Our beautiful historic barn was put in jeopardy last night, rant
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Our beautiful historic barn was put in jeopardy last night, rant

This is a discussion on Our beautiful historic barn was put in jeopardy last night, rant within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree9Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
      #1
    Green Broke
    Angry Our beautiful historic barn was put in jeopardy last night, rant

    Last night the barn right next door to where I board Cinny burned to the ground. Many were on standby to relocate our horses, but luckily it wasn't necessary. The barn that burned housed rabbits. Many were rescued by the fire department but more than half perished. The rescued bunnies have been placed in our heated wash rack for now because the Fire department was unable to reach the owner last night.

    The fire was caused by an unattended space heater! This makes me a bit angry but the worst part is, the owners left the property completely, leaving loose rabbits with an unattended space heater? Hello???? My guess is a loose rabbit knocked it over!

    Their barn is very close to ours and the volunteer fire department spent a lot of their energy in preventing the fire from spreading to us as the neighbors barn was fully engulfed when they arrived.

    This is so sad, could have been so much worse and should never have even happened in the first place. I'm so so mad!

    barn fire.jpg
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
      #2
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    

    The fire was caused by an unattended space heater! This makes me a bit angry but the worst part is, the owners left the property completely, leaving loose rabbits with an unattended space heater? Hello???? My guess is a loose rabbit knocked it over!
    Some people are so ignorant..... glad your barn was spared...

    .
         
        12-07-2013, 01:06 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Thank goodness for those volunteer firefighters! Glad all is ok on your side of the fence.
         
        12-07-2013, 01:11 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    OMG! How horrible! It never fails to amaze me how stupid some people can be. A house burned down across the stree from me last winter for almost the same reason. A space heater left on with a dog in the house. Thank goodness your barn was spared. Bless those voulenteer fire fighters, it was down right NASTY out last night!
         
        12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    My BO just posted another pic, and it gives me the creeps. The trailers you see are OUR trailers. Just cut off of the left edge of the picture where the fire truck is, is our West barn and indoor arena. This is how close this thing was!

    We also have a head count of saved bunnies, it's just over 40. So sad that so many of the rest weren't saved, the voluteer fire departments were awesome...they didn't have to go into that barn to save any of them, but they did.

    barn fire 2.jpg
    KigerQueen likes this.
         
        12-07-2013, 01:23 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCnGrace    
    Thank goodness for those volunteer firefighters! Glad all is ok on your side of the fence.
    Here, here!! I have great respect for folks who are prepared to volunteer their time to tasks like this - it's much more than I could do.
         
        12-07-2013, 01:55 PM
      #7
    Foal
    How stupied can people get. Should have their heads checked out, people like that should not be owning any pets,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    KigerQueen likes this.
         
        12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    I finally got out to the barn with the intent of turning Cinny out. When it's below 15 degrees they don't turn out so he hasn't been turned out all week. I figured with that on top of last nights drama he'd be pretty worked up.

    The driveway was covered in a lot of ice as the fire trucks came in to our stable as it was easier to access the burning barn. I went in to Cinny's barn and I've never seen him fretting so much before. He looked like he hadn't slept all night and had worry wrinkles around his eyes. Head hung low, looking sulkily at me. I could almost hear him begging to get out as if he were speaking it.

    I took him right outside and he practically pulled me the whole way, which is rare, he's usually excellent on the lead. Turned him out and he had the most relieved look on his face. Now I feel bad that I have to go put him back in there later, but maybe he will have his head clear and after being able to see outside he will feel safe again.

    The barn next door is still smoldering :(
         
        12-07-2013, 06:36 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Stupid? Or interested in collecting insurance?
    Palomine and KigerQueen like this.
         
        12-08-2013, 12:27 AM
      #10
    Green Broke
    If they were loose hopefully some escaped. Not that that's a good life, but it's better than burning to death (though I'm sure the smoke did a lot...) poor things.
    Glad your horses and barn are all fine.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    HELP! Horse got loose in barn last night mpleasance Horse Health 25 06-15-2011 01:39 PM
    Friday Night at the Barn *PIC HEAVY* kstinson Horse Pictures 4 06-02-2011 02:41 PM
    Exhausted. (yet another late night rant) rocky pony Horse Talk 0 09-07-2010 05:15 AM
    Barn Drama.....rant rant rant Cinnys Whinny Horse Talk 11 06-04-2010 03:57 AM
    April was a butt head last night!!! I just need to rant... Angel_Leaguer Horse Talk 5 09-12-2008 09:21 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0