A Tough Decision..
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

A Tough Decision..

This is a discussion on A Tough Decision.. within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Her tough decision

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
  #1
Yearling
A Tough Decision..

I've been mulling this around in my head for a while now,and am still up in the air as to what to do,so figured I'd get some opinions.
The decision: to sell,or not to sell,my mare.

So,Savana was my first horse,and I've had her for over 10 years now.That right there,I suppose,would be my biggest reason for holding on to her:sentimental reasons. She is a gorgeous little mare,but a real fire ball and quite a handful;she has endless energy,loves to run,and if she's not worked consistently,it only gets worse. And therein lies the problem.
See,two years ago I got very sick and spent a lot of time in the hospital.I was later diagnosed with a chronic heart condition/disease,which in turn caused chronic inflammation in the cartilage in my chest wall. EXTREMELY painful and limiting (I've only been able to start riding again in the last few months).So,I now find it very hard,right next to impossible,to ride a high spirited,prancing mare. After just a short ride,I am in so much pain and the swelling pops up,and I pay for it for days afterwards.I'm tense because of the pain which in turn makes her even more excited,and,you get the picture.I find myself gravitating more and more towards riding my other two mares who are much quieter and lazier. Which means Savvy isn't getting worked,which means that she is becoming even harder to manage when I do ride her. She has basically become a pasture puff,which is not at all fair to her,as she is bred to,and loves,to be out working.
I'm feeling rather torn about what to do here. On one hand,she is special to me as she's my first horse and all.We used to have so much fun together,and I got some really nice foals out of her. But on the other hand,I know it's not fair to her to not be using her,and I hate seeing all that work I did with her to even get her ridable going to waste. And I am not in the position financially to breed her again anytime soon.
So,what would you do? Find a new home for her where she will be able to do what she loves to do,or hang onto her because she's special to you?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
  #2
Yearling
It sounds like both of you would be better off if she were to find a new home! It's obvious that she's enthusiastic about her work, and has lots of energy to offer. However, you would be much safer, happier, and healthier if you had a more mild mannered horse.

While I can definitely understand that you feel sentimental about her, I think that it's not really fair to her to not be able to work consistently, and it's not fair to expect you to do it if you're feeling uncomfortable about it.

It'd probably be a win-win for you two to go your separate ways. :)

Hugs!
     
    09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpie    
It sounds like both of you would be better off if she were to find a new home! It's obvious that she's enthusiastic about her work, and has lots of energy to offer. However, you would be much safer, happier, and healthier if you had a more mild mannered horse.

While I can definitely understand that you feel sentimental about her, I think that it's not really fair to her to not be able to work consistently, and it's not fair to expect you to do it if you're feeling uncomfortable about it.

It'd probably be a win-win for you two to go your separate ways. :)

Hugs!
Thanks for the input. I think I know this in my head,it's just my heart that's having issues with it.. :) I would love to just be able to hop on and go,like old times,but it's just not physically possible for me anymore.Which is so frustrating,but that's just the way it is..
     
    09-12-2012, 08:56 PM
  #4
Foal
I think you love her and respect her enough to give her to someone who can and will provide the activity she needs... Of course you'll miss her but maybe whomever you sell her to has a Facebook and you can keep in touch :) take lots of pics and cherish your memories. Good Luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
countryryder likes this.
     
    09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
  #5
Foal
Do you maybe have the change of working her on the longe (sorry if i'm writing it wrong) before riding her?
Than she can get use her extra enegry and will be easier for you to ride her afterwords.

If you don't have this oppertunity I also think that you should sell her, for your and her best.
     
    09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSmoke    
do you maybe have the change of working her on the longe (sorry if i'm writing it wrong) before riding her?
Than she can get use her extra enegry and will be easier for you to ride her afterwords.

If you don't have this oppertunity I also think that you should sell her, for your and her best.

I often work her on the longe before riding her anyway... Have tried a few other things as well to use up some of that energy,but she seems to have an unlimited supply of the stuff,plus loads of stamina. I and the trainer both found that the only way to get her to relax and settle was to just let her run it out,other wise she was like a crazy wind up toy no matter how long you rode her.So I used to warm her up,then let her run for a few miles;after that she would settle down.That's not really an option anymore though..
     
    09-12-2012, 09:46 PM
  #7
Foal
Than I think you should sell her, even if it breaks your hart!

Your health is more important, and you should be safe and have fun with a horse, especially when you have a condition to keep in mind.

I also think that your horse will be happier as well, as soon as she can work hard like she likes to do.

I wish you lots of strength while making this decision.
countryryder likes this.
     
    09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
  #8
Yearling
Is this mainly about the horse? Or is it more about accepting the limitations from the health problem, and the horse is forcing that issue? (I ask because I've been there myself on having health limitations, and I found that once I had really accepted those, everything else became really clear.) Either way, I'm sorry this happened and that it makes it impossible for you to have the same relationship with your girl that you had before.
countryryder likes this.
     
    09-12-2012, 10:22 PM
  #9
Foal
Have you thought about leasing her? That way she will be getting ridden and more attention, and you won't have to worry about selling her and wondering where she may end up.
     
    09-12-2012, 10:35 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThursdayNext    
Is this mainly about the horse? Or is it more about accepting the limitations from the health problem, and the horse is forcing that issue? (I ask because I've been there myself on having health limitations, and I found that once I had really accepted those, everything else became really clear.) Either way, I'm sorry this happened and that it makes it impossible for you to have the same relationship with your girl that you had before.
I think you're on to something here. I've been pretty good with accepting the fact that there's a lot of things I can't do anymore,but this one's bothering me more for some reason..
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tough Decision furbabymum Horse Talk 4 05-07-2012 01:32 PM
Tough decision that I need your help on! JustDoIt Barn Maintenance 9 09-07-2011 08:04 PM
tough decision-to board or not? Rachel1786 Horse Riding 4 03-29-2011 09:19 PM
Tough Decision.... Brandon Horse Talk 21 09-13-2008 05:39 PM
Tough Decision!! mlkarel2010 Horse Riding 12 03-02-2008 11:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0