Is unnecessary blanketing some sort of craze? - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Is unnecessary blanketing some sort of craze?

This is a discussion on Is unnecessary blanketing some sort of craze? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Rain sheet horse unnecessary
  • Blanketing a horse for a few hours a day

Like Tree98Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
  #41
Green Broke
One of my favorite things to do with a blanketed horse is pull their blanket off for a few hours in the afternoon on nice days and let them romp and roll naked in the snow.

I watch the horses in my care carefully. If its a nice day with the sun shining I let them hang out without blankets while I am around. I then will throw their blanket back on when I am leaving or if they look cold.

If I didn't ride all winter and school heavily I probably wouldn't blanket. But since I do ride and they sweat from working, I blanket.

I am currently horseless and work with other peoples horses. So I just do whatever the owners want.

But at the end of the day. Yep I will blanket my own horse. And one of the biggest reasons is it makes things easier for me. I can try and justify it saying its for the health of the horse blah blah blah.... but it all boils down to making my life easier.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
  #42
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer    
One of my favorite things to do with a blanketed horse is pull their blanket off for a few hours in the afternoon on nice days and let them romp and roll naked in the snow.

I watch the horses in my care carefully. If its a nice day with the sun shining I let them hang out without blankets while I am around. I then will throw their blanket back on when I am leaving or if they look cold.

If I didn't ride all winter and school heavily I probably wouldn't blanket. But since I do ride and they sweat from working, I blanket.

I am currently horseless and work with other peoples horses. So I just do whatever the owners want.

But at the end of the day. Yep I will blanket my own horse. And one of the biggest reasons is it makes things easier for me. I can try and justify it saying its for the health of the horse blah blah blah.... but it all boils down to making my life easier.
very well said!! A nice roll in the the snow almost as good as a mud puddle in the summer =)
     
    10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
  #43
Trained
The reason I did blanket my horses one winter was to keep them dry & clean so I would have minimal grooming when I rode, HAH. The goofballs invented of a game of "Let's shred each other blankets & watch the old lady buy more!" They don't need blankets and I can towel them down if they are wet or muddy when I want to ride.
franknbeans and COWCHICK77 like this.
     
    10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
  #44
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
The reason I did blanket my horses one winter was to keep them dry & clean so I would have minimal grooming when I rode, HAH. The goofballs invented of a game of "Let's shred each other blankets & watch the old lady buy more!" They don't need blankets and I can towel them down if they are wet or muddy when I want to ride.
I have a gelding that can make almost anything in to a toy..thankfully he leaves his and everybody else's blanket alone. When we used to board they would leave on halters at turn out (which I hated by the way) and horses used to use them to irritate each other and pull on them frequently causing a need for a new halter..I can understand your frustration.
     
    10-07-2012, 02:20 PM
  #45
Trained
I only blanket the one or 2 I'm going to ride, if I have an older horse who's having trouble keeping weight on, or the very young. Otherwise.....butt nekkid! I do bring them in if we get a wicked wind or ice storm or snow or rain storm, but on nice days, even if it's below 0 they can be blanket-less and do just fine as long as they have plenty of hay.
     
    10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
  #46
Started
We have a few horses and fewer blankets. Everyone lives outside with run ins. We have blankets for emergencies. It snows or sleets for two days straight and someone is shivering, they get a blanket. We check ever few hours see if they are sweating and remove the blanket. A lot of people get upset because their horse stands out in the snow. They bring the horse in and blanket it thinking the horse is cold. Horses are not stupid (they might act foolish) they are not going to put themselves in a situation where they are uncomfortable. If they are standing out in the snow at 5 pm its because they are comfortable there.
     
    10-07-2012, 02:37 PM
  #47
Trained
I have a few oldies that feel it when it hits around -50 and down, but I don't generally blanket unless it is needed. Horses are built for survival; we mess it up.
     
    10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
  #48
Yearling
Around here, I rarely see it.. I agree when people say it depends on the horse.

Personally, I'll definitely be blanketing Indie throughout the winter.. currently, she's wearing a rain sheet (no fill) because it's been quite rainy lately combined with a bit of wind at night. (she's still a bit skinny and we're trying to get weight on her, so it's easier when not all the calories are spent trying to keep her warm).

In the summer, I have a fly sheet for her because we suspect that she's allergic, as she came to me covered in hives.. and once we threw a fly sheet on her, there was a big improvement.

This winter, she'll wear a heavyweight blanket because we're presuming she'll still be on the slim side. She'll also have a stable blanket for days/nights when it's too cold for them to be outside.
     
    10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
  #49
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinsam    
I too don't see the need to blanket horses in the wild don't get blankets they learn to survive.
Posted via Mobile Device
And horses in the wild are completely different from domestic horses. People bred horses for domestic uses like pulling carts, riding into town, meat, milk, etc., not for their hard hooves or thick winter coats, which in a lot of horses has been outbred.

Like someone else just said, I don't blanket for cold, I blanket for wet. I prefer my horses not shivering in the rain.
     
    10-07-2012, 03:33 PM
  #50
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore    
Around here, I rarely see it.. I agree when people say it depends on the horse.

Personally, I'll definitely be blanketing Indie throughout the winter.. currently, she's wearing a rain sheet (no fill) because it's been quite rainy lately combined with a bit of wind at night. (she's still a bit skinny and we're trying to get weight on her, so it's easier when not all the calories are spent trying to keep her warm).
Actually, I believe it depends on the owner, not the horse.

I will blanket soon as the temps are dropping but rain sheets? Wouldn't even consider them. I worry about lightning but rain..not a second thought...unless, of course its freezing temps outside and then their blankets are waterproof :)

As said in an above post plenty of hay takes care of that calorie burn issue.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im on a foal drawing craze!! I need pictures of foals to draw!! PintoTess Horse Artwork 66 04-23-2011 09:58 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0