Should I sell or keep?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Should I sell or keep?

This is a discussion on Should I sell or keep? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-01-2009, 09:54 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Should I sell or keep?

    So I have this three year old unbroken filly, I got her in September/October 2008. When I bought her my plan was to go to ANU (my local uni) this year to study. Although, this year, out of the blue, they raised their UAI to 80, up from 75, and my UAI of 75.45 won't cut it.

    My second choice of uni is University of Tasmania, some people may have read about this on one of my other threads. Over the past couple of weeks Tasmania has gotten more possible and appealing. My mother is moving overseas etc, so I have less to keep me in this town. Originally I was going to take my horse with me and keep her in Tas, but the more I think about it the worse an idea it seems.

    So I have come to pretty much thinking should I try and sell her or take her with me. I like her a lot, she is a sweet horse, but she needs heaps of training and I don't know how much time I will have to break a horse in during my first semester in a new uni and city. Then there is the transport. Its going to cost me a $1000, which is what I paid for her, and I have the cash, so its not just that which is making me think. Its about a 1400km trip. They would pick her up near here, drive her to Melbourne, rest a day. Load her up, drive onto the ship for a 500km, eleven hour, boat ride, to Tasmania. She would rest a day in Launceston and then be delivered to Hobart.

    She would be so scared. She's had bad experiences floating, we have to sedate her and spend a couple of hours getting her on the float when I moved her. Its something that I need to work on, but I just haven't had the time and didn't think I was leaving. She afraid of new people, of men, and this whole experience might just terrify her. Its a really long trip over nasty waters.

    There is a woman where I keep her who has expressed an interest to buy her. She's really nice and I was thinking I could talk to her and she might want her. That way I would know who she is going to and she could stay at her home.

    With the money from her, and the left over money from a car accident, I would have 2000 - 2500 for a new horse in Tas, and that way I could afford maybe a broken four or five year old which I can work with while studying.

    I like her a lot though, and I don't want to abandon her, but university is my future, I don't want to have to go somewhere where I cannot do the courses that I plan to major in and grow my career out of. That's all that is here for me.

    I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I haven't even got into Tas yet, uni starts in 15 days, i'll hear from Tas this or next Friday and if I get an offer i'll have to go nearly immediately. I'm confident i'll get in even though my application is late, their UAI equivalent is like 65 and they still have spaces.

    What do people think I should do?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-01-2009, 11:53 AM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Andi, I think you have already made your decission without maybe realizing it. I believe you're correct in knowing that this trip may have a very traumatic effect on this filly. Time wise, your priority will be school and this filly will need more time and attention than you will be able to give her.

    I commend you for thinking what is best for this filly first and trying to find a good home for her

    Best of Luck to you.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Knabstrupper's how do you think they would sell out here? charroit Horse Breeds 9 12-23-2008 06:18 PM
    Sell or put down or what??? SpearJ Horse Talk 11 07-26-2008 01:33 PM
    How to Better Sell this Mare whataryder Horses for Sale 7 01-17-2008 09:43 AM
    to sell or to lease giget Horses for Sale 5 09-22-2007 12:19 AM
    I need help on how much to sell my horse for kit- kat Horse Talk 10 03-26-2007 11:55 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0