So I've been riding off and on since late February and as of right now am finally able to make the commitment to take weekly lessons. My boyfriend is totally supportive but after coming to watch two lessons, asked me why I want to learn so formally.
The obvious answer is that I want to learn how to ride a horse properly, and well. But it got me to think about my goals.
1. I'd like to try a schooling show in the near future and continue to show.
2. I'd like to canter by Christmas.
3. I'd like to get into Dressage or Jumping.
4. I'd like to part-board/lease a horse within the next two years.
5. I'd like to own a horse within the next 5-7 years.
And all this leads me to goal 6. Get enough work (self-employed) that I can hire someone to take on some of my responsibilities, which will afford me enough time and money to ride as often as I can (3x a week).
What are/were your goals as a novice? I'm really curious because I'm so new to the horse world and don't know about all the opportunities that are available to me as a rider.