Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Without anything in writing that is a tough call. Personally, if I didn't have a written agreement, I would go by what I understood to be the agreement.
If the buyer did not show up or contact me as I expected them to and I wasn't able to reach them in a reasonable amount of time, I would keep the deposit. My rational is that the horse could have been sold to someone else and now I have to re-advertise; that is besides the fact that I had to board the horse and not ride him during the time I was waiting.
The OP is the perfect reason to get things in writing.
I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
It's not always what you say but what they hear.