Since when did people stop liking to work? - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tampa Bay area, FL
Posts: 1,901
• Horses: 1
Since when did people stop liking to work?

For me personally, I like a horse who has a mind of its own. If its been beaten down, broken in and worn to the point where it just has no more personality, I don't want it. I like my horses to have a little bit of life in them. I like my horses to have an opinion. That does not mean I like horses who are hard to handle....that just means I like to have my horse be a product of the amount of time I put into him. If my horse thinks something isn't smart, I want him to tell me about it, but then I want him to do what I ask. When did having a horse as a partner become so undesirable?

This is sort of a rant over something I read here on the forum today--no disrespect to the person who wrote it at all, but why in the heck would you want a horse who just comes to you and doesn't care if you run him off a cliff? Yes, my gelding can be a handful at times, and I like him that way. I would rather have him test me than accept any idiot who thinks they know how to ride. When he challenges my authority, it means he's got some brain left in him. When he accepts that I'm still the leader, that means he's using it. I like leaders. Followers to me, seem dangerous. Am I alone in this thought process? Or do all people really want anymore is an overgrown puppy dog?
justsambam08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
my mare can be very strong minded, and stubborn...haha so am i, some people think thats a bad match, but when we train its mroe like having a conversation then telling her what to do, if i tell her what to do she gets frusterated and mad.
i like them to have some mind in them. i think they are very fun to handle, and matched with the right person they could go to the top! if other people ride rena they usually say: shes stubborn!,shes grumpy and mean! nad just stuff like that, but when i ride her we will have our little arguements, but we 'understand' eachother. im liek you, i like thinkking horses.

but i guess for other jobs having a horse that doesnt think might be alot better for that job. i guess you jsut never know

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SouthEastern PA
Posts: 1,740
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Am I alone in this thought process? Or do all people really want anymore is an overgrown puppy dog?
I posted a thread on here not to long ago about working with my weanling (ground work). A few people said just let him grow up, and leave him alone. That would work, if I wanted to wake up one day to find a have a 1000lb overgrown baby. No thanks. Ive had enough bruised toes in my life thus far lol. I am lazy with things I dont feel I need to do. Like my room, its always a mess, and my laundry gets down when I run out of dress pants for work. But my horses, I would never put that off. (I think they have cleaner "rooms" then I do.)
sillybunny11486 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 627
• Horses: 0
I personally like a little bit of fire under the hood. ;) Lilly certainly has that...lol. Took her out for her first trailride today at the new place, she was very bright and alert...and she has an opinion alright! She doesn't fight you or is hard to handle, but she ain't deadpan and totally dissinterested in her surroundings either. It was an interesting and altogther lovely ride. I think that little spark of hers will help us out a lot when we begin going on longer and longer rides to build up for endurance.
Cheshire is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 698
• Horses: 1
I agree. I like my horse that challenges me occasionally. If not then it gets boring to me. A 'perfect' horse just doesn't sound like much fun.

Help me horse forum! You're my only hope!
Sophie19 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,207
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsambam08 View Post
... but why in the heck would you want a horse who just comes to you and doesn't care if you run him off a cliff? ...
I agree completely and this topic seems to often spark heated debates about trust that make me chuckle to myself. When one of our mares wants to take a moment and think about stepping somewhere...or even refuses, I will get off and have a closer look. I ride off the trail a lot, and they have saved me from running into old, rusty, half down barbed wire fences hidden in the leaves and brush more than once.
I call them smart horses.

On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.
PaintHorseMares is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,207
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsambam08 View Post
For me personally, I like a horse who has a mind of its own. If its been beaten down, broken in and worn to the point where it just has no more personality, I don't want it. I like my horses to have a little bit of life in them. I like my horses to have an opinion. That does not mean I like horses who are hard to handle....that just means I like to have my horse be a product of the amount of time I put into him. If my horse thinks something isn't smart, I want him to tell me about it, but then I want him to do what I ask. When did having a horse as a partner become so undesirable?

This is sort of a rant over something I read here on the forum today--no disrespect to the person who wrote it at all, but why in the heck would you want a horse who just comes to you and doesn't care if you run him off a cliff? Yes, my gelding can be a handful at times, and I like him that way. I would rather have him test me than accept any idiot who thinks they know how to ride. When he challenges my authority, it means he's got some brain left in him. When he accepts that I'm still the leader, that means he's using it. I like leaders. Followers to me, seem dangerous. Am I alone in this thought process? Or do all people really want anymore is an overgrown puppy dog?
It's a very good opinion and I view this the same way as you; but having said that, not all riders have the confidence or experience you have.

I will take me as an example. I have had some pretty severe injuries caused by horses and rider mistake. Tho as posted above, I will always want a horse who is trained but as a bit of personality, if I were to come accross a horse who is very quiet and a happy go getter to the point where I have nothing to worry about, would be a great opportunity as well.

There are some beginner riders out there, or even seasoned riders that simply enjoy the company of their horse. They enjoy being able to tack up their mount and go enjoy a nice ride out on the trails knowing they won't have to worry about spooking or bolting. Not every rider is experienced enough to ride a horse with more of a personality or temper.

It's rider preference. Nothing wrong with going either way.
my2geldings is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 434
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings View Post
There are some beginner riders out there, or even seasoned riders that simply enjoy the company of their horse. They enjoy being able to tack up their mount and go enjoy a nice ride out on the trails knowing they won't have to worry about spooking or bolting. Not every rider is experienced enough to ride a horse with more of a personality or temper.

It's rider preference. Nothing wrong with going either way.
Yes, for example: for my first horse I'm mostly looking for a been there done that animal. It will be the first horse my children ride and I want to fine one calm and reliable, so their first experiences are happy, not scary. I want them to build confidence, and fall in love with riding like I did as a kid.

If I was looking for a horse only for myself, I'd probably look for one younger and more interesting to ride .
AlmostThere is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,915
• Horses: 6
I know what you mean. I never have understood why people want their horses to be, basically, stupid. I love when they have spark and personality. it's the reason I'm in this horse world, and work so hard to be there. I like to work with them. if I want something that will do whatever I say and require no thought or effort, I'll just stick to driving cars. I have horses because I like horses! I feel like these people just like the thought of having horses or something, but don't really truly like them.
rocky pony is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,076
• Horses: 1
What's wrong with wanting a laid back, non complicated horse? And how does that transfer to no personality?

Ben is laid back and fairly uncomplicated. But he is just as difficult as a horse with "spark". A laid back horse just has different challenges, such as getting the horse in front of your leg, motivated, and uphill. And he certainly has personality, he's a big goof ball!
1dog3cats17rodents is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rescue people // transport people?? Johnswife Other Pets 4 12-31-2008 10:09 AM
Making the right choice? School work/Work? Help! SonnyWimps General Off Topic Discussion 20 11-05-2008 12:21 PM
Getting a little kick happy for my liking KiwiRyder Horse Training 3 08-15-2008 12:19 PM
Parelli people, or people interested in it..... Spirithorse Horse Training 6 01-08-2008 09:23 PM
haflinger to trainer ground work or saddle work????? carriegeorge100 Horse Training 3 05-10-2007 02:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome