The decision: to sell,or not to sell,my mare.
So,Savana was my first horse,and I've had her for over 10 years now.That right there,I suppose,would be my biggest reason for holding on to her:sentimental reasons. She is a gorgeous little mare,but a real fire ball and quite a handful;she has endless energy,loves to run,and if she's not worked consistently,it only gets worse. And therein lies the problem.
See,two years ago I got very sick and spent a lot of time in the hospital.I was later diagnosed with a chronic heart condition/disease,which in turn caused chronic inflammation in the cartilage in my chest wall. EXTREMELY painful and limiting (I've only been able to start riding again in the last few months).So,I now find it very hard,right next to impossible,to ride a high spirited,prancing mare. After just a short ride,I am in so much pain and the swelling pops up,and I pay for it for days afterwards.I'm tense because of the pain which in turn makes her even more excited,and,you get the picture.I find myself gravitating more and more towards riding my other two mares who are much quieter and lazier. Which means Savvy isn't getting worked,which means that she is becoming even harder to manage when I do ride her. She has basically become a pasture puff,which is not at all fair to her,as she is bred to,and loves,to be out working.
I'm feeling rather torn about what to do here. On one hand,she is special to me as she's my first horse and all.We used to have so much fun together,and I got some really nice foals out of her. But on the other hand,I know it's not fair to her to not be using her,and I hate seeing all that work I did with her to even get her ridable going to waste. And I am not in the position financially to breed her again anytime soon.
So,what would you do? Find a new home for her where she will be able to do what she loves to do,or hang onto her because she's special to you?