I have a question for those who feed round bales to their horses-- what do you do about the mold that is around the outside of the bale? I know mold is not ok for horses (or even my goats).
The times we have gotten round bales , we have had to take time to peal off the big ring of mold all around the outside of the bale and inhaling that mold is not good for anyone, let alone me with my bad respiratory system.
I would love to have the size of a big round bale, but hate to have to mess with the mold. Plus I always feel as if money is wasted when the moldy hay is unusable and you can't feed the entire bale.
We have purchased round bales from several different people and towns, but everyone of them had mold. We had one bale that had two feet of mold all the way around it.