Pacing horse - The Horse Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 1
Pacing horse

I have 5 horses at my barn and 4 of which belong to my dad and myself. The other one belongs to a friend of ours. My horse and our friends horses have become "friends", but mine is having leg issues and isn't being turned out. Whenever out friends horse is out on his own he marches back and forth up and down the fence lines. My dad felt bad for him yesterday and brought him back in the barn. I told him the horse isn't going to stop pacing the next time he is turned out if you keep giving him what he wants. Any advice on how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Horses Are Proof That God Loves Us and Wants Us to be Happy
Cmurdock57 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,389
• Horses: 2
I've never understood the whole pen them up because they are injured. Turn him out with his friends, let him be a horse and let him decide what he can and can't do with his injury. Pain is natures way of making us not overdo it until healed up. On top of that, I bet you'll find he heals up faster being out in the pasture then penned up.
boots likes this.
Darrin is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 1
Yeah I have been told this by several people but I was taking orders from the vet.

Horses Are Proof That God Loves Us and Wants Us to be Happy
Cmurdock57 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Milano,Texas
Posts: 1,105
• Horses: 0
Eh.let the horse pace. A horse of ours did it at first.
But water on food was way on the other side if the pasture soo.. It was be stupid and go hungry or chill out.
Horse lost weight then decided it was hungry and after a few Weeks mostly stopped pacing.

I can't stand a herd bound horse. Comes to an end here really quick.
Janna is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janna View Post
Eh.let the horse pace. A horse of ours did it at first.
But water on food was way on the other side if the pasture soo.. It was be stupid and go hungry or chill out.
Horse lost weight then decided it was hungry and after a few Weeks mostly stopped pacing.

I can't stand a herd bound horse. Comes to an end here really quick.
Yeah I was almost annoyed with his pacing. He could see the other horses across the road and there was even a another in the pasture below him.
Janna likes this.

Horses Are Proof That God Loves Us and Wants Us to be Happy
Cmurdock57 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,248
• Horses: 0
If the vet advised to keep your horse in keep the horse in. I had a horse go to surgery and was told to keep in. I kept the horse in with small hand walks when appropriate as advised by the equine surgeon. We went away on vacation and had a friend take care of the mare. I told them hand walks and stall rest. I don't know what they did but when I came home the pasture was torn up and the mare had a broken leg. Long story short we put the mare down and I never learned what happened to the horse while I was away. Some horses don't listen to pain but push through it and seriously injure themselves. It was really upsetting because she was the sweetest horse. Still, if you and your friends think you know better then your vets 8 years of education, 3,000,000.00 dollars of debt and years of on the ground experience then go for it. Just don't be ticked off when your stuck calling a back hoe and paying for that final injection.

Is there another horse that the pacing horse could go out with? If he does not hurt himself, the fence or other horses the let him figure out that pacing does not get him want he wants.
rookie is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Milano,Texas
Posts: 1,105
• Horses: 0
Yeah, unless he's psycho with it, he's fine.
If it's the one you said isn't yours and starts being ******ed herd bound and dangerous id have them take it somewhere else.
But do as your vet says. If my horse was hurt and the vet said keep it up, I would.
The other, someone elses horse. Their problem..
I actually wouldn't want my horse with it
Cmurdock57 likes this.
Janna is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,269
• Horses: 0
do you have adjoining pens/corrals? So there would be a friend near him?
I would never go away with a sick horse. If the horse is to be confined to keep it from galloping, getting kicked by another horse, Keep it confined.
Follow the Vets orders .
stevenson is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janna View Post
Yeah, unless he's psycho with it, he's fine.
If it's the one you said isn't yours and starts being ******ed herd bound and dangerous id have them take it somewhere else.
But do as your vet says. If my horse was hurt and the vet said keep it up, I would.
The other, someone elses horse. Their problem..
I actually wouldn't want my horse with it
Janna, you took the words out of my mouth lol. I honestly wish this horse never showed up at our barn. It's owner treats him like a child so he acts like one. She always asks me if I want to put my horse with hers, and always tell her "NO". My horse was injured a time before and I think it was because of her horse kicking him.

Horses Are Proof That God Loves Us and Wants Us to be Happy
Cmurdock57 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
If the vet advised to keep your horse in keep the horse in. I had a horse go to surgery and was told to keep in. I kept the horse in with small hand walks when appropriate as advised by the equine surgeon. We went away on vacation and had a friend take care of the mare. I told them hand walks and stall rest. I don't know what they did but when I came home the pasture was torn up and the mare had a broken leg. Long story short we put the mare down and I never learned what happened to the horse while I was away. Some horses don't listen to pain but push through it and seriously injure themselves. It was really upsetting because she was the sweetest horse. Still, if you and your friends think you know better then your vets 8 years of education, 3,000,000.00 dollars of debt and years of on the ground experience then go for it. Just don't be ticked off when your stuck calling a back hoe and paying for that final injection.

Is there another horse that the pacing horse could go out with? If he does not hurt himself, the fence or other horses the let him figure out that pacing does not get him want he wants.
Geez I don't think his injury is going to cost him his life for standing in his stall for a few days.

Horses Are Proof That God Loves Us and Wants Us to be Happy
Cmurdock57 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is my horse pacing his stall? kmesquivel Horse Talk 1 03-23-2012 01:28 PM
Thoroughbred horse pacing Sunda Horse Health 3 07-20-2010 05:30 PM
getting canter out of a pacing horse bellybaby Horse Training 1 03-12-2010 09:19 AM
Pacing horse thesilverspear Horse Health 4 08-20-2009 09:05 AM
how to stop a horse pacing rachealwatkins Horse Training 1 04-08-2008 12:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome