Old style/New methods
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Old style/New methods

This is a discussion on Old style/New methods within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • New methods for catching a horse

Like Tree41Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
  #1
Weanling
Old style/New methods

Well as anyone knows these days "natural" horsemanship is all the rage and is seen on every tv show about horses and all these people with their different "methods". Well I have followed some of these practices and found them to work and some not as well as seen on tv. Now I have been starting colts for about 7 years now and I have had my own methods and I guess they would be considered the natural way. I want to know what way did the old timers do it?? No one ever talks about that? Like back in the day when your horse was your car... Who and how did they do it? Lets discuss the old methods of horse training I think it would make a interesting thread and maybe we could learn a few things from each other!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
  #2
Green Broke
We have a friend that trains "old school". He's not much into doing a lot of ground work first. He does just enough to catch the horse and be able to get on. Then all his training is under saddle. My understanding is that you catch the horse, saddle them up somehow and get on and ride it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-09-2012, 05:07 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
We have a friend that trains "old school". He's not much into doing a lot of ground work first. He does just enough to catch the horse and be able to get on. Then all his training is under saddle. My understanding is that you catch the horse, saddle them up somehow and get on and ride it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have heard similar methods. I wonder does that really work? Ever seen it done and it make a sound horse?
     
    04-09-2012, 05:09 PM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
I have heard similar methods. I wonder does that really work? Ever seen it done and it make a sound horse?
My dad's been doing it since he was 13. I don't agree with some of his methods and his horses end up with hard mouths most of the time, but they work for him and anyone who gets on. None of them have even come up lame either.
Wallee likes this.
     
    04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE    
My dad's been doing it since he was 13. I don't agree with some of his methods and his horses end up with hard mouths most of the time, but they work for him and anyone who gets on. None of them have even come up lame either.

Hey if it works and he is ok with it. Its his horses :P
And like you said none have come up lame so therefore he isnt hurting them.
     
    04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
  #6
Started
Oh it does hurt them. There have been a few bloody mouths, spur sores... ect ect.
     
    04-09-2012, 05:20 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
I have heard similar methods. I wonder does that really work? Ever seen it done and it make a sound horse?
I've seen him work on a few horses. The problem he has is that he doesn't have much patience. I did have to help him once to get a horse to go through some water.

As for it working? It had to have in the years long ago. I just don't know if it is more or less effective.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-09-2012, 05:20 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE    
Oh it does hurt them. There have been a few bloody mouths, spur sores... ect ect.

He must have to get rough with them... Do they stay sane?
     
    04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
I've seen him work on a few horses. The problem he has is that he doesn't have much patience. I did have to help him once to get a horse to go through some water.

As for it working? It had to have in the years long ago. I just don't know if it is more or less effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm I rode a 3 yr old filly a buddy of mine rode out ha ha and she turned out to be a good little horse to ride.
     
    04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
  #10
Started
He pushes them a lot, and doesn't give very many chances (if any...) before he goes about disciplining, (jabbing and jerking...spinning spinning spinning, stopping, back back back back, see-saw....) It works for him. I'm not saying the horse is happy, but they don't get blown up and their minds don't turn to mush. It's just not something I would wish upon my horse.
Although, I did ask him to give one of my greenies a work over a couple years ago as I was scared of her (she broke my arm from bucking me off, so I was very uncomfortable...) but since then, I've cowgirled up and have done tune-ups myself.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
your own style of training vs. their own style horsenaround123 Horse Riding 5 09-21-2011 01:21 PM
Best Foaling methods? nette379 Horse Breeding 12 06-15-2011 08:11 AM
OLD METHODS vs NEW METHODS brittany Horse Training 16 06-02-2011 03:47 PM
Is my SWB 'older' style or 'newer' style? roro Sport Horses 6 03-07-2011 01:05 PM
Stretching - your methods Strange Dressage 7 10-13-2010 03:02 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0