veteran or youngster for my mom? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

veteran or youngster for my mom?

This is a discussion on veteran or youngster for my mom? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Don't know if this will do you ant good, but I fins pacing standard breds have a nice trot to sit, that's easy on the back. You might want to look into some of the other pacing breeds(there are some pacing ponies) and see if they will be of any use.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmilyandNikki    
    Don't know if this will do you ant good, but I fins pacing standard breds have a nice trot to sit, that's easy on the back. You might want to look into some of the other pacing breeds(there are some pacing ponies) and see if they will be of any use.
    It's funny you should say that we sold a standardbred mare a year ago who is 11 we used her as a broodmare but previously she had been used for hacking and the girl we bought her from text me yesterday to say she is now hacking out really well and isn't fazed by anything. I'm going to see her tomorrow as she is putting her up for sale due to college.
         
        06-02-2011, 04:31 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    +1 on the need for a horse with smooth movement. Size may also matter - if your mom's RA is in her hips and knees, or lower back, she may need something a little easier to get her legs around.

    Also +1 on getting a horse that isn't going to require a ton of effort and work. One of the things that people don't realize about autoimmune diseases like RA is that ALL of them wipe you out, big time. She's not going to have access to the normal amount of energy for someone her age - if what she wants to do is ride a bit, get her a horse that is already easy to ride and well-behaved, so that she doesn't have to waste her short-supply of juice on dealing with bad manners.
         
        06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
      #14
    Foal
    I'd recommend a small, BTDT paso fino actually. Yes they are a bit of a hotter breed in general, but the majority I've been around have been very level headed. The reason I recommend the paso fino for your mother is because of the gait and her arthritis. She won't be jossled around at all, and they are a small breed. (13-15hh) My paso fino was 13HH. So that's my recommendation.

    Golden oldie and gaited.
         
        06-03-2011, 02:22 AM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serafina    
    +1 on the need for a horse with smooth movement. Size may also matter - if your mom's RA is in her hips and knees, or lower back, she may need something a little easier to get her legs around.

    Also +1 on getting a horse that isn't going to require a ton of effort and work. One of the things that people don't realize about autoimmune diseases like RA is that ALL of them wipe you out, big time. She's not going to have access to the normal amount of energy for someone her age - if what she wants to do is ride a bit, get her a horse that is already easy to ride and well-behaved, so that she doesn't have to waste her short-supply of juice on dealing with bad manners.
    this is very true she doesn't have masses of energy and a really well mannered easy to ride and minimal effort kind of horse does sound the better option.
         
        06-03-2011, 02:26 AM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkBucephalus    
    I'd recommend a small, BTDT paso fino actually. Yes they are a bit of a hotter breed in general, but the majority I've been around have been very level headed. The reason I recommend the paso fino for your mother is because of the gait and her arthritis. She won't be jossled around at all, and they are a small breed. (13-15hh) My paso fino was 13HH. So that's my recommendation.

    Golden oldie and gaited.
    I think pasos are fairly rare in the uk. Although I could have a look on the internet and see if there are any for sale. Don't know much about having gaited horses apart from my standardbred but she was just a broodmare. Is there anything specific I should be aware of?
         
        06-03-2011, 02:36 AM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netty83    
    I think pasos are fairly rare in the uk. Although I could have a look on the internet and see if there are any for sale. Don't know much about having gaited horses apart from my standardbred but she was just a broodmare. Is there anything specific I should be aware of?
    Becareful who you buy them off of, of course.

    Not sure if they same terms are used in the US for Pasos and the UK. But, when looking I highly recommend a "pleasure" paso. Not performance or classic fino. They have a tighter gait that's more desired for the show ring. The tighter the gait, and higher in show quality, the more expensive obviously. Like I said, they are a generally hotter blooded horse by nature and breeding. In my experience, the geldings have been more leveled headed than the mares and stallions. Of course this also depends on the individual. I have to stress that lol. ALL pasos are different really. But get a really quiet one, and it might still give your mom the bite she might want in spirit, while still being calm and compliant enough that she wouldn't have to expend too much energy. (Mind you, I am speaking from *my* experience with paso finos.) So I'd just say the general stuff you'd need to watch for, red flags from the seller, soundness, temperment, how broke the horse is, etc. Nothing all that different. I also recommend doing some research on the breed too.

    Sorry about the absolutely long rambling there lol. But I think with some good luck over there for ya, your mom would be super happy with a Paso Fino. I will always recommend a paso for anyone with any back problems, or RA etc etc. The ride is like an absolute cloud when you have a paso that's not green. Their gait seems smooth out with age and as they find their balance and "Feet" as it were. (again, my experience working with the breed)


    There's a good example of the gait undersaddle
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    youngster won't stand still netty83 Horse Training 12 10-27-2010 11:54 PM
    New Youngster, Unsure of Where To Go RogueMare Horse Training 14 09-04-2010 02:50 PM
    about a WWII veteran. RegalCharm General Off Topic Discussion 8 10-16-2009 01:03 AM
    3 Year Veteran goldilockz General Off Topic Discussion 6 07-15-2009 08:35 AM
    need a youngster blaze1 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-26-2007 05:46 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0