Telling my instructor that I'm leaving the barn to take lessons elsewhere?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Telling my instructor that I'm leaving the barn to take lessons elsewhere?

This is a discussion on Telling my instructor that I'm leaving the barn to take lessons elsewhere? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Im nervpus for my new horse instructor
  • Horse forum leave barn

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LikeaTB

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
  #1
Weanling
Telling my instructor that I'm leaving the barn to take lessons elsewhere?

I've been doing Western for about 3-4 years now, and I did English for 2 years before that. I really want to go back to English now, and I've already talked it over with my parents and we set up lessons at an English barn. I'm going next Saturday, I can't wait!

I am just kind of afraid and nervous to tell my instructor that I'm leaving the barn. What should I say? I was thinking something along the lines of "I'd like to thank you for all you've taught me about horsemanship and riding here, but I feel like it is time for me to go back to English. I'd still like to help out at summer camps if you need." How's that sound?
Personally I've been feeling like I'm not getting anywhere in my riding for a while. I feel like, even though every once and a while I learn a new thing, like riding with one rope, that I am doing the same thing over and over and there is no "spark." I don't really want to say that because I don't want them to feel bad about not teaching me enough or something. I just feel as though I could progress more in English.

So is what I am planning on saying good? I'm just kind of worried about this...Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-01-2013, 09:44 PM
  #2
Banned
You don't need to give them any reasons or excuses why. Just tell them what you have written in you OP and roll with it. What's the worst that could happen?

I think you have genuine reasons and you don't need to explain yourself to anyone ( except maybe to your horse)
     
    02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
You don't need to give them any reasons or excuses why. Just tell them what you have written in you OP and roll with it. What's the worst that could happen?

I think you have genuine reasons and you don't need to explain yourself to anyone ( except maybe to your horse)
Thanks! I don't have a horse...I think not having one makes a switch easier :)

Another thing I'm just a tad worried about, but it is minor, is staying at the barn after a lesson. My mom was saying that it will be a strict 1 hour thing, no "hanging out at the barn" after my lesson like I do at my current barn. I was going to ask if any barn chores needed to be done afterward, like cleaning stalls, washing buckets, sweeping, etc. I LOVE to help!
     
    02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
  #4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeaTB    
Thanks! I don't have a horse...I think not having one makes a switch easier :)

Another thing I'm just a tad worried about, but it is minor, is staying at the barn after a lesson. My mom was saying that it will be a strict 1 hour thing, no "hanging out at the barn" after my lesson like I do at my current barn. I was going to ask if any barn chores needed to be done afterward, like cleaning stalls, washing buckets, sweeping, etc. I LOVE to help!
Just get a feel for the place first. You could after a while of 'getting to know you, getting to know all about you🎤' (sorry couldn't help myself) ask the instructor if you can stay on to observe lessons or Inquire with the BO 'is there anything I can help with?'......just smile lots, talk only moderately and always look busy, even if that means staring like your a bird dog ready to fetch a duck!!!
     
    02-01-2013, 10:17 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Just get a feel for the place first. You could after a while of 'getting to know you, getting to know all about you🎤' (sorry couldn't help myself) ask the instructor if you can stay on to observe lessons or Inquire with the BO 'is there anything I can help with?'......just smile lots, talk only moderately and always look busy, even if that means staring like your a bird dog ready to fetch a duck!!!
That is what I was thinking about doing; getting to now everyone and letting them get to know me and make sure they trust me before I ask to do stuff :)
Muppetgirl likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for instructor to give me lessons in burleson area hisangelonly Horse Training 0 05-10-2012 12:07 AM
Lessons with new dressage instructor... kitten_Val English Riding 12 09-19-2010 01:38 PM
Is it rude to NOT take lessons from the barn instructor? Magnum Opus English Riding 26 07-12-2010 09:23 PM
I need help telling the barn manager.... 22ponygirl527 Horse Boarding 12 04-10-2010 01:35 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0