Registered Horses Inquiry?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Registered Horses Inquiry?

This is a discussion on Registered Horses Inquiry? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Where to find pictures of registered horses
  • Horse inquiry

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
  #1
Foal
Registered Horses Inquiry?

Hi, everybody :) The newbie again. I said in my introduction I sincerely apologize for any questions that I may ask, that are obvious to some (admittedly green-rider, but I figured ask and learn than look stupid and not know.)

So I was looking at horses for sale ads...testing the water, if you will. I'd been speaking to this one lady about her horse and it's reasonable considering listed on craigslist...and the horse is registered (500.) My mother and trainer have been talking and while it's early, they think it would be nice for me to learn with my own since I am good with my trainer's lesson horses but truthfully there aren't many places I can ride with other horses and get a feel of difference. I can tell you now that her three are ALL very much different. One is like the school teacher, other you have to push, and the last just doesn't want to stop. I for the most part, have them down pact. The nice thing is also knowing my trainer isn't just trying to make some money, since learning on my own horse would be less than on hers :)

The lady said she was registered and her latest email said she can't print the horse's papers at the moment/as of right now, so she will just show me them by hand (er...keyboard) and then later print them if she officially becomes mine properly.

OKAY. SO I ADMIT. I'm like "...errr...sure...?" Not going to just flat-out buy the horse, of course. I am going to talk to my trainer, visit her a few times, etc. And even then it's not guaranteed and I only asked about papers because her ad said she was a purebred, so I was you know, curious.

But can I just say that her writing it out just TOTALLY CONFUSED ME. I have no idea of what this says! LOL Ashamed to say, but jeez! Can someone you know...decode? Is there some alien language I am missing? I bet I sound like some foolish kid, I know. Eeek. I'd rather rely here than Google (dreaded place for most everything).

Answers??
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
  #2
Trained
I would be super leery of this situation.

I can show you a picture of any registered horse's paperwork that looks similar to the one I'm selling too. Although for $500, what's the point? For $5000, I can see someone trying to scam, but $500?

In order for the horse to be transferred into your name, you need the ORIGINAL HARDCOPY PAPERS, with the back signed off from the previous owner.

If she doesn't have the papers, she should be advertising the horse as "registered" Sure she is, but can you really, truly prove it?

In this type of situation, I bet only 10% of people that purchase a horse like this, actually get the papers. The other 90% end up getting screwed.
     
    02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
  #3
Foal
When I bought my Clydesdale one of the first things the owner showed me other than the horse of course. Was her original registration certificate and told me, about the process and how it works. Depends on what you are planning on doing with the horse too. If its showing the papers are usually a requirement from my limited experience so far.
     
    02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
I would be super leery of this situation.

I can show you a picture of any registered horse's paperwork that looks similar to the one I'm selling too. Although for $500, what's the point? For $5000, I can see someone trying to scam, but $500?

In order for the horse to be transferred into your name, you need the ORIGINAL HARDCOPY PAPERS, with the back signed off from the previous owner.

If she doesn't have the papers, she should be advertising the horse as "registered" Sure she is, but can you really, truly prove it?

In this type of situation, I bet only 10% of people that purchase a horse like this, actually get the papers. The other 90% end up getting screwed.

Okay, phew. I was just making sure I wasn't crazy, because while I'm not the most horse-knowledgeable candidate out there, I do know enough that registered horses can be quite expensive. I was also wondering if it factored into the fact that the horse is 20? I didn't think it was a big factor, but still wondered. And also that the mare might be out of shape -- I need to ask her for a side-shot, since the pictures given aren't the best. This forum has actually made me more wary when buying now, in case I get something I didn't bargain for.

I emailed her back, asking if there is a fee WITH the papers (cause if there is, truthfully I'd say 'screw it.' I actually don't care about registered horses, etc. Personally think that beneath all the fancy names, it's still a horse no matter how much we label them.)
     
    02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin30    
When I bought my Clydesdale one of the first things the owner showed me other than the horse of course. Was her original registration certificate and told me, about the process and how it works. Depends on what you are planning on doing with the horse too. If its showing the papers are usually a requirement from my limited experience so far.
Oh, yeah! It was mostly for curiosity's sake, and I told her that as well. Whatever the case, I have no interest in showing, jumping, or anything like that. I just want a good 'ole friend in the pasture, for casual riding :) Though, when we were talking before in email and I asked about them (though I CAN let it go, just want to get a feel of the situation), she said she'd get her daughter to email me back. That was about a month ago, and she had just now replied with the maybe written papers.
     
    02-19-2012, 11:40 PM
  #6
Trained
Honestly, I'd pass on this horse. The owner doesn't sound very organized or helpful. She doesn't sound very "horse savvy" and it's absolutely ridiculous that she is JUST getting back to you after 1 month. Plus, the horse is still on the market after that long. Something just isn't right.

With so many horses for sale at a cheap price right now, I'm sure you can find a nice, knowledgeable horse person to purchase from. I wouldn't waste my breath on a person like this, much less any bit of my time.
     
    02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
  #7
Foal
Yeah, reading this is what I was also thinking ^^ I mean, we are trying for less than 900 and our expense is actually better than most (free boarding because it's with a friend, only have to purchase feed.) We've talked about prices and what we can afford because as it's stated more times than I can count in other threads, the horse is likely the least expensive part! We're sure there are more out there aside from this mare. But I thought that it might be good to get an older mare (hear so much praise about the been there, done that type) to teach me but like you said. A lot of good, cheap horses out there. Just have to find 'em and be patient.
     
    02-20-2012, 12:24 AM
  #8
Trained
^^^ Exactly. Take your time finding that perfect horse. And older isn't always better. All depends on the horse. We sold a 5 year old that was bombproof. And I don't take the word "bombproof" lightly. Cars, semis, 4-wheelers, motorcycles, bicyclists, parades, shows, children, trailers, dogs. Everything you can think of, he was exposed to. We sold him to a mother who wanted a nice calm, mount for her young daughter. I've ridden some strong willed older horses, and all my horses have been trained very well from a young age. All are easy to handle and do great in unorthodox situations. (Because I like to see what they'll do)

For under $900, you can find yourself some AMAZING horses!

Also getting an older horse can open up a whole new set of problems. Arthritis, they tend to be harder to keep weight on ='s more food. More frequent dental work, lameness issues. Of course every horse is different and will age differently but as horses get up there in age, the more health problems that occur.

Have you looked on dreamhorse.com, equine.com, horseclicks.com? Craigslist.com usually has quite a few horses on there, but a lot of times, you'll deal with more shady people on that site.

Just be aware! Knowledge is power! And don't rush into anything that isn't "just right"

:-D
     
    02-20-2012, 12:38 AM
  #9
Yearling
If the horse in question is registered, she can't just print new paperes they must come from the association. So its really fishy. And all though papers don't mean anything to you. My experience in the horse world, if shed lie about the papers, she very well could be lying about other stuff about the horse as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-20-2012, 12:45 AM
  #10
Yearling
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2 horses are registered the same, BUT... Corporal Gaited Horses 9 12-13-2011 08:21 PM
Registered Quarter Horses katieandduke Horse Breeds 6 09-06-2010 11:29 PM
Any registered horses for sale in Texas? AppysForLife Horses for Sale 3 04-08-2010 03:34 PM
Registered Miniature Horses for sale CheyAut Horses for Sale 3 12-08-2008 12:58 PM
Inquiry on australian saddles Löhnr Horse Tack and Equipment 15 01-30-2008 11:39 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0