Registered or not registered?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Registered or not registered?

This is a discussion on Registered or not registered? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Do fresians make good endurance horses
  • Help on a not registered horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
  #1
Foal
Registered or not registered?

Hello

Just looking for some advice please. Im keeping an eye on friesians for sale. What is the difference in registered and non registered horses? I realisethey obviously arent registered to the friesian horse society but there doesnt seem to be much difference in price!

Is it easy to register a horse? What is it for?

Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
  #2
Trained
Registered horses are worth more.

You can follow their pedigree incase of genetic diseases. And youll also know that they are purebred. They can show in breed shows and earn points/status/money.

A non registered horse, even if purebred, is considered a Grade in my book.

If a horse can be registered it should be. Certain qualifications must be met in order to get papers. Sometimes it can be a major hassle, sometimes is super easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
  #3
Showing
Registry is very important in a Friesian especially - particularly the type of registry. Some Friesian "registries" we're set up to allow crossbreeding or to have a place to register a Friesian crossbred, and they're not great.
I will come back to this when I have a keyboard and can provide links.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-21-2012, 05:22 AM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
Registered horses are worth more.

You can follow their pedigree incase of genetic diseases. And youll also know that they are purebred. They can show in breed shows and earn points/status/money.

A non registered horse, even if purebred, is considered a Grade in my book.

If a horse can be registered it should be. Certain qualifications must be met in order to get papers. Sometimes it can be a major hassle, sometimes is super easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you that's a big help! So its kind of like dog registrys, nothing wrong with a nonreg but with registered you will know its not a mixed breed!
     
    07-21-2012, 05:23 AM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
Registry is very important in a Friesian especially - particularly the type of registry. Some Friesian "registries" we're set up to allow crossbreeding or to have a place to register a Friesian crossbred, and they're not great.
I will come back to this when I have a keyboard and can provide links.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks that's really helpful! Look forward to seeing the links
     
    07-21-2012, 10:42 AM
  #6
Green Broke
Depends on the horse and what you want to do with it. You can't ride papers.
You need to ask yourself if the papers add value to you for your purpose.
I can get on a TWH and ride it a couple laps around a field , and look at its shape and know if it is pure bred enough for me, I also refuse to give the TWHBEA a penny of my money either by registering or attending any of their shows. My mare was registered but I wont ever transfer into my name.

Currently I am shopping for an Endurance Arabian. Registration of the horse and parents are important to me. Beyond basic confirmation I can't tell if horse will make a good endurance prospect. I would choose to stack the deck by looking at bloodline. Yeh I am sure Secretariat bred some dud offspring, but if you wanted to win a race and you had to pick between Secretariat's son, and Old Bob who would you choose ?
     
    07-21-2012, 01:22 PM
  #7
Started
Hi,
I don't know much about registries or friesians. I do know that the friesian registry is really hard to get into. I know someone who purchased a 4 year old stallion friesian and thought they could register it and it would be worth the cost its initial purchase price. Well, the horse was no where near pretty enough or behaved enough to be registered. It also had a habit of charging and striking out in the round pen. If you were looking to have a horse registered or were thinking of breeding get registration. As I understand the friesian registry you can't register horses that were not out of registered parents. You can easily pay a lot of money for a horse and expect to be able to register it and then not. Its not just saying the horse is out of this or that parent its about having its conformation and attitude along with that they can do in the showing that dictates the level of registration and if registration is offered. If I was interested in the friesian horse I would research the registry because its really easy to spent a lot of money on a horse that's not necessarily worth it. I might be totally wrong about the registry and please correct me if I am.
     
    07-23-2012, 10:46 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
depends on the horse and what you want to do with it. You can't ride papers.
You need to ask yourself if the papers add value to you for your purpose.
I can get on a TWH and ride it a couple laps around a field , and look at its shape and know if it is pure bred enough for me, I also refuse to give the TWHBEA a penny of my money either by registering or attending any of their shows. My mare was registered but I wont ever transfer into my name.

Currently I am shopping for an Endurance Arabian. Registration of the horse and parents are important to me. Beyond basic confirmation I can't tell if horse will make a good endurance prospect. I would choose to stack the deck by looking at bloodline. Yeh I am sure Secretariat bred some dud offspring, but if you wanted to win a race and you had to pick between Secretariat's son, and Old Bob who would you choose ?
Tbh id use the horse for hacking, schooling and mayb some dressage but not competing!
From what your saying I think id still prefer a registered horse for piece of mind that uv paid for a pure breed and not a cross etc! Thanks ur info has really helped!
Ashley
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-23-2012, 10:48 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie    
Hi,
I don't know much about registries or friesians. I do know that the friesian registry is really hard to get into. I know someone who purchased a 4 year old stallion friesian and thought they could register it and it would be worth the cost its initial purchase price. Well, the horse was no where near pretty enough or behaved enough to be registered. It also had a habit of charging and striking out in the round pen. If you were looking to have a horse registered or were thinking of breeding get registration. As I understand the friesian registry you can't register horses that were not out of registered parents. You can easily pay a lot of money for a horse and expect to be able to register it and then not. Its not just saying the horse is out of this or that parent its about having its conformation and attitude along with that they can do in the showing that dictates the level of registration and if registration is offered. If I was interested in the friesian horse I would research the registry because its really easy to spent a lot of money on a horse that's not necessarily worth it. I might be totally wrong about the registry and please correct me if I am.
Ur totally right! From what I've read up on they are very strict on registry. Eg no white permited except upto 2cm on the face. Thanks you hav been a massive help!
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with a registered name MrBeCharming Horse Talk 4 05-21-2012 12:30 AM
Need registered name! howrsegirl123 Horse Talk 9 04-30-2012 01:40 PM
New name/Registered name!! Need help! HorsesAreForever Horse Talk 9 04-27-2012 11:03 AM
Can someone please help with a registered name? Chess46 Horse Talk 6 10-02-2009 12:41 AM
Help with a registered name? spazzattack Horse Talk 0 06-20-2009 01:21 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0