Opinions on trailer - The Horse Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,197
• Horses: 6
Opinions on trailer

So I've been wanting to buy a horse trailer for a while now. I came across one about an hour and a half from me, for $1000. "1988 2-h trailer, recently put in new floor, and rewired. Everything works"
It's 7'2 tall and 5' wide and she is going to measure the length for me. My horse is a 16hh TB, my mom has a 15hh Appy that she may want to trailer for trail rides with me, but that would be rare so it's not a necessity that they both fit. I have pics, and she said she does have the divider and will sell it with the trailer. My boyfriend is a welder so it can reinforce anything metal if it needs it, but it looks to be pretty solid.
What do you guys think? Good deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32635_10201055422094714_1216347285_n.jpg (30.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 67903_10201055422814732_1268109533_n.jpg (32.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 482681_10201055422254718_625525196_n.jpg (21.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 547542_565798273453371_95095353_n.jpg (41.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 734633_10201055423174741_1031769518_n.jpg (31.0 KB, 138 views)
Rachel1786 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 564
• Horses: 2
geez, for $1000 I think so! If possible, bring someone with you who knows what to look for and make sure the floor is good (though I think it looks pretty good in the pics). Wiring is fairly easy/cheap to re-do if it needs done anyway. You'll NEED to pull the wheels off and check/re-pack all the bearings.

I'd pick it up for $1000. A new coat of paint (could do it yourself) would make a HUGE difference in how it looks.
SnowCowgirl is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,197
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl View Post
geez, for $1000 I think so! If possible, bring someone with you who knows what to look for and make sure the floor is good (though I think it looks pretty good in the pics). Wiring is fairly easy/cheap to re-do if it needs done anyway. You'll NEED to pull the wheels off and check/re-pack all the bearings.

I'd pick it up for $1000. A new coat of paint (could do it yourself) would make a HUGE difference in how it looks.
I plan on bring my boyfriend who is a welder(he actually agreed to buy it for me!) And my moms friend who knows all about wood and wiring and such. My moms friend should know how to check the wheel bearings and such, biggest problem will be getting a time when they can both come lol
Palomine likes this.
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,877
• Horses: 0
Quote:
My horse is a 16hh TB, my mom has a 15hh Appy that she may want to trailer for trail rides with me, but that would be rare so it's not a necessity that they both fit
This im a little confused about.. because if your mom ever wants to go and her horse can't fit.. there would be no point in getting it lol
Casey02 is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,727
• Horses: 3
Nice. Check it out good.

And I'm confused about mom's horse but thinking you were saying that, because it is shown without divider?

I love the ramp.

Horses make me a better person.
Palomine is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,197
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey02 View Post
This im a little confused about.. because if your mom ever wants to go and her horse can't fit.. there would be no point in getting it lol
because I want to trailer my horse to lessons and maybe shows, so if I get the horse trailer and it won't fit both horses then we just can't take both out, or since the good trails are only a few minutes away(but curvy road with no shoulder so not safe to ride to) we could take 2 trips lol. Having a trailer to fit my horse is my only priority, it would just be a plus if we could load my moms horse on occasion. My mom hardly rides anyway, in the 2.5 years she has owned her horse, she has been on him twice and only at a walk.
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,197
• Horses: 6
Do you think 5' is wide enough to fit both horses? My moms horse is a bit of a wide load lol
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,877
• Horses: 0
Quote:
because I want to trailer my horse to lessons and maybe shows, so if I get the horse trailer and it won't fit both horses then we just can't take both out, or since the good trails are only a few minutes away(but curvy road with no shoulder so not safe to ride to) we could take 2 trips lol. Having a trailer to fit my horse is my only priority, it would just be a plus if we could load my moms horse on occasion. My mom hardly rides anyway, in the 2.5 years she has owned her horse, she has been on him twice and only at a walk.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, then I would most defiantly take a look at it. I would be a nice grab if nothing is wrong with it!
Casey02 is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,197
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey02 View Post
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, then I would most defiantly take a look at it. I would be a nice grab if nothing is wrong with it!
I realized afterwards that it was a bit confusing lol.

Anyone else have any opinions? Questions to ask before I see it? Things to look at when I see it?
I've never owned a horse trailer before, so I'm pretty clueless
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
It's definitely a better deal than what you'd get here in AB for $1000......a bucket full of rust, rotting tires and some resident skunks!
Muppetgirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96' adams horse trailer--opinions Dead Rabbit Horse Trailers 16 12-08-2012 09:32 AM
Trailer shopping:) Your opinions on these? Crescent Horse Trailers 6 11-30-2012 04:58 PM
Trailer brands/options ~ Opinions? mvinotime Horse Trailers 4 11-01-2012 07:12 PM
Opinions wanted on horse trailer Poco1220 Horse Trailers 13 02-16-2012 09:05 PM
opinions on trailer Walkamile Horse Talk 8 01-26-2009 07:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome