Should this happen? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 77Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: emmett idaho
Posts: 44
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGrrl View Post
She bit you (yes, she did bite you. Nip, nibble, whatever you want to call it, it's a bite) because she's disrespectful.

Can you work with a trainer and get some horsemanship and horse keeping lessons? I think it would be very beneficial for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
well yes thats what i want to do but im just not gonna worry about it i wasnt raised a horse person i just love horses, so its no use for me to get one thanks
hybridmustang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On the golden coast of Michigan
Posts: 918
• Horses: 3
For what your looking for price wise, I'm sure there are better fish out in the sea. Best to skip this one by.

Horses don't bite because they're hungry, when they bite its usually to get you back away from them (disrespect) and out of it's space. She sounds like she has a lot of problems, I'm not sure if you heard of the expression green + green= black and blue.

Best thing to do is take more lessons with a trainer and when your more experienced, you could go look for another horse with that trainer. Being new to horses, and looking one to buy for yourself without a trainer, can be disastrous if your not looking out for any red flags. A trainer has experience with people like that and chances are a trainer will tell you to walk away from this offer.

Good luck finding a horse.

Also, don't let the 'oh she's a mare' thing make you treat her differently. It doesn't matter whether or not she's a mare, she has to have respect from you. Period. Whether or not the horse is a gelding, stallion, or mare. If you treat them in a special way chances are, you're not going to get the results you want.

For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
TheAQHAGirl is offline  
post #13 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,303
• Horses: 4
hybridmustang I know you don't like hearing the answer you are being given, but they are all the honest and CORRECT answer for your case. It is obvious you really want to get this mare and will probably get it despite the posts telling you not to. I truly hope you don't end up too badly hurt by this horse before coming to realization that these folks were right and only looking out for your best interest.
smrobs, AlexS, jillybean19 and 3 others like this.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #14 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,320
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridmustang View Post
well yes thats what i want to do but im just not gonna worry about it i wasnt raised a horse person i just love horses, so its no use for me to get one thanks
So let me get this straight.... You're planning on getting a horse and don't have the knowledge nor expertise to own one, but since you weren't raised a horse person and just love horses it's no use to get a trainer to teach you?
smrobs, DimSum, GamingGrrl and 2 others like this.
jillybean19 is offline  
post #15 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,303
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean19 View Post
So let me get this straight.... You're planning on getting a horse and don't have the knowledge nor expertise to own one, but since you weren't raised a horse person and just love horses it's no use to get a trainer to teach you?
I took the part about not getting one as sarcasm towards getting a horse..I could be wrong.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #16 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,320
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
I took the part about not getting one as sarcasm towards getting a horse..I could be wrong.
That's why I was trying to clarify lol. Either way, this combination spells trouble...
jillybean19 is offline  
post #17 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,203
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagebelle View Post
I would walk away. I don't think price is really the real issue here. I know that it's hard seeing a horse in a crappy place, and we all want to "save" them, but not having a lot of experience, and getting a young really green horse is a really bad idea. You say she bit you because she's hungry, well I doubt that's the case. I'm sure she may be hungry and not getting fed enough, but a horse won't bite you for that. They'll bite if you have treats and they haven't learned respect and personal space, or if they are upset, don't like something you did. Only once may be a fluke, or it may be that there are even more issues that will come out after you get her. There are also no guarantees that you'd be able to find her a new home if she did prove to be too much. You never want to get a horse to "learn" with that's green. If you are new to horses, you want to get a nice calm horse that you can learn with, but that you aren't also trying to train while learning about horses and riding yourself.
Amen to that post.
my2geldings is offline  
post #18 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,182
• Horses: 1
Completely agreeing with everyone here. I am going to add a couple things though.

Back to the OP, do you have the funds to pay for an emergency vet bill if a problem arises? Although you say you have "proper fences not barbed wire", the vast majority of horses are accident-prone and you will more than likely have to call the vet on more than one occasion. As an example, my family spent a few thousand on vet bills just this past November and my horse still did not make it through the night. But did we do the best we could for her at the time? Yes, and that's a responsibility you take on as a horse owner. You also have to take into consideration the vaccines, annual checks, and farrier bills... not to mention the cost of hay. Horse ownership is a huge commitment, both financially and time-wise, particularly if you're keeping them at home.

If you "just love horses", I would strongly suggest taking some lessons, then leasing, and then, if you still love horses and are able to safely and responsibly own a horse... then go for it.

Forever loved, never forgotten; my beautiful Indie. <3 Hoofprints on my heart.
Jore is offline  
post #19 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,321
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridmustang View Post
O.o okay... im only a newb at buying a horse i've had some riding lessons and the only reason i say she bit me because she was hungry is because she kept wanting to eat and she was in the middle of eating hay when we took her out of her pen O.o. She didnt bite me like she left a mark it was like a nip or something it wasnt hard but it wasnt soft either
There is no such thing as an okay bite and a not okay bite. All bites are bad. It doesn't matter what you think the reason is for her biting. She bites, it's bad. Biting in situations like that is never okay.
Posted via Mobile Device
DancingArabian is offline  
post #20 of 53 Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
OP, when you are ready to ask about another possible horse, please remember that periods and capitals are your friend.

In the meantime, keep taking lessons and being around horses as much as you can. It's fun and educational! Hopefully you'll be ready when the right horse comes your way.
NorthernMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It can happen to anyone .. Equilove Horse Talk 3 10-11-2011 10:27 PM
It might really happen!!!:D wannahorse22 Horse Talk 33 08-12-2010 04:08 PM
Anyone else ever have this happen....? Jacksmama Horse Talk 36 06-30-2010 04:39 PM
Anyone else had this happen? horseanimal11 Horse Riding 12 06-02-2010 04:25 AM
What more could happen?! whitetrashwarmblood Horse Talk 3 05-31-2010 02:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome