Opinions Needed! Have to make a hard decision
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Opinions Needed! Have to make a hard decision

This is a discussion on Opinions Needed! Have to make a hard decision within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree8Likes
    • 1 Post By FutureRN
    • 4 Post By Cherie
    • 2 Post By AlexS
    • 1 Post By DancingArabian

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-06-2012, 11:23 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Opinions Needed! Have to make a hard decision

    Okay, here's the scoop:

    I have a friend who has quit riding b/c she's moving. Sold everything except one horse that I am currently leasing. Original plan was for me to ride & train the horse and then sell it for commission. Well, the plan was shot to heck when I decided I really liked the mare and didn't want my friend to sell her. Seeing as how I don't have the money to purchase her right now, we agreed upon a 1 year lease where I have some responsibilities for the horse- board, deworm, etc. The owner is responsible for farrier, vet care, etc. Keep in mind this horse came to me w/ little training. We agreed at the end of the lease I had the option to purchase the horse for a decided amount. Came up with a contract and everything was good to go until my friend decided to raise the end price by $500 b/c she has to pay for things for the horse throughout the year. Also am having trouble getting the contract and I feel she's stalling on the whole thing. W/o the contract nothing is set in stone. Also, I know what she got the horse for and it wasn't hardly more than the price of a small tv. I feel that I should not have to pay what she wants me to being that we're close and I've helped her out in the past. With a close friend, I would give them a heck of a deal on a horse like this...knowing they would give it a good home. I don't like the idea of making money off of close friends. My friend is very spratic and makes quick decisions and changes her mind often. She's supposedly moving halfway across the US. I'm one of her best friends and I am suddenly feeling very uncomfortable with the whole thing. I know it will be hard to get her to pay for the things she's responsible for and I'll probably end up paying myself.

    So question is do I stick with it and just deal or get out while I still can??
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
      #2
    Foal
    I don't own any horses and am new to the whole thing so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I think this sounds like a bad idea, possibly even a friendship ruiner. I would attempt one last time to get things situated and squared away and if she is still being weird just forget about it. I'm sorry, this is a hard situation to be in.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Jamzimm101987 likes this.
         
        09-06-2012, 11:42 PM
      #3
    Started
    If you don't have the money to buy the horse - do you have all the money to take care of the horse? Could you find some way instead of splitting the regular cost just take on all the cost yourself and pay off the horse in chunks? Such as paying $50 a month until she's paid off?
         
        09-07-2012, 12:18 AM
      #4
    Super Moderator
    Money and friendships very seldom mix well. It is difficult to have both. Make your choices. Offer her a cash-out amount or find a different horse to lease.
    Speed Racer, maura, boots and 1 others like this.
         
        09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
      #5
    Started
    The whole thing sounds like a bad idea to me. I think you will wind up having to pay a lot more than you should have to in a lease agreement. I would love to let someone lease my horse in this kind of arrangement...they pay all his care, I still own him and can do with him want I want....if only I could live with myself for taking advantage of another person.

    Make a reasonable offer to purchase the horse. If she declines, move on.
         
        09-07-2012, 12:45 AM
      #6
    Banned
    If you don't have a copy of the contract - then basically there is no contract, as there is nothing you could use in a court of law.

    The horse is $500 more than you agreed. That $500 is probably negotiable, so that makes it in the $250 range. (shrugs) I don't think that's a big deal really.
    Speed Racer and boots like this.
         
        09-07-2012, 02:49 AM
      #7
    Weanling
    My idea of a lease is that the leasee basically pays for everything ie feed, farrier, vet etc while the horse is in their care.
    If it was me I would say that I would pay all of the bills but stick to the original price but this all depends on much you want the horse and whether you can afford to cover the bills in the year. If you can't then maybe cut your losses and look for a more affordable lease option? Might be best to call it quits if she can't make up her mind or is wavering and save the friendship.
         
        09-07-2012, 05:22 AM
      #8
    Green Broke
    I think it would be really annoying because not only is she raising the price by $500, but you're also giving her horse a whole lot of training if at the end either of you decide not to sell/buy, which she essentially gets for free.

    On the other hand, she's doing you a big favour by delaying this sale and allowing a lease... I don't think I'd do that even for a friend. That's a year of extra responsibility and no sale money.

    Friendship and business do not work. I can't stress this enough.

    If you like this horse that much buy it now. Put half the money down and work out a payment plan, if she won't do that borrow some money or something if the horse is really that important. But this lease for a year then buy...I don't think it can end well.
         
        09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
      #9
    Green Broke
    This already seems like a bad deal. Either get a contract and make payments on her purchase price and shoulder all of the care or just step away. Friendship/family doesn't entitle you to a "deal" and she already seems to be stumbling with the whole situation and you haven't even made arrangements yet. The best thing you can do for your friendship is to buy the horse outright if you want her.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Speed Racer likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Having to make a hard decision... May be selling my boy LovesMyDunnBoy Horse Talk 8 05-16-2012 04:54 PM
    A hard decision Tayz Horse Talk 26 02-13-2012 04:59 AM
    I need some advice. Very hard decision. gothicangel69 Horse Talk 5 10-16-2011 05:47 PM
    A Hard Decision Phantom Legacy Horse Talk 9 10-17-2010 01:14 AM
    Having to make a hard decision soon-(vent) Sliding4ever Horse Talk 9 07-31-2008 01:30 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0