Ok here is a rant thread because there is this one guy at the stable that I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND! Here are my reasons clearly stated in order of importance to me:
1. He breeds his horses for no apparent reason. Yes the sire and dam are registered, but seriously wth do we need more horses for?! And not only that, but his mares are always so beautiful and it is such a ridiculous shame to take a good working horse, and breed it every year until finally the poor animal looks like hell with a swayback and huge ribcage that won't go back in and all because he wanted to make a buck. SERIOUSLY?!
2. He has a complete moron train his horses. He hires a guy that is one of those fake cowboys you see that's all show and absolutely no brains. As a friend from the stable and I joke "their spurs are bigger then their...brains" (you get what we mean) They spur the horse the second they get on it because they want to cowboy it all up. Quite frankly, we find it incredibly difficult to not put them onto a horse that knows what its doing and tell them to "use their spurs on her...shes slow you will need to kick her hard" and then watch the mare give out a buck worthy of the Cowboy Hall of Fame
3. He brings out town people that know absolutely nothing about horses and have probably never seen one up close before and puts them on GREEN BROKE HORSES. It is only a matter of time til one gets seriously injured. Will he listen when we say this...NO..duh
4. He has a brood mare that last fall ran into some wire and severed her right front leg at the shoulder TO THE BONE. She completely healed, but he never gave her rehabilitation exercise or anything. The other day, he put a 250 lb man on her, keep in mind this is the 1st time someone has been on her in probably about 10 months, and she has had no working on her torn leg. She starts seriously limping after about 5 minutes and we looked at the guy and were like "Seriously?! She can barely walk! What are you thinking?!" And guess what he did...he put another person on her and made her walk more.
5. He keeps his yearlings in a pen the size of my living room. My living room is not large. Their pen is I'm guessing 12x17 feet, and there are 3 yearlings in there. The kicker, he only lets them out to run about once a week. Why does he do this? So he doesn't have to rent out another pen. (He pays rent only for one large pen for all his horses)
6. General stupidity and lack of horse sense. He tries "training" his yearlings to stand well and takes a clippers to their heads to clip them like arabians the first time he gets them tied and then hits them when they don't stand still. I don't think that he understands this is North Dakota, he raises quarter horses, and when you clip the inside of ears on a horse up here you need to keep a fly mask with ears on it. Quite honestly all the clipping most of us do up here is maintenance clipping- we clip about a 2 inch bridle path, and clip the legs to get the silly draft lookin hair off of 'em.
7. ALL HE DOES IS STAND AROUND AND DRINK BEER. It is so annoying. He stands there and drinks beer after beer after beer after beer after beer after beer...I think you get the point. He has his own huge garbage can at the stable just for his beer cans so he can recycle them. Fact: he recycles the garbage can about once a week. The garbage can is the big huge ones that holds 3 50lb bags of my feed. They hold like 125 gallons or something?
8. He says inappropriate things about younger girls. He is a 60 year old fatty that is moronic and drunk 70% of the time. I'm sorry, but us 20 year olds don't appreciate when you make a play at us or whistle at our booties when we walk away! I MEAN SERIOUSLY EW!
9. He clips his personal "riding gelding" completely. Shaves his mane, his ears, his face, his legs. This horse looks like a mule. It is pathetic and I feel for him. He no longer has any pride. It's sad.
10. He rides his horses in way to much gear and relies on tack, not proper training and man hours of riding, to make them do things. Example: he rides all his horses in a hugely thick tie-down because he believes them to be "unruly" when they carry their heads up. He thinks it's ugly unless their heads are down parallel to the withers. They have never been trained to put their heads down. I make this comment as a part 2 to the stupid trainers he hires.
Rant over I feel much better now!
Feel free to post stories about the one person at your stable that drives you nuts. Feel free to rant!