Selling... what to do? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Selling... what to do?

This is a discussion on Selling... what to do? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree68Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-21-2013, 06:19 PM
      #11
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Breezy2011    
    In her first email she asked if I could reduce the price for her because she was only 14. I told her to make me an offer. She said she would give me 2500 for him. I am asking 3000 for him, so it is still a good offer, but my boss tells me, if I get an offer, always try and negotiate a little more, and not jump on it and say yes.
    There is no right or wrong way. Considering she's 14 and hasn't seen or ridden the horse, I would expect that 2500 could be all she has and/or is her spending limit. Just food for thought.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
      #12
    Started
    Were I in the position I would tell any buyer that asks that it's first come first serve. I would not put sale pending on any ad unless there's a non-refundable deposit put on the horse. Let this lady know that you are allowing others to ride him, and that he will be listed as "for sale" until there is a deposit in your hand. Or, you can even go so far as to say cash in full. I'd likely accept a deposit though, since the buyer may want to ride one more time or have a vet check done on the horse.

    Odds are that there may be multiple people will come to try him, only to find that they don't click. Nothing that the horse or potential buyer did wrong- but horse buying is a process. I rode 5 horses before I ended up selecting mine. Because of this uncertainty, don't ever hold off on a serious buyer who is willing to come out tomorrow in favor of a wishy washy person that may come next week. Just because they wrote back first doesn't mean they can jerk you around.
         
        11-21-2013, 06:27 PM
      #13
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Breezy2011    
    Okay, I will do that! You guys have been so helpful! But also, the second girl has already offered me less then what I am asking, although it is OBO, and I am fine with offers, but I was told to negotiate until we both agree on a price... should I negotiate with her over email? Or wait until she gets here.

    In her first email she asked if I could reduce the price for her because she was only 14. I told her to make me an offer. She said she would give me 2500 for him. I am asking 3000 for him, so it is still a good offer, but my boss tells me, if I get an offer, always try and negotiate a little more, and not jump on it and say yes.
    Oh, I missed this. It sounds a little iffy to me. I would NOT reduce the price for a buyer just because she is younger. Where are the adults during this process? I understand kids taking charge of the process and think it's a good thing, but I'd be skeptical if this girl is on her own. I"m assuming that a good home is your priority, so take note when the girl comes to look- how did she get there, is a parent present, and (if she's paying for all the horses expenses) what if there's an emergency.
         
        11-22-2013, 02:32 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    Why would you put 'sale pending' when you have no cash deposit and no date set for the person to come and see him? Take that off his ad immediately. Until cash changes hands, the horse is still for sale.

    E-mail the first woman and tell her you have someone else interested in the horse, and if it's a good fit you're going to sell him. Do it merely as a courtesy, since I'm thinking if she's serious (I don't) and not just wish buying (I do), this may get her off her butt and make a commitment.

    Never, ever consider a horse sold until you have the money in your hand, and the horse is on the trailer going out the driveway.
    All this.
    I lost a few sales holding horses for people that flaked out and by the time I got back to them they had found another horse and I still had mine.
    I've had deposits sent and then absolutely nothing. It always makes me wonder when I see a "back on the market" so it's frustrating.
         
        11-22-2013, 02:34 PM
      #15
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Breezy2011    
    Okay, I will do that! You guys have been so helpful! But also, the second girl has already offered me less then what I am asking, although it is OBO, and I am fine with offers, but I was told to negotiate until we both agree on a price... should I negotiate with her over email? Or wait until she gets here.

    In her first email she asked if I could reduce the price for her because she was only 14. I told her to make me an offer. She said she would give me 2500 for him. I am asking 3000 for him, so it is still a good offer, but my boss tells me, if I get an offer, always try and negotiate a little more, and not jump on it and say yes.
    Keep in mind a minor cannot enter a legal contract. I would be selling the horse in her parents name. And I absolutely would not, EVER, let a horse leave without being paid for in full.
         
        11-22-2013, 02:37 PM
      #16
    Trained
    Yep, flakes everywhere, especially the ones that tell you that your horse will have a "forever home." pftt
    I bought my dog, "Rose" from a women who occasionally has a mixed breed litter and ALWAYS moves her puppies. She didn't have a hold on my dog, the last one left of the litter--6 years ago, now--but there was a woman who wanted the puppy, but had given this woman bad checks in the past. I called, drove 2 hours, brought CASH, and drove home my new puppy.
    Breezy2011 likes this.
         
        11-22-2013, 02:48 PM
      #17
    Foal
    I sold a gelding of mine a few years back to a girl who was 17 ( I did make her bring her parents with to be sure this wasnt just a dream of the girls and they were financially suited to make a horse purchase as it was their first time buying) they came and rode the horse about five times before we agreed on a price and a contract, they did put down a $500 non-deductable down payment, so I thought for sure it was a legit sale, he stayed at my barn for 2 months while they made $300 monthly payments to me and paid his board so by that time I felt comfortable with the family moving him to the barn of their choice which was an hour closer to them, we signed a contract which I had written up by my lawyer and I let them take the horse as they did already pay me$1,100 well the next month rolled around as they were to pay me the remaining 900.00 ( terms of the contract) and I never heard from them again, they changed their phone numbers, moved the horse to another barn and never replied to my emails or letters sent to the given address I had. After a couple of months trying to find these people I got my lawyer involved to find them and do what was necessary to take action in getting my money or my horse back since those were the terms of the "lease to own" contract we had made. Long story short I ended up having to go to the extent of hiring a private investigator to find the family and turns out they had a different last name then they told me! So besides the private investigator I had to pay my lawyer $2300 total to take these people to court and court fees plus my time and energy with
    11 horses
    And 3 kids a simple sale of a horse I rather would have kept then sell to begin with turned into a very long and stressful event in my life I will never do again. I will never sell a horse without all cash in hand, as I feel maybe I should have done more before letting them take the horse I did take many precautions and it still turned out bad, after 19 months of forking out more then what I made on the horse just to get my money back ( it was more so that I was determined to not let these evil people get away with what was not theirs and I already lowered the price of sale to begin with) the courts did find them guilty and they were ordered to pay the remaining amount on the horse and I also sued for the cost of my lawyer and investigator and although theyre court ordered to pay I still havent seen a dime from them.. Basically I got screwed over trying to be a nice understanding horse owner I woulsnt wish that on anyone!
    I wish you lots of luck in the sale of your horse and hope its a much better experience then mine.:)



    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-22-2013, 02:50 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Thanks guys. I will not let Wrangler leave unless he is paid for in full. I emailed the girl back and she wants to come down on Monday with her dad. So she will not be alone. I will discuss a price with her and her father, not just her. They are coming from 2 hours away, so I assume they will bring a trailer.

    I also emailed back the first lady, and told her there was someone else interested, and that it was whoever comes down first. I took the 'sale pending' down and I also got another reply, but from a person who I don't think is seriously interested in buying him.

    A good home is a must, and I will refuse a sale if I don't think he will be going to a good home.
    Corporal likes this.
         
        11-22-2013, 03:15 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Hopefully it all works out for you! :)
    Breezy2011 likes this.
         
        11-22-2013, 03:17 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    Keep in mind a minor cannot enter a legal contract. I would be selling the horse in her parents name. And I absolutely would not, EVER, let a horse leave without being paid for in full.
    I am 16, and when I bought him, I was 15, and he was bought in my name, and his papers are in my name. I didn't even bring a parent with me, my boss drove me there with her horse trailer. I will be sure to talk to her parents, but I will allow her to sign the horse in her name.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Considering Selling My TB rlr21791 Horses for Sale 6 06-10-2013 04:25 PM
    Selling my TB :( Snookeys Horse Talk 0 02-01-2011 10:54 PM
    Selling!! SLS AU Tack 5 10-01-2010 06:51 AM
    I'm selling him.. :( ilovemyPhillip General Off Topic Discussion 5 06-05-2010 03:34 PM
    Anyone selling? TurnNBurn17 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 06-26-2008 04:30 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0