I'm sorry if this was posted in the wrong category, mods can move it if they want.
We are looking to buy a treeless saddle for my sister's 15hh gelding Syd, and I have some questions. First of all, though, I'll give you some info on the horse and why we are wanting a different saddle for him.
Syd is 16 years old and has very wonky legs (see my earlier thread in Horse Talk, "could a very over at the knee, 16 year old gelding manage a one-day trek?" for photos and more info.) His saddle is just too hard, heavy and very uncomfortable to ride in (even though it fits). A treeless saddle would help Syd and my sister, because it's lightweight and comfy. Syd is a much better ride without that saddle, he is a dream to ride with a bareback pad.
Anyway, here are the questions:
1. I've heard that there are special requirements for saddle pads when using treeless saddles. Is this true?
2. If it is true, what kind of saddle pad would be suitable. Syd's pad is just a simple one, medium thick, no pockets, not too thin, though.
3. Do you have to fit it just like a regular saddle? Someone told me that you don't need to fit treeless saddles because it's just the tree that needs to be fitted anyway...but I'm not too sure about that...
4. Have you ever used one or know someone who uses one? If you do, we're the experiences with it good or bad?
5. Do you think an 18 inch treeless saddle could fit a 15hh horse, or is it just the seat size and doesn't matter that much except for the rider?
Sorry if these are a bit stupid, but I'd really like to know.
Thanks in advance! :)