Selling... what to do? - The Horse Forum

 68Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,376
• Horses: 3
Selling... what to do?

Okay, so I put my gelding Wrangler up for sale about 2 weeks ago, about 10 mins after putting him up, I got my first reply, then second, and third...

So far I have gotten over 10 replies on him. One lady, who was the second one to reply to my ad, is REALLY interested in buying him. She says she wants him, and we have been talking, and she wants to come down and see him... and asked me to consider this a 'sale pending'....

So I edited my ads to *Sale Pending*. She, however, has not given me a date that she wants to come down, or anything, she said she will bring a horse trailer with her (she is 4.5 hours away) but still hasn't given me even a rough idea when she may be able to make it down here. She is a nice lady and I think Wrangler would be good for her... but now here is where I get stuck...

A couple days ago, another girl emailed me. She was younger, and rides english. She says she would like to come down ASAP to ride him and check him out, but I told her the sale was pending with another lady, and that I would get back to her if she did not buy...

This girl emailed me again today, and was wondering if the lady had bought my horse yet. This is how I could tell that she also REALLY wants him.

I emailed her back and said that, if by the weekend she does not show up, I will get back to her.

Now, what should I do? Should I message back the first lady and tell her I have someone else interested, that will get here sooner, and let the second girl come try him first, or should I wait until I hear back from the first lady, even if it takes her awhile?

I am not in a hurry to sell Wrangler. It takes however long it takes. I just want him to go to a good home, where he will enjoy what he does. This is also my first time selling a horse, so I am new to this. And to be honest, I do think, by talking to both of them, the first lady sounds like she would be best with him, compared to the other girl.

Please, any suggestions?
Breezy2011 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,260
• Horses: 3
Why would you put 'sale pending' when you have no cash deposit and no date set for the person to come and see him? Take that off his ad immediately. Until cash changes hands, the horse is still for sale.

E-mail the first woman and tell her you have someone else interested in the horse, and if it's a good fit you're going to sell him. Do it merely as a courtesy, since I'm thinking if she's serious (I don't) and not just wish buying (I do), this may get her off her butt and make a commitment.

Never, ever consider a horse sold until you have the money in your hand, and the horse is on the trailer going out the driveway.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #3 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,081
• Horses: 0
Personally If you liked the first lady then I would contact her and let her know that someone's interested and see where that goes. If she tells you that she's no longer interested then the other girl can come out or she can schedule a time. I think that's fair. Also if she's showing up with a trailer tell her that she needs to pay before he leaves the property, that way the sale is final.
Incitatus32 is offline  
post #4 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodinville, Washington
Posts: 1,203
• Horses: 0
I honestly wouldn't have held him for the first lady at all unless she had put a down payment on the horse already. There are a huge amount of flakey people who will say they really want a horse and they are "totally going to come down soon" who never will or who will try to talk you into a lower price than the horse is worth.

I would tell the second girl to come out this weekend to try the horse, then send the first lady a message telling her that you have someone else coming to try him out since you haven't received any money for him yet, so if she wants to come first she can, but that you will not hold the horse any longer without money down. Who knows, the lady could come down to try him and decide she doesn't actually want him after you've already told the other girl he's sold and she's moved on to something else.
TessaMay is offline  
post #5 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,231
• Horses: 7
This happens a lot and nice people get taken advantage of, I have had to get tough. I tell people the first one to show up with cash in hand and a trailer gets the horse. If they show up and it's a not a good match then I have first right of refusal to tell them no, but if it looks like a good match and they have cash in hand then on the trailer they go, or at that point they can make a deposit, sign a contract and then we have a pending sale.

If they have not made a deposit, signed a contract, and no effort to even come look at the horse you have no obligation to hold the horse. Pending is you have a deposit and contract. Good luck to you.
gssw5 is offline  
post #6 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,376
• Horses: 3
Thanks you guys, that makes sense, and I will let the girl come down. And I would not allow my horse to leave the property until I get the money for him, or a down payment and a signed contract. Although the first lady talked about signing a contract for him...

I think I will give it until tonight on waiting for the lady to get back to me, and if she doesn't, I will tell the other girl that she can come out.
Breezy2011 is offline  
post #7 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,165
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2011 View Post
And I would not allow my horse to leave the property until I get the money for him, or a down payment and a signed contract. Although the first lady talked about signing a contract for him...
I strongly suggest you do not let the horse leave your property until it is paid in full. Even with a contract, it's not easy to get $$ out of someone, and even suing them doesn't mean you'll ever see any coin.

Also, if someone wants to give you a deposit to hold the horse, make it non-refundable. That keeps the less than serious buyers away.

On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.
PaintHorseMares is offline  
post #8 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
You owe this first woman nothing. She has strung you along. I would email her and let her know that someone else is coming to look at the horse and you will sell it to them, since she has done nothing to get you $$, come see him etc.

I would guess that the first lady will further complicate things by saying she will send a deposit….yadayada. Tell her just what was said above. First one there with the $$ will take the horse. Period. Do not let her manipulate you any further.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #9 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,376
• Horses: 3
Okay, I will do that! You guys have been so helpful! But also, the second girl has already offered me less then what I am asking, although it is OBO, and I am fine with offers, but I was told to negotiate until we both agree on a price... should I negotiate with her over email? Or wait until she gets here.

In her first email she asked if I could reduce the price for her because she was only 14. I told her to make me an offer. She said she would give me 2500 for him. I am asking 3000 for him, so it is still a good offer, but my boss tells me, if I get an offer, always try and negotiate a little more, and not jump on it and say yes.
Breezy2011 is offline  
post #10 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
And only negotiate with an ADULT!. Certainly not a 14 yr old who wants more horse than they can afford.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering Selling My TB rlr21791 Horses for Sale 6 06-10-2013 04:25 PM
Selling my TB :( Snookeys Horse Talk 0 02-01-2011 10:54 PM
Selling!! SLS AU Tack 5 10-01-2010 06:51 AM
I'm selling him.. :( ilovemyPhillip General Off Topic Discussion 5 06-05-2010 03:34 PM
Anyone selling? TurnNBurn17 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 06-26-2008 04:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome