A trainer who cant get progress.
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

A trainer who cant get progress.

This is a discussion on A trainer who cant get progress. within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Cant get horse to move
  • Whydo theyput blinders on young horses

Like Tree57Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
  #1
Weanling
A trainer who cant get progress.

Well to start this off I will just kinda fill you in on why I sent this horse off in the first place. I got mt TWH filly at 18 months old and broke her to ride at about 2 years old and a few months. She wasnt hard to start at all and was a dream to work and ride (lightly cause she was young) I had her on trails and such with no problem. Well she got put up over the winter and just let off to rest and grow and such. Once we got her out this spring she liked to rear a little bit but nothing to bad like a foot or so and you could just get her to move forward. Well I have a full time job working at a bank and I am curently working a few horses at home for others and I have a few personal horses I am working as well so I came about this "Walking horse trainer" and she assured me she would have my filly ready to show in no time at all just 35 days and we would be in the show ring... Well I let her work the horse for 2 weeks before I even call to give her time to make some progress and once I call her for 4 days straight with no answer.... then she texts me and says I don't think your horse will make it in the show ring and she isnt going to be good enough for a trail horse cause she is too clumsy???? What the heck kinda trainer is she. My horse has 2 weeks left at her house. The question I have is I want others op about what they would do in my situation. Should I go get her now and just make the time to work her? Or should I give the woman 2 more week? I have a fear she isnt even working the horse to be honest. I mean in 2 weeks if I had nothing to do but work her all day I wouldnt be having this problem but I have a full time job and customers colts I start soon as I get home every evening I was just trying to get some wet saddle pads on this horse and I don't even think she is getting that! What would you do?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
  #2
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
Well to start this off I will just kinda fill you in on why I sent this horse off in the first place. I got mt TWH filly at 18 months old and broke her to ride at about 2 years old and a few months. She wasnt hard to start at all and was a dream to work and ride (lightly cause she was young) I had her on trails and such with no problem. Well she got put up over the winter and just let off to rest and grow and such. Once we got her out this spring she liked to rear a little bit but nothing to bad like a foot or so and you could just get her to move forward. Well I have a full time job working at a bank and I am curently working a few horses at home for others and I have a few personal horses I am working as well so I came about this "Walking horse trainer" and she assured me she would have my filly ready to show in no time at all just 35 days and we would be in the show ring.What?.?.. Well I let her work the horse for 2 weeks before I even call to give her time to make some progress and once I call her for 4 days straight with no answer.Did she give any kind of explanation for no return calls?... then she texts me and says I don't think your horse will make it in the show ring and she isnt going to be good enough for a trail horse cause she is too clumsy???? I'm waiting for the trainer to offer to buy her from you...that's all this needs. what the heck kinda trainer is she. Go get your horse! I hope she hasn't messed her up.My horse has 2 weeks left at her house. Again, go get that filly.The question I have is I want others op about what they would do in my situation. Should I go get her now and just make the time to work her? Or should I give the woman 2 more week? Why? She guaranteed you results, ignores you for 4 days, then says your horse will never even make a trail horse? I hope you haven't paid this woman. I have a fear she isnt even working the horse to be honest. Sadly, I'd bet you if she is, it isn't pretty. I mean in 2 weeks if I had nothing to do but work her all day I wouldnt be having this problem but I have a full time job and customers colts I start soon as I get home every evening I was just trying to get some wet saddle pads on this horse and I don't even think she is getting that! What would you do?
I'd go get my horse and think seriously about what I had paid for this woman to train her. I be darned if I'd pay for someone to tell me mine wouldn't even make a trail horse, in 14 days. With this being such a young horse, that kind of evaluation makes me question this entire "trainers" ability and honesty. But then again the 35 day guarantee already made me question this...
     
    05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
  #3
Weanling
You might be better off bringing her home and working her yourself, or finding a new trainer. Sometimes I wonder how many people go through a bunch of horses because the trainer tells them their current horse isn't good enough. Not that I'm saying that's the case with you. It's just something I have seen over the years. I think a trainer should focus on what a horse can do, rather than making negative judgments.
     
    05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaholic    
I'd go get my horse and think seriously about what I had paid for this woman to train her. I be darned if I'd pay for someone to tell me mine wouldn't even make a trail horse, in 14 days. With this being such a young horse, that kind of evaluation makes me question this entire "trainers" ability and honesty. But then again the 35 day guarantee already made me question this...
Thanks Rascaholic, I think when I get off this next weekend I might just go pick her up. I am worried that this so called "trainer" is just someone trying to make a buck and listen to this reason for not answering me saturday and then texting me back the next day... She was getting ready for a show. Now I called her at 7:30 am. I mean she could have spoke to me for at least a few min ya know? I don't think she is a very good rider/trainer and I should have known when I rode one of her "racking" mares the day I dropped my girl off. She said she was racking and that horse I assure you was trotting ha ha. I guess I should have known /facepalm ha ha. I am kinda scared she is doing more harm than good. And she told me she has been riding her in blinders because she won't pay attention to the rider and she is too worried about whats going on around her??
     
    05-14-2012, 11:52 AM
  #5
Yearling
I had an awesome trainer who claimed my QH mare was a dud, so I sold her to him as a lesson horse in training. At a loss I might add.

I made an unexpected trip to his barn to pick up some tack. I got to overhear how I was an idiot for selling the best mare around. He got her for a song, blah blah blah because I didn't want her, she was a dud. (22 at the time and I trusted his judgement as he'd helped train another horse the summer before when I didn't have time.)

I let him know I had overheard everything. I was PI***D!! He just looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "So, sue me." Then he told me to get my s**t and get off his property. He laughed at how naive I was and about my expectations of a "fair shake" when it came to a horse. He really needled me as I gathered my stuff to go.

I contacted an attorney, found I had no leg to stand on as it was, he said, she said. I watched the best little barrel mare take prize after prize the next summer. She really was a rocking little barrel horse. Well karma is always watching .

He wound up losing her when he sent her out of state to be bred. Something about going over the limit on pick up time. I never did get all the details, but it did do my heart good to know she had a new life elsewhere, and he got it given back to him by someone a little slicker than he was.
     
    05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaholic    
I had an awesome trainer who claimed my QH mare was a dud, so I sold her to him as a lesson horse in training. At a loss I might add.

I made an unexpected trip to his barn to pick up some tack. I got to overhear how I was an idiot for selling the best mare around. He got her for a song, blah blah blah because I didn't want her, she was a dud. (22 at the time and I trusted his judgement as he'd helped train another horse the summer before when I didn't have time.)

I let him know I had overheard everything. I was PI***D!! He just looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "So, sue me." Then he told me to get my s**t and get off his property. He laughed at how naive I was and about my expectations of a "fair shake" when it came to a horse. He really needled me as I gathered my stuff to go.

I contacted an attorney, found I had no leg to stand on as it was, he said, she said. I watched the best little barrel mare take prize after prize the next summer. She really was a rocking little barrel horse. Well karma is always watching .

He wound up losing her when he sent her out of state to be bred. Something about going over the limit on pick up time. I never did get all the details, but it did do my heart good to know she had a new life elsewhere, and he got it given back to him by someone a little slicker than he was.

I am sorry to hear that! The world we live in today huh. Well he got what he deserved and that's to lose ownership. Well now I am at work and worried what this so called trainer is doin...
     
    05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
  #7
Yearling
Unfortunately some trainers are just weird. SOunds like you found one.

Walkers are different, they need to be treated different as far as training, as I am sure you know. Red flags keep popping up here. 1. Her "racking horse" was trotting. LOL. 2. She put blinders on, as she won't "pay attention" and she's only worked the horse for 2 weeks? Any trainer that starts to handicap a horse to make it better "trained" after having it only 2 weeks, and a green broke horse at that, needs to be kicked in the rear. She doesn't need blinders, she needs work.

The "clumsy" thing, may also be a red flag. I've seen a lot of people call walkers "clumsy" because they drag their feet more than other horses due to their gait, and may trip more (not all of them, but some for sure). As someone who has owned and worked with Walkers, they are not clumsy, but need to be trimmed correctly and allowed to find their rhythm. I would see it as a red flag is she says your horse is clumsy, as that is an indication that maybe she does not know they breed as well as she does. If she did, she would not blame the horse for something that trivial.

Also, what kind of "showing" does she do with walkers? I am always skeptical of the trainers who "show" walkers and train them for the bigger shows. I know there are good and bad ones out there, but, especially in the walking world, they can REALLY mess them up when they try to get them to gait "correctly."

I would go get my horse. She's not answering calls or making an effort to keep you informed, which, in my opinion, makes for a bad training experience all around.

Have you ever been there when she works with your horse?
     
    05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
Unfortunately some trainers are just weird. SOunds like you found one.

Walkers are different, they need to be treated different as far as training, as I am sure you know. Red flags keep popping up here. 1. Her "racking horse" was trotting. LOL. 2. She put blinders on, as she won't "pay attention" and she's only worked the horse for 2 weeks? Any trainer that starts to handicap a horse to make it better "trained" after having it only 2 weeks, and a green broke horse at that, needs to be kicked in the rear. She doesn't need blinders, she needs work.

The "clumsy" thing, may also be a red flag. I've seen a lot of people call walkers "clumsy" because they drag their feet more than other horses due to their gait, and may trip more (not all of them, but some for sure). As someone who has owned and worked with Walkers, they are not clumsy, but need to be trimmed correctly and allowed to find their rhythm. I would see it as a red flag is she says your horse is clumsy, as that is an indication that maybe she does not know they breed as well as she does. If she did, she would not blame the horse for something that trivial.

Also, what kind of "showing" does she do with walkers? I am always skeptical of the trainers who "show" walkers and train them for the bigger shows. I know there are good and bad ones out there, but, especially in the walking world, they can REALLY mess them up when they try to get them to gait "correctly."

I would go get my horse. She's not answering calls or making an effort to keep you informed, which, in my opinion, makes for a bad training experience all around.

Have you ever been there when she works with your horse?

See that's the first red flag I should have caught myself, she didnt ride it when I got her there she wanted to see me ride it cause she doesn't break horses she just works them under saddle... Huge red flag there if you ask me that I didnt catch till the ride home I was like... You don't break horses?? Your a trainer? But I had driven her so far 3 hrs. I was going to see what she could do now I am kicking myself.
     
    05-14-2012, 01:18 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
See that's the first red flag I should have caught myself, she didnt ride it when I got her there she wanted to see me ride it cause she doesn't break horses she just works them under saddle... Huge red flag there if you ask me that I didnt catch till the ride home I was like... You don't break horses?? Your a trainer? But I had driven her so far 3 hrs. I was going to see what she could do now I am kicking myself.
Yeah unfortunately your horse needs more than just a tune up. Although I'm sure she's had a fantastic start as a 2 year old, she is still green and cannot just be "ridden" she needs to be taught what to do and how to respond to situations, as I am sure you know.

I'd cut my losses, take it as a lesson learned, and go get my horse back. 2 more weeks with a bad trainer is worse than 2 weeks off. It is much harder to undo bad training than to start from scratch.
     
    05-14-2012, 02:28 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
Yeah unfortunately your horse needs more than just a tune up. Although I'm sure she's had a fantastic start as a 2 year old, she is still green and cannot just be "ridden" she needs to be taught what to do and how to respond to situations, as I am sure you know.

I'd cut my losses, take it as a lesson learned, and go get my horse back. 2 more weeks with a bad trainer is worse than 2 weeks off. It is much harder to undo bad training than to start from scratch.

Your exactly right, I just talked to my boss I get off early wednesday afternoon this week and I will be headed to get her and I will put her back into my training schedule as I have lost intrest in letting others play with my time and money ya know? I just figured the woman knew what she was doing since she had the advertisments and such but looks can be deceiving. I will be putting the horse back into my program for now :P
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To get a trainer, or to not get a trainer. THAT is the question! Cowgirls Boots Western Riding 1 11-03-2011 07:37 AM
making Quick progress with new trainer... HalfPass Horse Pictures 14 12-16-2010 10:56 PM
Dressage trainer or Arab trainer? knaskedov Dressage 7 01-04-2010 09:20 PM
WANTED - ASSISTANT TRAINER S to NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP TRAINER Lolabydream Natural Horsemanship 0 03-23-2009 05:27 PM
A work in progress **Updated progress 7-31-07** MorningDusk Horse Artwork 5 07-31-2007 01:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0