Yesterday, she called me and said she was moving - right then. She'd had an altercation with her dad (who also lived there and the property was actually his) and we needed to find a new place for Blaze and Chili.
I was stunned and being new(er) to town, relied heavily on her to find such a place but I made a buttload of phone calls. When I hadn't heard from her (she was calling some friends), I decided to go knocking on doors of folks with pastures and horses in 'em. Yup, sounds crazy! But, we live in a tiny town and I was willing to do just about anything to keep my horse!
I even put an ad on Craigslist looking for free board or something we could work off such as mucking stalls/helping care for their horses. I received countless phone calls from my ad from good hearted people. And each and every person I called from leads from friends in town, all called me back or offered a new name to call. I love this town!
In the end, someone I actually knew said we could keep them at her place - a large, working cattle farm. She shows her horses in cutting and uses them to work the cows. We'd "interviewed" her before moving here to babysit our daughter and had kept in touch. I don't know why I didn't think to call her originally when I was hoping for a place to board. Anyway. She recently lost her husband to a tragic farm accident and could use some help in the barn - keeping things clean and said if we could just help - not do it all, but when we had time - and paid our own feed/hay, we could have 2 pastures of our own plus a stall each and a stall for our square bale hay.
So, even though it's been quite a stressful two days, I think it might actually work out for the best. The barn and facility is a MUCH better place and between both women's knowledge, I should be in good shape... even if I don't agree with all the practices of each, I'm sure to learn a lot.
I brought my camera but forgot to take photos - I'll take new ones tomorrow and post some in the pic gallery. It might be late! There is a chance I'll have surgery on my foot tomorrow. Not sure how strong of a chance but they told me not to eat after midnight just in case.