Since the true cowboy is a dying breed I think it has become more of a way of thinking more so then even the way you dress, the music you listen to or where you live. I like the way Gene Autry put it in the Cowboy Code
1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
10. The Cowboy is a patriot.
My husband was a city dude turned horseman but he lives the cowboy code more than anyone else I know.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France