Opinions about buying a horse with arthritis - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Opinions about buying a horse with arthritis

This is a discussion on Opinions about buying a horse with arthritis within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree15Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
      #31
    Foal
    So, I've made my decision. She has been sound for the past two weeks, so I was going to schedule x-rays and get a clear cut answer. Well, I grabbed her from the pasture today and tacked her and warmed her up on the ground and she was worse than ever. So lame today, and she's been at pasture and didn't do any work yesterday. I've been doing a lot of inner reflection and I'm so busy that if I'm going to own a horse, I want to be able to ride as much as I want for as long as I want every time I go out there. There is no point in having a horse that is lame half the time I want to ride, with expensive upkeep, and unable to ride trails like I want to do. I told the owner and she said she totally understood. So the search continues...I'm going to keep exercising her when she's sound until I find a horse/the owner sells her. It sucks but I feel like I'm making the right decision.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
      #32
    Showing
    I think you're making the right decision too. You can still mess with her whenever you want, right? So that's something. One thing that I was going to mention before you made your decision is that 10 is awfully young to have a consistent mechanical lameness, regardless of whether it's from arthritis or something else. There are a lot of horses her age and younger that have arthritis from being used hard, but it doesn't cause lameness in them, only a slight hint of stiffness before warming them up.

    For her to have such problems that don't work themselves out within just a few minutes of warm-up, then it's something more serious than just slight arthritis and would likely require extensive and expensive treatment to keep her sound...if you could keep her sound at all.

    I'm sorry that you aren't able to get her, especially since she's such a nice horse, but you are making the right decision for the long term.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Buying a Horse with Arthritis? Linzie Horses for Sale 14 10-04-2012 04:09 PM
    Buying first horse, Advice and opinions needed. Bribrigirl111 Horse Talk 10 03-15-2012 12:44 PM
    Would arthritis be a deal breaker for buying an older horse? AlmostThere Horse Health 17 02-06-2010 05:10 PM
    opinions on buying the saddle before the horse? Gingerrrrr General Off Topic Discussion 16 06-27-2008 12:58 PM
    Buying a horse?! i need opinions! rolf4life Horse Training 5 05-02-2008 01:21 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0