I love end-of-year Top 10 lists and thought it might be fun to start one for the best horse sports moments of 2012. Since we have members from so many different disciplines around the world, I'm really hoping to learn about amazing horses and riders that I wouldn't otherwise know about- so, if you post, it would be great if you can link to an article or news story for people interested in learning more. I'll say in advance that I don't know anything about sports like reining or barrel racing, so no deliberate snub intended in my list below- I'll just have to rely on others to fill in those details
Without further ado, here's my list:
10. US Thoroughbred race horse Paynter fights off colitis and laminitis, not only surviving against the odds but poised to resume training in 2013
9. Japanese eventer posts surprising Olympic dressage test to put Japan into the lead going into day 2 of the eventing competition.
8. British dressage star Carl Hester announces he will sell his stable heroes Valegro and Uthopia following Olympics.
9. US dressage mare Rafalca puts dressage on the map in the US heading into the Olympics, sparking (good-natured) spoofs on the sport because of her connections to then-Presidential candidate Mitt Romney.
6. US Thoroughbred I'll Have Another wins first two legs of the American Triple Crown and likely to be the first sweep since the 1970s, only to be scratched with a mysterious "injury" the day before the Belmont Stakes and sold off to stud in Japan.
5. Australian race mare Black Caviar wows the crowds winning at Royal Ascot
4. US super-race mares Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra deliver their first foals
3. Great Britain wins team jumping Olympic gold at home
2. Charlotte Dujardin delivers for her home crowd and wins individual Olympic dressage gold and the British team wins gold as well.
1. Unbeaten champion stallion Frankel storms the international racing scene
Which horse sports moments make your Top 10 list this year?