Non-Horse People Really Butter My Muffin!*Rant*
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Non-Horse People Really Butter My Muffin!*Rant*

This is a discussion on Non-Horse People Really Butter My Muffin!*Rant* within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horsie rants
  • Ranting on horses

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-13-2011, 01:57 PM
  #1
Weanling
Non-Horse People Really Butter My Muffin!*Rant*

Anyone else get to the end of their rope with non-horse people and their silly assumptions and questions?

I had two days off in a row this week, which NEVER happens, and I spent both days with my wonderfully gifted, if slightly naughty equine. Altogether I spent 11 hours riding plus quite a few more hours working from the ground, picking feet, grooming, in general just spending time with my boy. Not to mention last night, which was just one more hour of riding, because my body doeth protest.

I'm hurt. I'm sore. I have bruises every freaking where, blisters on the pads of my ring fingers, a blown out knee, the list goes on. Which, hey, whatever. Horse related soreness, I'm used to, because this is our first summer together and we are always trying new things.

THIS sore is a new level of soreness. After I dismounted last night my left leg actually gave out and I dropped like a brick. It was quite funny, but I was also proud, because this is how hard we should be working ALL the time, not just sometimes.

Anyhow, I get to work and am moving quite a bit slower than I normally would. I don't say anything to anyone, because it's useless, my co workers are play babies, if they know you're hurting they will poke, tickle, bump, trip you all the more. But, a couple people noticed, and of course asked, and the one co worker who decided to elbow me in the ribs, and was surprised when I smacked him in the head with a spoon.

My answer to these people is short. 'Riding.' Because it does no good to tell them, in detail, because unless it involves an evening of binge drinking and table dancing they don't want to hear about it.

But, oh, yesterday! The questions just kept coming and the comments were even better.

'Did you get kicked?'
'No.'
'Did you fall?'
'No.'
'Oh.'
Minutes elapse while I have no EXCITING answer to give.

'Hey, you must be back together with your BF, I heard there was alot of riding going on on your days off.'
Oh, that's just classically hilarious.

'Maybe you should get a smaller horse.'
'Huh? Why?'
'Well, obviously this one is too much for you.'
Seriously? I'm sorry it is actually impossible for you to believe that there is a hobby BESIDES sitting on a stool and bending your elbow, no training required, but my hobby, my LIFE requires a little bit more strenuous activity...'

'How do you get sore from RIDING a horse? You MUST have fallen or something!'
'Nope, in case you didn't know, he does outweigh me by about 1270 lbs, it DOES take a little muscle to control him.'

'You SHOULDERS shouldn't hurt, you must have been scared and tense.'
Here, take this lunge line, while attached to my 1400 lb animal, now in the other hold this whip. Ok. Now STAY that way. For like...HOURS.

'Doesn't riding hurt your...ahem... private parts?'
Personally, I don't sit on my private parts. I sit on my butt. My horse has very high withers, but unless I'm doing something dreadfully wrong, nope, doesn't hurt my...ahem... at all.

'Did you jump?'
'Just once and it was an accident.'
'Oh, I thought that's what you were training him to do.'
'No, I have no interest in jumping, someone else uses him to jump sometimes, but I don't.'
'Oh, you must be one of those people that do all that stuff like on those rodeo shows.'
'What? Those people? Rodeo shows? Huh?'
'You know, with the hats and the tights and all, where the horses are dancing.'
'Seriously? I think you're thinking of dressage and no.'
'Well, what ARE you doing...?'
'Teaching him to control his canter.'
'What's a canter?'
'Nevermind.'

'What do you actually DO with a horse, anyway?'
'Nothing. I bought him for a status symbol so people would think I was cool and ask about a million dumb questions. It worked. I can sell him now! You interested?'

Good grief. Someone punch me in the face.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-13-2011, 02:07 PM
  #2
Showing
Wow. O.o

If someone had been asking me all those questions when I was as sore as you sound, I would have kicked that someone in the knee. I do like that you hit one of your coworkers in the head with a spoon, though. I'm going to have to try that sometime.

I did get quite a few stupid questions after I was thrown from a horse a few weeks ago and severely sprained my ankle (had to be in a walking cast...BAH!). People would ask me what happened and when I'd say "I was bucked off a horse," I would get the inevitable "You got bucked off YOUR horse?!" Ummmmm, did I SAY I got bucked off MY horse? No. I said I got bucked off A horse. MY horse wasn't rideable at the time, which you very well know because I've been complaining for several weeks that the BO wasn't working on breaking him, even though he promised me we'd be on trails in a month. Geez, people!
     
    08-13-2011, 02:15 PM
  #3
Trained
Just explain to them, knowledgeably, that riding a horse is working muscles in your body. You are supporting yourself on a moving animal. You are using the largest muscles in your body, your legs. You are sore because it's equivalent to going to the gym and working out for hours. You are using your biceps, abs, gluts, tendons, etc. You are exercising your entire body pretty much. Granted it's not entirely aerobic, it's is EXERCISE, not to mention all the tasks that go along with it like carrying the saddle, picking out a stall, hauling the hay & feed, grooming the horse, sweeping the alley, etc. In the winter, I have to do aerobic & resistence exercise about 6 times a week to stay in shape (ok, I have a high standard of body fitness). When it's riding season, I just do some kickboxing about once or twice a week if that, rest is riding and my fitness level remains high.
     
    08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
  #4
Weanling
Im sorry your post made me laugh!!! My non horsey friends listen to me go on & on but then I try to snap out of it for them....they don't understand but they support me.

As for your awesome co-workers.... just imagine them riding a horse....lmbo!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
CheshireKitty likes this.
     
    08-13-2011, 02:33 PM
  #5
Started
Just ignore them. They sound really, really stupid.

Good for you for thwacking that jerk upside the head with a spoon. I wish I could have seen that.
     
    08-13-2011, 05:06 PM
  #6
Foal
I don't mind my non-horsie friends and co-workers asking "stupid" questions. How are they to learn and apparantly are interested. We all learned about horses and it began with our first question...I guess I don't get your "rant".
MouseZ likes this.
     
    08-13-2011, 11:55 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
Wow. O.o

If someone had been asking me all those questions when I was as sore as you sound, I would have kicked that someone in the knee. I do like that you hit one of your coworkers in the head with a spoon, though. I'm going to have to try that sometime.

I did get quite a few stupid questions after I was thrown from a horse a few weeks ago and severely sprained my ankle (had to be in a walking cast...BAH!). People would ask me what happened and when I'd say "I was bucked off a horse," I would get the inevitable "You got bucked off YOUR horse?!" Ummmmm, did I SAY I got bucked off MY horse? No. I said I got bucked off A horse. MY horse wasn't rideable at the time, which you very well know because I've been complaining for several weeks that the BO wasn't working on breaking him, even though he promised me we'd be on trails in a month. Geez, people!
I was very close to kicking someone. I felt like going into horse-mode and just doing a swift side kick and then looking around like... 'What? What's your problem?' And, Grrrr, it irritates me when people make assumptions when you say something like that. The last time I got kicked people all thought it was my horse that had done it, because A) I got sick of explaining and B) My horse is apparently the ONLY horse at my barn. Who Knew? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
Just explain to them, knowledgeably, that riding a horse is working muscles in your body. You are supporting yourself on a moving animal. You are using the largest muscles in your body, your legs. You are sore because it's equivalent to going to the gym and working out for hours. You are using your biceps, abs, gluts, tendons, etc. You are exercising your entire body pretty much. Granted it's not entirely aerobic, it's is EXERCISE, not to mention all the tasks that go along with it like carrying the saddle, picking out a stall, hauling the hay & feed, grooming the horse, sweeping the alley, etc. In the winter, I have to do aerobic & resistence exercise about 6 times a week to stay in shape (ok, I have a high standard of body fitness). When it's riding season, I just do some kickboxing about once or twice a week if that, rest is riding and my fitness level remains high.
I've tried this. I am also a competitive swimmer, and no one gets THAT either. Their main reaction is shock that I would do something that put so much exertion on my body that it would hurt. They, sadly, misunderstand the concept of physicality. I call it head in butt syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalhorse    
Im sorry your post made me laugh!!! My non horsey friends listen to me go on & on but then I try to snap out of it for them....they don't understand but they support me.

As for your awesome co-workers.... just imagine them riding a horse....lmbo!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I was definitely grinning when I wrote it, and I am glad you got a laugh out of, because I was really just ranting in a silly way. Imagining any of these sillies on a horse just cracks me up, for sure! My non horsey FRIENDS are mostly understanding, my coworkers are the people I was talking about, which at best I'm going to say are 'work-friends' which is a little different and I've given up trying to explain for them, because they always turn it into some dumb joke, which... funny? Sometimes. Irritating? Mostly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessabel    
Just ignore them. They sound really, really stupid.

Good for you for thwacking that jerk upside the head with a spoon. I wish I could have seen that.
Thank You!!! It was one of those long iced tea spoons, too, so it had some momentum. The noise it made? PRICELESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardavej    
I don't mind my non-horsie friends and co-workers asking "stupid" questions. How are they to learn and apparantly are interested. We all learned about horses and it began with our first question...I guess I don't get your "rant".
If they were asking questions because they were CURIOUS and wanted to know, I would have NO problem explaining. But, my wonderful coworkers are children in grown ups clothing, whom I love dearly, but are asking merely to fuel their 'work joke' fire. I was just ranting in a silly way, because my guys just can't take anything outside of beer pong seriously. I must be old, I don't even know what beer pong IS. They find my horsieness silly, frilly and girly, which I usually am NOT and so I think they like to pick on it as a sign of me being more girly than I would normally be. Who knows.
     
    08-14-2011, 12:01 PM
  #8
Trained
I guess I should be glad that my coworkers are so disinterested in my horse habit that they always just accept the answer that I'm limping or sore with the single brushoff word answer "horse". That's all I have to say and they all go back to their own business. I call non-horse people Huggles in honor of the Harry Potter movies.
     
    08-14-2011, 01:12 PM
  #9
Weanling
That sucks. I really feel your pain, both physical and socially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1228    
They find my horsieness silly, frilly and girly, which I usually am NOT and so I think they like to pick on it as a sign of me being more girly than I would normally be. Who knows.
Its funny because the people I see often see it as the opposite. I've told them so many stories that whenever I mention going to the barn they think I'm going to get beaten up. They think that it makes me more MANLY. HAH. I'm tough, but my horse still gets plenty of coddling and kisses.
It made it worse when I fell off and pretty much fractured my pelvis. Unfortunately the doctors didn't pick up on it so they ordered me back in school as soon as possible with more than a day off. So two days after the injury I was dragging my leg around. If I so much as stood it underneath myself, it felt like someone was driving a knife in my lower back. That made them decide that riding was maybe not so pretty and girly!
     
    08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
  #10
Weanling
MyBoyPuck: Huggles! That made me laugh so hard! I love it!

Tymer: Ouch! That sounds like no fun! But, it makes sense that your coworkers think you're all tough and manly. I mean it's true in a way though, for sure, horse girls are bad a**! Only my close friends and family think that, but then again they've seen me wrestle my monster in person. Usually standing somewhere in the distance calling 'Are you ok!? Hey! Are you ok??!' Hehehe.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oh people annoy me * rant* BarrelRacer86 Horse Talk 0 05-07-2011 11:02 AM
Some People! (rant!) DieselPony General Off Topic Discussion 19 04-19-2011 07:17 PM
Why don't people answer emails rant? hotreddun General Off Topic Discussion 9 03-31-2009 03:24 PM
Rant....why are some horse people SOOOO STUPID?!?!?! SonnyWimps Horse Talk 11 08-12-2008 01:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0