Should I sell my mare?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Should I sell my mare?

This is a discussion on Should I sell my mare? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-30-2010, 12:02 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Should I sell my mare?

    When Ellie was 3 months old my mum adopted her from an PMU adoption program. She is now 8 years old and still technically my mums but I am the only one who rides her (my mum has her riding horse as well). She is a 15.2hh Canadian mare so she is quite stocky. She used to only be ridden on trails western. When I "took her over" I started her on English. Over the past year I have had lessons with her but she has never been professionally trained. We have jumped around 2 feet nicely but mind you, she is not an athletic breed. Also I might mention, she can be very pushy on the ground and has bitten be numerous times. As much as I love her and want to improve with her, it is getting harder to want to go out and ride her. I am in grade nine, so in four years I want to go to Olds collage and take equine science. I would be bringing a horse to board and ride there. Should I sell my mare and invest in a more athletic and maybe more experienced horse now? Or should I stick with my mare and wait? Money isn't easy but I am more than willing to work hard for it. I would be really happy to hear from you!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg PA090075.jpg (98.8 KB, 94 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Well since she is your mums horse you would probably have to talk it over with her.
         
        12-30-2010, 12:10 AM
      #3
    Foal
    I know she is my mums but she is fine with selling her also.
         
        12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Oh then I think selling might be a good idea if you don't think your mare could reach the levels you want to go.
         
        12-30-2010, 12:45 AM
      #5
    Super Moderator
    Judging by the tone of your post, you yourself feel more inclined to sell her. Now shame in that. I can totally see the logic in it and if I must say yes, sell or no, keep . . I say sell.
         
        12-30-2010, 01:10 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    It is 100% a decision that has to be made by you and your mother. That said, it sounds like you have done as much with this mare as you wish to, and that you desire to move on to a horse more suitable for you and your aspirations. Go for it, if you are sure it is what you want!
         
        12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
      #7
    Green Broke
    I would like to see you learn more and get the mare better trained. Sounds like you could learn together at school if not before. She's a nice looking mare and the issues you have described are training issues that could easily be over come and you should learn how to do if you want a career in the equine field.
    The next horse may come with issues also or develope them.
         
        12-30-2010, 06:10 PM
      #8
    Showing
    Its a hard decision to make. I guess you could go either way. I would be more incline to take a younger horse to Olds College, but that's something you guys have to discuss together.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What is the best website to sell a halter bred mare? dmc62901 Horse Breeds 11 03-13-2013 12:51 PM
    I have decided to sell my mare...what is she worth? Semperfiwife Horse Riding Critique 53 01-07-2010 05:58 PM
    Appendix AQHA Mare - Need to sell Fast MistyAcres Horses for Sale 4 05-15-2008 08:17 PM
    AQHA Mare - Need to sell fast MistyAcres Horses for Sale 0 05-13-2008 02:13 PM
    How to Better Sell this Mare whataryder Horses for Sale 7 01-17-2008 09:43 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0