Last night the barn right next door to where I board Cinny burned to the ground. Many were on standby to relocate our horses, but luckily it wasn't necessary. The barn that burned housed rabbits. Many were rescued by the fire department but more than half perished. The rescued bunnies have been placed in our heated wash rack for now because the Fire department was unable to reach the owner last night.
The fire was caused by an unattended space heater! This makes me a bit angry but the worst part is, the owners left the property completely, leaving loose rabbits with an unattended space heater? Hello???? My guess is a loose rabbit knocked it over!
Their barn is very close to ours and the volunteer fire department spent a lot of their energy in preventing the fire from spreading to us as the neighbors barn was fully engulfed when they arrived.
This is so sad, could have been so much worse and should never have even happened in the first place. I'm so so mad!