And so it begins in MO - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

And so it begins in MO

This is a discussion on And so it begins in MO within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
      #21
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by savvylover112    
    Okay so you just went onto youtube and got some of the worst footage you could to say all horse slaughter is inhumane make it illegal.
    Just the most recent. Can you show videos that disprove the arguement?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
      #22
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    What I do find amusing in a sad sort of way, is that California is one of the states that has banned it for human consumption, and yet the restaurant that got raided recently for selling illegal whale and horse meat was in California!
    ROFL. Too too funny. I really don't see why people post videos from other countries on here for anti horse slaughter in the US. Its videos like the above that show how much we need them IN the US. At least here we can regulate what is going on. We can't do s**t in Canada or Mexico.
         
        04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
      #23
    Showing
    Ktibb and Vicky, you need to realize that this is not an anti-slaughter friendly BB.

    Many of our members raise and sell livestock for a living, and so aren't sitting in some suburban McMansion with too much time on their hands and no way to use it except on internet outrage and on-line petitions.

    Many people on horse BBs are being swayed to the 'equine slaughter is necessary' side of the equation. I frequent at least 3 other horsey BBs, and the majority of posters think reopening the plants in the U.S. Is the way to go.

    I'd rather have a say in where and how the U.S. Horses are being slaughtered, instead of the way it is right now, where our hands are tied.
         
        04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ktibb    
    Just the most recent. Can you show videos that disprove the arguement?
    You are about as inhumane as the people that abuse their horses. By getting the plants closed the horses have to endure the long rides and a horrible ending like in that video. In the videos you posted they did it wrong. But, what in the world can we do? Obviously nothing. That plant is not in the US.
    This video was posted by an anti but I think it shows a well run plant and how it should be done.

    LOL SR you always make my day!!
         
        04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
      #25
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01    
    ROFL. Too too funny. I really don't see why people post videos from other countries on here for anti horse slaughter in the US. Its videos like the above that show how much we need them IN the US. At least here we can regulate what is going on. We can't do s**t in Canada or Mexico.


    It was to demonstrate that the current methods are not humane. Nothing was said about governing non US plants. Obviously that isn't an option.


    You say we need them IN the US, but what I want to know is why do we NEED them at all? If people would step up and actually take some responsibility slaughter wouldn't be needed period. If someone here in the US wants to eat horse meat, I have no problem with them raising their own horse(s), hiring a qualified source to humanely kill and butcher the meat (or do it themselves if they know where to place the bullet) and eat to their hearts content. How many jobs will a couple of slaughter houses really create? Enough to fix the economy? I doubt it.

    Would you send your horse(s) to slaughter, and what is the reasoning behind your decision?

    As for the decision to sell horse meat made by a California restaurant, I wouldn't say it's funny. I woud say that it was piss poor business sense... ok, maybe a little funny.
         
        04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
      #26
    Showing
    Seriously Ktibb, do you think any of us don't want people to be responsible for their animals?

    Of course we do, but that's about as likely as pedophilia, child abuse, spousal abuse, theft, murder, and rape stopping because the people who do them suddenly get an attack of conscience and realize those things are -gasp!- wrong.

    You can't make people be responsible, nor can you shame them into being law abiding, productive citizens.

    What about the people who are good, kind, caring individuals, but fate has dealt them a cruel blow and they lose their jobs and homes? Should they be punished because they can no longer afford the luxury of owning horses? And horses are luxuries, make no mistake.

    The rescues can't take 'em, the vets won't euth 'em, and yet somehow the owner's not supposed to to sell 'em at auction to a KB because you think it's wrong?

    Euthing and burying a horse where I live costs close to $400.00, and that's cheap. Tell me, is someone required to not feed their children in order to 'be responsible' for an animal they can no longer afford?

    Nowhere has any of us said you must send your own horses to slaughter. That's a tired old argument, and specious to boot.

    What I do with my own animals legally is none of your business. What you do with your own animals legally is none of mine. That unfortunately, is something that the hardcore antis don't seem to understand. Their reasoning is what they do with their animals is the only right way, and you WILL do the same with yours because THEY SAY SO!

    Be very careful what you think you should be able to dictate to your neighbors. It's a slippery slope, and the next set of rights being violated may be your own.
         
        04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
      #27
    Weanling
    I'm not completly opposed to slaughter. I am opposed to the way it is currnetly conducted and the fact that there is such an easy out for breeders overproducing and throwing away stock, I think that is one of largest roots of the problem. Of course Ms Good Kind Caring Suzy who truly fell upon hard times should not be punished- unless she lets her horses starve to death in her back yard- a bullet would be a much better end than slowly starving. I've never heard of a vet refusing to euth tho, it may have happened, but not that I've ever heard.

    I agree that horses are a luxury item and yes vet assisted euthanasia can be costly, but again I'm going to play the responsibility card here and say that should've been taken into account when the animal was aquired. Is is asking too much for people to have a little forethought?

    As for the rape, molestation compairison, of course it isn't going to go away compleatly, but it can be drastically reduced of governed better.

    I'm not saying I'm 100% right here or you are 100% wrong. But the current state isn't good enough, I think that we can at least agree on that. No need to go off the deep end talking about starving children to pay for animal feed.
         
        04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
      #28
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ktibb    
    Would you send your horse(s) to slaughter, and what is the reasoning behind your decision?
    There has to be a slaughter plant for Every livestock animal. That includes horses. Just because you do not eat horses doesnt mean someone else does. If you look at the thread on horses for human consumption you will see I am hosting a BBQ with a special main course.

    No, I will not eat my horse nor will I send them to slaughter. They all have uses. If they don't I send them slaughter bound. Two we have sent and I feel no remorse. Either would have easily killed someone.
    Have I taken a horse with potential out of the kill pen? Yes. Have you?

    So, reasoning behind my decision.
    1. Horses are livestock
    2. I will not waste 5-600lbs dw of meat.
    3. Its an owners right to choose
    4. You have to get rid of your culls
         
        04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
      #29
    Showing
    I'm not going off the deep end, I merely asked a question. It really does come down to people either feeding their children or their animals in some cases. Sad, but true.

    There absolutely is room for improvement concerning the slaughter methods for horses. I've never said otherwise. The plants should be designed for whichever species is being rendered. I feel the same way for all animals processed for meat. We have much room for improvement in the way we kill all of them, not just horses.

    However, until we have the plants reopened in our own country, we have no ability to make the necessary changes to the way equines are being slaughtered now.

    I've yet to meet someone who has no problem with slaughter who is cruel, neglectful, and inhumane to the animals in their care.

    We all love our animals, but the major difference I see between those not opposed and the antis, is that the antis want everyone to think as they do. Those not opposed realize that just because someone has a different mindset, doesn't make them wrong.

    I understand your opinion and respect it, but I can't agree with it. I'm not going to call you names or question your love for, ability to, or desire to properly care for your animals, although those are all tactics that hardcore antis use against people who don't believe in their particular doctrine.

    Respect is a two-way street. If you show me respect, I'll return it. We don't always have to agree on everything to get along.
         
        04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
      #30
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01    
    There has to be a slaughter plant for Every livestock animal. That includes horses. Just because you do not eat horses doesnt mean someone else does. If you look at the thread on horses for human consumption you will see I am hosting a BBQ with a special main course.

    No, I will not eat my horse nor will I send them to slaughter. They all have uses. If they don't I send them slaughter bound. Two we have sent and I feel no remorse. Either would have easily killed someone.
    Have I taken a horse with potential out of the kill pen? Yes. Have you?

    So, reasoning behind my decision.
    1. Horses are livestock
    2. I will not waste 5-600lbs dw of meat.
    3. Its an owners right to choose
    4. You have to get rid of your culls
    I have no problem with euthing dangerous horses.
    I have no problem with people eating horses, but I am concerned with people eating tainted horsemeat. If a horse is fed bute the meat is contaminated- there is no detox time.
    My current mare was bound for slaughter, tho I didn't take her out personally
    What about when your currnet horses are of no further use to you? Do you plan on sending them to slaughter? You don't think they earned a respectable death? I'm not suggesting you send them off to some fancy retirement stable, but surley death at your hands on your ranch would be better than a trip through the auction house, ride in a crammed double decker and processed through a forgine slaughter house wouldn't it?
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    And the hunt begins again HooverH Horse Tack and Equipment 0 03-30-2010 12:40 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0