still not hearing from the vet (i think I may have annoyed them today by calling for the 3rd day in a row) I decided to do a bit of research. Bad Idea. The man I bought Nico from (not his breeder) sent him with all of his paperwork. One was an expired coggins test taken when he was still with his breeder. I called them to see if they could give me any information about his gelding. They checked the records and he was not gelded by them. I've tried 3 other vets in that area and all of them have heard of this breeder but none of them have any direct knowledge of Nico or his gelding.
As my mind starts racing, I get a phone call from a friend who works for another vet. Her question is, what if he is a DOUBLE chryptorchid? I am such a mess and am barely putting thoughts together. I know the chances are slim but my-oh-my what have I gotten myself into.
It doesn't help that our vet (not one I like mind you) told the barn owner that she wouldnt be suprised to find out that he is infact retaining one or both testicles. I was unable to be at the barn when the blood was drawn but the BO said when she took the vet down to Nicos stall to show her which horse to stick, she said 'he ISNT? A stud? I thought for sure he was...he sure LOOKS like one' So that's another question for ya...I have pictures of Nico all over this forum and so here is another. He doesn't have an visible testicles but at first look, would you assume my boy to be a stallion? He has a few behaviors that point to stud but isn't unmanagable. He loves the ladies, hates the boys and has a big neck. In my vets book, I guess that makes him a stud.
If anyone has any experience with this situation, please let me know. Im stressed out and ready to walk away. Nico is a good boy with a good heart and if he has to have surgery, ill probably have to sell a kidney to get it done.