Is it rude to make an offer, then back out if you find something better?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Is it rude to make an offer, then back out if you find something better?

This is a discussion on Is it rude to make an offer, then back out if you find something better? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Offering to do something then backing out

Like Tree146Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-25-2013, 03:12 AM
  #1
Foal
Question Is it rude to make an offer, then back out if you find something better?

Two horses, and I can only choose one. Here is my problem.


There is this BEAUTIFUL dun mare (see horse pictures forum for the post of her). She is 11, she isn't a fast horse, mainly used for trail riding. She is short, I mean she is 14.1hh short, but she is stocky. She doesn't like her face being washed so she steps back, and she disagrees with being cinched sometimes. I have made an offer on her and the owner has accepted it, but nothing will be paid or moved until Sunday.

The problem. I came across this gelding who may be better for me. He is 6 years old, taller, trained in both english and western, he is good on trails, he is mellow and has no problems being washed, feet picked up, stands for being saddled, and is also good looking.

They are the same price. Part of me wants to stick with the mare because the owner has accepted the offer, and I don't want to be rude and say "No I found something better", but I really think this gelding might be a better match for me. I ride both english and western, I love jumping and barrels, so finding a guy that can do both is ideal. I mean I won't compete in anything, just do things for fun, but the gelding seems like more of the "whole package" rather then the mare who is just trained western and hasn't jumped anything before in her life.


Advice on backing out of an offer? Should I stick with the mare that I have been looking at for a couple weeks because the owner accepted an offer on her? Or should I back out because I think I found something better suited for me? How do I go about letting the owner down that I might not purchase her horse?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-25-2013, 03:18 AM
  #2
Started
To me? Did you ask to buy the horse and make it clear that you would at x price? If so, I do think its rude to back out.
They may need that cash, and writing checks they can't cash on your word....
Posted via Mobile Device
nvr2many likes this.
     
    06-25-2013, 03:18 AM
  #3
Foal
I want to ride enlgish**
     
    06-25-2013, 03:21 AM
  #4
Started
Are you going to be happier with the gelding than you will the mare? Sounds like the answer is yes.

I experienced a similar situation when I bought Jackson, I was in a year long free lease on a TB mare, with the option to buy at the end. I had told them that yes, I would be buying and we started casually talking about paper work and then my farrier mentioned the horse she was selling. I tried him part way through my lease on the TB and it was like night and day. I wasn't a hunter rider, I wanted something with a little more 'spunk' and ended up buying Jackson, told them I wasn't buying the TB and they took her back (although I had been willing to hold onto her until the end of the lease). Were there hard feelings? I think so. But if I had stayed with the mare I would have been miserable, turns out my gut feeling was right, I've seen her at shows and while she's a nice looking horse she is 100% not for me and I'm beyond happy with my decision.

Test the gelding and then test him again, make sure he's really what you want and you haven't fallen in love with the idea, and inform the mare owner that you've thought about it and she really isn't the right horse for you. People back out of sales all the time, and as long as you don't have a contract signed you aren't bound to this horse. Just don't buy her because you want to 'be nice', sometimes you have to think of yourself, not other people.
     
    06-25-2013, 03:24 AM
  #5
Foal
The person who has the horse right now is a middle man between the owner and me (she is a trainer). She said there has been a lot of people interested in her, but she wanted her to go to me. So she made my offer to the owner and he accepted it. I really don't think she would have a problem reselling this mare because she is so good looking and well bred... I just think that the gelding could be a better match for me.

I am really embarrassed that he was brought up to me AFTER I made the offer. And I really don't want to be rude about it to her... but if I think the gelding might be a better match for ME, shouldn't I back out?
     
    06-25-2013, 03:24 AM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phly    
To me? Did you ask to buy the horse and make it clear that you would at x price? If so, I do think its rude to back out.
They may need that cash, and writing checks they can't cash on your word....
Posted via Mobile Device
Phly, people back out of sales all the time. It isn't ideal, but so long as OP wasn't 'pulling the wool over her eyes' I don't think it's rude at all. It isn't the OP's issue if the seller needs money, the OP's objective is to find the best horse for her. I would hope the seller is smart enough to hold off on spending money they don't yet have.
doubleopi and littleerin5 like this.
     
    06-25-2013, 03:25 AM
  #7
Weanling
If you've already made an offer and they've accepted... if it were me selling the horse, I'd be annoyed. But you haven't given the money, so you can do what you want, but prepared for her to be a bit peed off.
AlexS, nvr2many and paintgirl96 like this.
     
    06-25-2013, 03:29 AM
  #8
Green Broke
I'm unfamiliar with US law but that won't stop me from saying you have made a verbal contract (or maybe it's in writing - I don't know) with the owner to buy the mare. There is a possibility that if you back out now and the owner has turned down other offers because you said you would take her there may be the potential for a lawsuit if he cannot get the same amount of money in a subsequently selling (or is it reselling?) of her.
nvr2many and stevenson like this.
     
    06-25-2013, 03:30 AM
  #9
Foal
Alexis- I really appreciate that you have the same situation and you gave me some really good advice. I do think I would be happier with the gelding... I am just not a mare person, but the little mare stuck out to me. I haven't signed anything yet, so that isn't the problem.
I don't have a relationship with the woman I am purchasing the horse from other then the actual purchase of the horse herself, but that is no justification for saying "no" and then giving the cold shoulder treatment... I just feel like such a brat about the whole situation!
I have been looking for MONTHS for the right horse, then when I thought I found her and made an offer, I find one that has the potential to be better for me in more ways then one. Ugh! Lol
     
    06-25-2013, 03:33 AM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleerin5    
I want to ride enlgish**
I get that, and you may have been tire kicking?
But I do think it is rude to say yes you want x horse, then back out. Who knows if they need that horse gone for any reason, now it may be of the market to someone who WOULD buy it. It's rude, that's my opinion.
I'm not saying that's the horse for you, not at all, in fact I'd tend to say its a horse you shouldn't even have went to look at. Honestly. It's not what you want, why bother everyone involved?
Please don't take that as rude, it's just common curtesy.
Posted via Mobile Device
nvr2many likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two saddles, make an offer! prairiewindlady Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 02-17-2013 05:15 PM
Make offer on nice WB mare Cowgirlzluvaqhas Horses for Sale 0 03-12-2011 10:47 PM
make me an offer!!!!! Erin_And_Jasper Tack and Equipment Classifieds 24 12-09-2010 09:27 PM
Repost: Everything MUST go, make an offer. =] EventinginMI Tack and Equipment Classifieds 20 02-22-2010 06:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0