Taken for a ride
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Taken for a ride

This is a discussion on Taken for a ride within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree18Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Taken for a ride

    Hi all, I have a gypsey cob that I got a week ago, I had no intention of getting another horse but was told 'they were in NO rush for the money' so got him last friday, I told them about my bad accident and needed to make sure he was right for me, needles to say, yes he is and I have fallen in love with him, I trust him and he trust me, the problam is now that they are being really nasty and wanting paying for him, (i had only had him 3 days when they have started with the phone calls) I don't want to send him back,,but imdont no what to do as I don't have the money yet,,also I wouldent of paid the amount they are wanting for him, but because they 'wasent deprate for the money' I took him,, has any body got any advise,, ( I have managed to pay 200 to them so far).
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-12-2013, 04:04 PM
      #2
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandy1    
    Hi all, I have a gypsey cob that I got a week ago, I had no intention of getting another horse but was told 'they were in NO rush for the money' so got him last friday, I told them about my bad accident and needed to make sure he was right for me, needles to say, yes he is and I have fallen in love with him, I trust him and he trust me, the problam is now that they are being really nasty and wanting paying for him, (i had only had him 3 days when they have started with the phone calls) I don't want to send him back,,but imdont no what to do as I don't have the money yet,,also I wouldent of paid the amount they are wanting for him, but because they 'wasent deprate for the money' I took him,, has any body got any advise,, ( I have managed to pay 200 to them so far).

    Forgot to mention they havent given me his passport yet,, but understandable as I haven paid for him yet,,( he does have one iv seen it)
         
        07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Ok, just to clarify:

    They wanted the horse sold yet there was no rush for you to pay for the horse right when it moved to wherever you are keeping it.

    They are now, 3 days after you taking the horse without payment, asking for the money.

    200 dollars (or pounds?) has been paid so far to the seller.

    The horse's 'passport' (i'm assuming his registration papers? I've never heard of a horse having a passport before) is still in the hands of the seller.

    You did not have the full purchase money to pay for the horse when it changed hands to you.

    You agreed upon the full purchase price although you were not entirely happy about that price, and you state you would not have paid that price if they wanted the full amount at once.
    --------

    I think what you need to do is be up front with the seller and tell them you do not have the full purchase price yet for the horse, if you haven't told them that already. Ask if you can do payment plans, but be prepared to have them take the horse back if they do not agree to that.

    Other than that, I can't really offer any advice. There should have been some sort of agreement in writing done up when the horse went to you, so that everything was clear on how much, when to pay, where the horse will stay in the meantime, transfer of 'passport', etc. things done 'on a handshake' are just not sufficient in this day and age, sadly, and people are not as likely to honour their word/verbal agreement as they would a contract/written agreement.
         
        07-12-2013, 05:17 PM
      #4
    Showing
    Edmonton, horses in the UK have actual passports, unlike here in North America. They're supposed to follow that horse its whole life, since it's a complete record of their history.

    Mandy, if they're pressuring you for full payment there's nothing much you can do other than give them the horse back, or as Edmonton suggested, ask for a payment plan. Whether or not you agree to his purchase price is moot, since either you keep the horse and pay them what they're asking, or give him back. Those are your only two options at this point.
    AlexS and demonwolfmoon like this.
         
        07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
      #5
    Started
    It sounds like they assumed you wanted him for a trial to see if you matched up, and were going to be paying for him when you decided whether or not you wanted the horse. Now you've decided you do, and they want their money. That's usually how sales with trials work. Ask if you can get on a consistent payment plan, but agree on a price FIRST and get it in writing, use checks not cash and get every single cent you send in writing.
         
        07-12-2013, 06:09 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    May I ask what the full asking price is? Did you get a receipt for the 200 you already gave them? Is an option a bank loan (there'll be interest to consider here as well) if the owners will not consider a payment plan? As others have said, get everything in writing and any exchange of money receipted.
         
        07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
      #7
    Banned
    It sounds like a misunderstanding, and the initial agreement should have been made in writing.

    However now you are here, talk to them. Are they willing to do a payment plan? If so get it in writing.
    And when did you originally plan to pay them? Are they aware of that?

    And now you have the horse, it's way too late to negotiate the price. You have taken that horse on, at the price they were asking for it.

    If you cannot pay, or they will not accept a payment arrangement, then you will have to give the horse back, or you can expect a visit from the police for theft.
         
        07-12-2013, 06:30 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    If you have to send the horse back, you may not get any of the deposit back. In the future, always get Everything in writing.
         
        07-12-2013, 06:37 PM
      #9
    Banned
    I've given this some more thought, and as it wasn't clear to both you and the seller the terms of the deal (as you still think you can negotiate price, but have taken possession of the horse). I actually think it's you who has taken them for a ride.

    Payment plans are fairly normal for horses price over 10k, but not for what I would assume this horse is worth, as you only left 200 pounds deposit.

    I'd be really miffed if I were the seller, and coming to take my horse back.
         
        07-12-2013, 07:02 PM
      #10
    Trained
    THIS is why my horses do not go on trials (buyers are welcome to come over a million times a day if they want), nor do they leave before payment is finished.
    THIS is also why for every deposit, there is a receipt. For every deal, there is a signed contract. Word of mouth gets you nowhere.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    how long to ride for first ride of the season Mama26kids Trail Riding 6 05-10-2013 09:06 PM
    Anyone ever ride the Chief Joseph Appalousa ride? tinyliny Trail Riding 1 02-08-2011 09:07 AM
    If you're gonna ride a young horse, then ride them. smrobs Horse Training 72 11-26-2010 11:00 PM
    1st Night ride, 4th bareback ride, 8th ride total Britt Horse Training 5 11-21-2010 09:03 PM
    My brother's first trail ride :P (and ride) Zab Trail Riding 3 07-30-2009 02:24 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0