Putting a cover on a wet horse?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Putting a cover on a wet horse?

This is a discussion on Putting a cover on a wet horse? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Why can't you leave a horse wet
  • Putting blankets on damp horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
  #1
Started
Putting a cover on a wet horse?

I was about an hour and a half away from home today when I got the txt saying "ring me at home asap" -This always means something bad, it's just the extent that varies.
So I ring home and mum says "bubbles is out there shaking like a leaf and has a runny nose." So bubbles is 25 and is pretty hardy for her age but it is summer here and it was so dry and hot with no rain and suddenly (of course while I was away) BAM suddenly it starts pouring down and it is freezing.
Can you put a cover on a cold wet horse or do I have to sit here feeling guilty because my poor old girl is out there wet and I can't do anything?

I have canvas rugs that are blanket lined, I have synthetic rugs, I have canvas summer rugs and I have towels and a polar fleece rug.
Can I put any of these on a wet horse? Or can I dry her off as much as possible and then put a rug or two on?

My poor aussie imported 7yo tb gelding is outside in the cold shivering too, unfortunately I do not have sheds or stables they can go in to, they only have trees and walls for shelter.

I will be going back up to check on them again all very soon so any help would be great.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-23-2011, 12:21 AM
  #2
Super Moderator
If you had a wool or polar fleece cooler, you could put that on underneath the waterproof out blanket, even if the horse is still damp. I would towel her down vigorously first, tho.
In the old days, people used to put straw under the blanket if the horse was still wet, but in those days, I think the blankets were all breathable, not like nylon which doesn't breathe.
     
    01-23-2011, 12:24 AM
  #3
Super Moderator
I've put a blanket on Lacey when she's wet many times and she's never had anything bad happen because of it. I don't LIKE doing that, but like you said, sometimes weird weather happens.
When that happens, I take it off the next day and switch blankets so the one that got kinda wet on the inside can air out and I like to thoroughly groom her before putting a fresh blanket on, just in case. But other than that, it's been fine in my experience.

If she's shivering and very wet, I'd say to heck with all the "maybe"s and just blanket her. And especially since it's summer, it's not like you're going to leave the blanket on for the next three months without removing it (or, at least, I hope you don't! Haha).
     
    01-23-2011, 12:33 AM
  #4
Started
Tinyliny: thankyou I will go out there now and put her polar fleece on underneath her synthetic rug, hopefully that will help.

Wallaby: Heck no, no way I would be leaving my horses covers on for 3 months straight in any weather!! I have enough blankets I can swap and change them and I swap and change with the materials too, so they don't get itchy or annoyed. -Even in winter I try to take the rugs off as much as I can, If I can't though I groom thoroughly and then put on a clean rug... Especially in maulting season haha.
     
    01-23-2011, 12:41 AM
  #5
Weanling
HollyBubbles - similar situation here! , the weather in Aucks is INSANE! Had hail and all, it has been raining sideways all day and the wind is blowing a gail - so much for the 25 degrees plus weve been having. We blanketed wet and will change tomorrow - unfortunately it is supposed to be hanging around for a few days so that will hamper drying out but it is better than the alternative.
     
    01-23-2011, 12:43 AM
  #6
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBubbles    

Wallaby: Heck no, no way I would be leaving my horses covers on for 3 months straight in any weather!! I have enough blankets I can swap and change them and I swap and change with the materials too, so they don't get itchy or annoyed. -Even in winter I try to take the rugs off as much as I can, If I can't though I groom thoroughly and then put on a clean rug... Especially in maulting season haha.
Oh good! lol!
At the place I used to keep Lacey, that's what they'd do, blanket their horses in the fall and not take the blankets off until the spring. I was SO shocked when I found that out, I mean, who would do that? It just seems like an all around bad idea. Then they'd wonder why their horses seemed to be prone to skin issues. Geez, I wonder why! O.o
I do the same thing with Lacey's blankets! I'm basically OCD with them. Haha!
     
    01-23-2011, 01:04 AM
  #7
Started
Quote:
HollyBubbles - similar situation here! , the weather in Aucks is INSANE! Had hail and all, it has been raining sideways all day and the wind is blowing a gail - so much for the 25 degrees plus weve been having. We blanketed wet and will change tomorrow - unfortunately it is supposed to be hanging around for a few days so that will hamper drying out but it is better than the alternative.
Do my eye's deceive me or have I finally managed to come across another kiwi?
Bubbles has a polarfleece and a synthetic on, Mitchell has a wool/blanket lined canvas on... They are slightly happier now, although it has only been around 15minutes so they are still drying off
     
    01-23-2011, 01:09 AM
  #8
Weanling
Lol, yup - guilty as charged, we are an elusive breed it would appear ;P

120kmph winds apparantly and set to continue - weve had two rather large trees come down. Which has brought down part of our fence line so watching the others like a hawk - we are surrounded by the bush and the creeking is rather ominous - last big storm we got , we lost our power and electricity due to trees in the bush that our cables run down through.

I'm watching it carefully as the humidity will spike undoubtedly
     
    01-23-2011, 01:15 AM
  #9
Yearling
If I were you I'd put a cooler on under the waterproof blanket and then in an hour or so go and take the cooler off. If you leave the wet cooler on under the blanket there is a chance rain rot can begin to grow. Granted its going to take more than a day for rain rot to begin growing and from what you said you check on your horses so it shouldn't be a problem. I had a similar incident this summer. 17 year old gelding who's never been cold in rain before, brought him in for a lesson and he could barely stand was shivering so bad. Ended up putting 2 thick coolers on him. We had a barn to tack up in though, you said you don't
     
    01-23-2011, 01:20 AM
  #10
Started
Quote:
lol, yup - guilty as charged, we are an elusive breed it would appear ;P

120kmph winds apparantly and set to continue - weve had two rather large trees come down. Which has brought down part of our fence line so watching the others like a hawk - we are surrounded by the bush and the creeking is rather ominous - last big storm we got , we lost our power and electricity due to trees in the bush that our cables run down through.

I'm watching it carefully as the humidity will spike undoubtedly
Yaay, there's not many of us is there haha, I'm even in the same island, but about 6-8 hours away I think haha. I've only been up there once and that was for my 5th birthday, so nearly 11 years ago. (we went to the zoo and I wandered off and got lost by the meercat enclosure, oops)

Oh dear :S
My miniature was standing underneath a tree on my lawn last time we had strong winds, and all hell broke loose when the powerline above the tree came down only meters infront of her. Needless to say both her and I were freaking out, thankfully nothing bad became of it.
I have a river 20m below my house which will undoubtedly rise quickly. We have had nearly 75mL of rain today, (feel free to stop raining mother nature we have enough for right now!!)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
putting weight on a horse, how-to? newbierider Horse Nutrition 8 11-01-2010 01:11 PM
Putting horse in place. Dock Horse Training 1 08-07-2010 12:54 PM
My horse is on the cover of "back in the saddle'! Junebug Horse Pictures 15 03-11-2010 07:12 PM
Putting my Horse on a Diet JumpersRule Horse Health 9 02-09-2010 12:03 PM
Putting weight on a horse eclecticstar Horse Health 15 01-21-2009 09:26 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0