So excited! I 'got a horse' - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

So excited! I 'got a horse'

This is a discussion on So excited! I 'got a horse' within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree10Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-23-2013, 12:38 AM
      #21
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roanypony    
    Gotcha...then good for you :) If ample amounts of horse feed isn't an option you may consider giving day old bread a shot. I've heard so many people talk about how well that works at helping a horse boost their weight. Commercial feed can really hit the horse chow budget hard...I've got one on Empower Boost right now to help him gain--he's my only difficult keeper.
    I may get yelled at for this but

    1. Too much grain is not good for a horse's stomach. More hay is probably a safer and more affective option (I have a hard keeper myself)

    2. Why would you recommend something you haven't tried yourself? I personally have never heard of feeding...day old bread.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
      #22
    Foal
    1. Too much of a good thing..whatever that thing may be usually turns out to be a bad thing. Thus, it's important to use common sense, good judgement, and, if you have it, previous experience when making decisions. And considering you do not know my 3 year old personally it's not your place to say what his best interests are :)

    2. Day old bread-something I heard, something that each responsible horse owner, if considering, should talk to their veterinarian about or do their own research on. :) I though it was quite an interesting bit of ifnormation when I first heard of it.
         
        05-23-2013, 04:49 PM
      #23
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roanypony    
    1. Too much of a good thing..whatever that thing may be usually turns out to be a bad thing. Thus, it's important to use common sense, good judgement, and, if you have it, previous experience when making decisions. And considering you do not know my 3 year old personally it's not your place to say what his best interests are :)
    When did I ever say anything about your horse? I couldn't care less about your horse as I did not even know that it existed. I just said my horse is a hard keeper because that's fact.

    I was speaking generally to the OP about the hay.
    nvr2many likes this.
         
        05-23-2013, 04:53 PM
      #24
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    When did I ever say anything about your horse? I couldn't care less about your horse as I did not even know that it existed. I just said my horse is a hard keeper because that's fact.

    I was speaking generally to the OP about the hay.
    awww, you know you don't mean that. You care about their horse because you care about all horses. You love horses in general, remember?
    nvr2many likes this.
         
        05-23-2013, 05:10 PM
      #25
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roadyy    
    awww, you know you don't mean that. You care about their horse because you care about all horses. You love horses in general, remember?
    Well now I know they have a horse...somewhere out there. SO of course I care now . But it's not relevant to the topic for me to critique what they decide to feed their horse as this thread is about a completely different horse.

    My horse is a hard keeper so I know what it is like to struggle to keep weight on him. I also, from research and a course in nutrition that I took, know that it is safer to increase the hay first than it is to increase the grain since hay 'buffers' the lining of the stomach and that too much grain may cause ulcers (and other issues)

    I was just offering my experience and knowledge to the OP. I don't know it all, but I do know that much.
    nvr2many and Roadyy like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Excited, difficult horse? DoubleS Horse Training 5 09-28-2012 12:32 AM
    New horse just got home. So excited! NicoleS11 Horse Pictures 10 05-04-2012 10:12 AM
    Excited! Beyond excited - or bexcited lol JumpingTheMoon Horse Breeding 4 12-10-2009 06:06 PM
    So excited, my first horse! tealamutt Horse Riding 5 08-29-2009 10:11 AM
    Horse gets excited. White Foot Horse Training 16 06-24-2009 09:36 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0