volunteering
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

volunteering

This is a discussion on volunteering within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse volunteering

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Foxhunter

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-12-2012, 03:41 AM
  #1
Foal
volunteering

I was around horses quite a bit when I was younger. But its been several years other than a few short rides. I've always loved horses, but have had a pretty fast paced life that led me away from them for a while.

Life has slowed down, and I just had my leg amputated below the knee. I should get my prosthetic in 4 weeks and will begin learning to walk with it.

Before my surgery, I was at a friend of a friend's place that had a couple horses. It really got me thinking how much I miss being around horses and would love to get involved with them again.

I was wondering if there was any kind of volunteering that can be done at stables or something? I've never really been around stables, just had friends that had horses on their land, so im not sure how they work. I figure if stables to take volunteer work it would probly be too physical for what i'll be capable of. Although the dr will want me pretty active, so id be capable of more than it sounds.

Im not looking for anything right away obviously, and not really sure what im asking lol. Just kind of looking for the best way to get involved. Does anyone do anything like this or have any advise? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-12-2012, 04:27 AM
  #2
Super Moderator
There is absolutely no reason why, once you are use to your new leg, you should not be able to do all that you did before, including pushing a wheelbarrow to the muck heap!

Many years ago I was teaching riding. One girl of about 11 years had been riding for a couple of terms. She was a good little rider, tough and brave. I wanted her to get her legs into a better position and tok hold to place it correctly only to feel that the lower leg was solid. I looked at her and said "Why didn't you tell me you had a prosthetic?"
She told me "I didn't want you to think I needed special treatment!"

She never got it from me!
See if there are stables near or ask your friend and go along and start just being around the horses, groom, ride, and enjoy.
Misty'sGirl likes this.
     
    03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
  #3
Weanling
Alternatively is there a Riding for the Disabled group near you? Not that I'm saying you're disabled, don't want to offend, but the horses there are often very quiet and totally experienced with helping people start or re-start riding with a lot of patience, and you could also volunteer there, either grooming etc or even leading horses for other riders.
     
    03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
  #4
Weanling
Is there a local saddle club or horse park you could volunteer with? Maybe helping at shows, signing people in and such? I volunteer at a horse park (lucky to have one close by) and I've done some tasks like set barrels for barrel racing and jump judging on xc courses that aren't so physical but could get you involved.
     
    03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
There is absolutely no reason why, once you are use to your new leg, you should not be able to do all that you did before, including pushing a wheelbarrow to the muck heap!

Many years ago I was teaching riding. One girl of about 11 years had been riding for a couple of terms. She was a good little rider, tough and brave. I wanted her to get her legs into a better position and tok hold to place it correctly only to feel that the lower leg was solid. I looked at her and said "Why didn't you tell me you had a prosthetic?"
She told me "I didn't want you to think I needed special treatment!"

She never got it from me!
See if there are stables near or ask your friend and go along and start just being around the horses, groom, ride, and enjoy.
i have no doubt i'll be able to be capable of all that....i was just thinking somone might not think I was capable. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty'sGirl    
Alternatively is there a Riding for the Disabled group near you? Not that I'm saying you're disabled, don't want to offend, but the horses there are often very quiet and totally experienced with helping people start or re-start riding with a lot of patience, and you could also volunteer there, either grooming etc or even leading horses for other riders.
haha no your not going to offend me at all!! That's a really good idea. Im not sure if there is or not. I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy410    
Is there a local saddle club or horse park you could volunteer with? Maybe helping at shows, signing people in and such? I volunteer at a horse park (lucky to have one close by) and I've done some tasks like set barrels for barrel racing and jump judging on xc courses that aren't so physical but could get you involved.
i think theres a few pretty close, that's a good idea. Thanks!


I appreciate all the ideas! I don't have the funds to buy and board a horse right now, so im just looking for anything that can get me around horses again until I get back to working steady again
     
    03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  #6
Teen Forum Moderator
I think that looking for a place that specializes in disabled people is a brilliant idea. You might even be able to find somewhere that would allow you to help (groom, tack, lead, muck, side walk, the list goes on...) out with their further disabled people, and in return help you learn to ride again for your help. It would be win-win, and the disabled people that you help with will probably really appreciate someone as strong as you are, showing them that nothing is impossible!

I am a volunteer at a therapeudic riding farm and have been for about four years. I've seen all kinds of people come through tough situations to do wonderful things! Once such time was during our annual fundraiser (we're nonprofit). A woman had brought her two children for our pony rides and I was talking to her as we walked. She mentioned how she had always loved horses, and really wished that she was able to ride, and I told her that we had a lesson program if she was interested. I remember seeing her just sadly shaking her head and saying 'oh no, you see- I had my legs blown off in Iraq last year. I have prosthetics now.' Imagine her suprise when I just grinned at her and said 'and? Don't let that stop you! We've had plenty of riders with one or more missing appendages.' We had her on a horse that very day, and you should of seen her face. I've never seen someone happier than she was!

She has now been riding with us for 8 months and can walk, trot, and canter. Granted, we use one of our smoother, gentler horses than with some other riders, but she's got the best seat I've ever seen on a person who started riding in their later years. Looking at her, you'd never know she didn't even think she was allowed to ride a horse less than a year before!
     
    03-12-2012, 05:35 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
I think that looking for a place that specializes in disabled people is a brilliant idea. You might even be able to find somewhere that would allow you to help (groom, tack, lead, muck, side walk, the list goes on...) out with their further disabled people, and in return help you learn to ride again for your help. It would be win-win, and the disabled people that you help with will probably really appreciate someone as strong as you are, showing them that nothing is impossible!

I am a volunteer at a therapeudic riding farm and have been for about four years. I've seen all kinds of people come through tough situations to do wonderful things! Once such time was during our annual fundraiser (we're nonprofit). A woman had brought her two children for our pony rides and I was talking to her as we walked. She mentioned how she had always loved horses, and really wished that she was able to ride, and I told her that we had a lesson program if she was interested. I remember seeing her just sadly shaking her head and saying 'oh no, you see- I had my legs blown off in Iraq last year. I have prosthetics now.' Imagine her suprise when I just grinned at her and said 'and? Don't let that stop you! We've had plenty of riders with one or more missing appendages.' We had her on a horse that very day, and you should of seen her face. I've never seen someone happier than she was!

She has now been riding with us for 8 months and can walk, trot, and canter. Granted, we use one of our smoother, gentler horses than with some other riders, but she's got the best seat I've ever seen on a person who started riding in their later years. Looking at her, you'd never know she didn't even think she was allowed to ride a horse less than a year before!
yea I really like this idea. It would be a win-win if I could help other disabled people at the same time.

That's a really amazing story. Its things like that that really remind us whats important in life
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About to begin volunteering at a therapeutic riding stable! Cheryl2 Meet the Community 55 02-18-2012 12:25 PM
horsemanship course/ volunteering in the Caribbean EdenRanch Natural Horsemanship 0 05-17-2011 08:23 PM
Volunteering at wildlife conservation MaggiStar General Off Topic Discussion 0 04-13-2011 05:32 PM
volunteering for a horse rescue JustPaint Horse Talk 3 02-18-2011 11:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0