Rescuing vs Buying?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Rescuing vs Buying?

This is a discussion on Rescuing vs Buying? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree26Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Rescuing vs Buying?

    So I likely won't be getting a horse for a long, long, long time but I visited a World Horse Welfare Charity yard with college the other day for my behaviour and welfare lesson (Penny Farm in Blackpool if anyones interested) anyway, after seeing first hand abused and abandoned horses and seeing and hearing about success stories but failures too, it got me thinking. Whats better rescuing or buying?

    Like I said I won't be getting a horse anytime in the near future, but i'd just like to hear other peoples opinions and stories about rescuing vs buying?

    After visiting the yard, it made me think that one day I might like to rescue a horse, it was so heartwarming to see these horses being rehabilitated and getting another chance of life. Some of the stories we're really heartbreaking, but with rescuing you can encounter a lot of problems, both mentally and physically and I think a lot of the horses could only go to a owner of a certain level of experience.

    Anyway, what are your opinions, would you rather rescue or buy? Have you ever rescued?...
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-27-2014, 06:40 PM
      #2
    Showing
    There's usually a reason a horse is at auction. Not all of them are there because their owners can't afford them anymore; many of them have behavioral or physical issues.

    As long as you go into buying/adopting a horse about which you know absolutely nothing with the mindset that they may be damaged beyond repair, then by all means do it. However, the absolute WORST reason to take on any animal is because you feel sorry for it.

    Be realistic about it, otherwise you could very well find yourself in over your head with an expensive, maybe dangerous pasture puff.

    I don't buy at auctions and would never adopt from a rescue. One has too many variables, and the other tends to have too many ridiculous conditions.
         
        04-27-2014, 06:47 PM
      #3
    Green Broke
    Many people are against rescuing because you never actually own the animal. Sorry, but pay to feed, shoe, vet, train, etc the horse I should be entitled to FULL ownership of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-27-2014, 06:47 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    There's usually a reason a horse is at auction. Not all of them are there because their owners can't afford them anymore; many of them have behavioral or physical issues.

    As long as you go into buying/adopting a horse about which you know absolutely nothing with the mindset that they may be damaged beyond repair, then by all means do it. However, the absolute WORST reason to take on any animal is because you feel sorry for it.

    Be realistic about it, otherwise you could very well find yourself in over your head with an expensive, maybe dangerous pasture puff.

    I don't buy at auctions and would never adopt from a rescue. One has too many variables, and the other tends to have too many ridiculous conditions.
    This isn't actually something i'm going to do, apart from maybe in 20 years or so and only after a lot of though. The thing I liked with this charity I visited they take the horse in and keep it for 18 months or so and then completely restart them, at least then you get some reassurance that you went end up with a complete psychopath, they were also very honest about each horse and would tell you everything and not hind things.

    I would never take in an animal just because I feel sorry for it, it would have to suit my purposes, whether that be a future mount or just a companion. I've never been to an auction but I don't think I would ever buy from one, but like I said, I may consider adopting from a rescue.
         
        04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    Many people are against rescuing because you never actually own the animal. Sorry, but pay to feed, shoe, vet, train, etc the horse I should be entitled to FULL ownership of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Hmm, now I think about it. I'm not too sure if that would bother me because if I made every decision about that horse but didn't have FULL ownership, would that bother me personally?, I don't think so, unless they decided one day for no reason they wanted the horse back then yes that would bother me, but I don't know if they can actually do that... However I can see why that would put people off rescuing.
         
        04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    So I've never gone through a 'rescue organization' I have had a rescue horse (and animals).

    My horse was a rescue and he has his fair share of issues. I love him to death but he will never be a sane horse no matter how much time I've put into him.

    Throughout my years of rescuing and rehabilitating animals I've noticed that it's a 50/50 chance of them ever being 'normal'. Some go back to being sane and very good family/beginner animals and some are ones that should only be handled by experts and even then are unpredictable. And of course some are in between.

    I've bought horses before and had the same issues of whether or not someone was drugging a horse, whether they were sane or whether I was a good fit.

    In short I think it depends upon the horse and how well you do with it. I rescue when I can (lord knows I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and others I've placed that attest to that!) but sometimes it's better to see who you click with and get along with.
    Chasin Ponies likes this.
         
        04-27-2014, 07:03 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamBadger    
    This isn't actually something i'm going to do, apart from maybe in 20 years or so and only after a lot of though. The thing I liked with this charity I visited they take the horse in and keep it for 18 months or so and then completely restart them, at least then you get some reassurance that you went end up with a complete psychopath, they were also very honest about each horse and would tell you everything and not hind things.

    I would never take in an animal just because I feel sorry for it, it would have to suit my purposes, whether that be a future mount or just a companion. I've never been to an auction but I don't think I would ever buy from one, but like I said, I may consider adopting from a rescue.
    I do want to say that my gelding wasn't restarted until 3 years after he was rescued and he's still insane. Sometimes the damage is too great to undo. (I still love him to death though!)
         
        04-27-2014, 07:04 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamBadger    
    Hmm, now I think about it. I'm not too sure if that would bother me because if I made every decision about that horse but didn't have FULL ownership, would that bother me personally?, I don't think so, unless they decided one day for no reason they wanted the horse back then yes that would bother me, but I don't know if they can actually do that... However I can see why that would put people off rescuing.
    I believe that basically they can do whatever they want.

    You may find this recent thread a worthwhile read regarding rescues and contracts.

    Http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/question-regarding-horse-adoption-contract-402050/

    As the poster above said, you don't have to go to a rescue to rescues a horse.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-27-2014, 07:07 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Incitatus32    
    So I've never gone through a 'rescue organization' I have had a rescue horse (and animals).

    My horse was a rescue and he has his fair share of issues. I love him to death but he will never be a sane horse no matter how much time I've put into him.

    Throughout my years of rescuing and rehabilitating animals I've noticed that it's a 50/50 chance of them ever being 'normal'. Some go back to being sane and very good family/beginner animals and some are ones that should only be handled by experts and even then are unpredictable. And of course some are in between.

    I've bought horses before and had the same issues of whether or not someone was drugging a horse, whether they were sane or whether I was a good fit.

    In short I think it depends upon the horse and how well you do with it. I rescue when I can (lord knows I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and others I've placed that attest to that!) but sometimes it's better to see who you click with and get along with.
    So I guess your at risk whatever you do, like you say sellers may drug their horses to make them appear calm. I rescued one of my dogs and she has problems but I wouldn't change her for the world. I agree, it depends on who you click with.

    One of the things I was thinking about is that I see people breeding poor quality horses all the time with bad conformation or bad temperaments and theres so many horses out there who need rescuing, so maybe instead of breeding just for the sake of wanting a 'cute baby', why not rescue a yearling and train yourself like you would with your foal? Just another one of my thoughts.
         
        04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    I believe that basically they can do whatever they want.

    You may find this recent thread a worthwhile read regarding rescues and contracts.

    Question regarding horse adoption contract

    As the poster above said, you don't have to go to a rescue to rescues a horse.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Its a good point, you don't have to go through rescues to recuse. My dog was rescued but we didn't go through a rescue, we took her out of an abusive situation after being told about it by a family member who knew about the situation (its a long complicated story).

    Thank you for the link about the adoptions contracts, i'll definitely have a read.

    I'm just looking at different arguments for rescuing to get some other sides, which I can add to my assignments at college to get a bigger picture, so all opinions are welcome
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Rescuing A Horse? Breezy2011 Horse Talk 17 11-04-2013 04:44 PM
    Rescuing a TB in Panama prafael Horse Breeds 1 04-24-2013 05:22 PM
    The difference between RESCUING and HOARDING TeeBee Horse Training 28 09-29-2010 08:08 PM
    Shouldn't you be rescuing? Clementine Horse Breeding 190 10-18-2009 05:40 PM
    I'm going to be rescuing/adopting a belgium! BurningAmber520 Draft Horses 9 07-15-2009 03:34 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0