Western Dressage - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Western Dressage

This is a discussion on Western Dressage within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree14Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-14-2012, 03:07 PM
      #21
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Regula    
    Mind you, I'm an "English Dressage" rider, but I don't really see the point of WD. Unless it's higher level dressage, pretty much every breed can do it, some with more and some with less challenges. It sometimes helps to have a flashy horse, but in the end most of the judging is on relaxation, rhythm, correctness, and willingness.
    Want to do dressage, then do dressage. Want to invent a new western event, then do that.
    No one with a big warmblood has come up with "english cutting" events and then complains that qh with an english saddle on win the show...
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Exactly my point. I think WD is a fad and as soon at the BNDTs figure out that there's more prize money to be won in WD then it's going to be normal dressage with less regulation and scarier bits. Woo. Won't that be fun
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
      #22
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    Exactly my point. I think WD is a fad and as soon at the BNDTs figure out that there's more prize money to be won in WD then it's going to be normal dressage with less regulation and scarier bits. Woo. Won't that be fun
    Ugh! Yup you need a different degree of contact with dressage, regarding snaffle vs. curb, hence different bitting protocols......might be a gong show! I think it will be a fad too....
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
      #23
    Yearling
    I like this whole eventing thing with the speed events and a trail event. That would be really interesting to see and just as interesting to compete in. Like have a trail ride with a bunch of obstacles but make it actually on a trail kinda like a ctr, then have an in arena speed event like barrels or poles or both or even an event involving cattle, and then have another arena event like western riding, western dressage, or reining. That would be a blast!
         
        10-14-2012, 06:07 PM
      #24
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowgirl928    
    I like this whole eventing thing with the speed events and a trail event. That would be really interesting to see and just as interesting to compete in. Like have a trail ride with a bunch of obstacles but make it actually on a trail kinda like a ctr, then have an in arena speed event like barrels or poles or both or even an event involving cattle, and then have another arena event like western riding, western dressage, or reining. That would be a blast!
    If you are looking for variety like that, try a stock or ranch horse show.

    You have trail, pleasure, reining, cutting(depending on what shows and assoc.) And speed with the cow work class. It is basically eventing, but western style.
         
        10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
      #25
    Trained
    ^^^ Do they combine the scores for an overall winner?
         
        10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
      #26
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Regula    
    Mind you, I'm an "English Dressage" rider, but I don't really see the point of WD. Unless it's higher level dressage, pretty much every breed can do it, some with more and some with less challenges. It sometimes helps to have a flashy horse, but in the end most of the judging is on relaxation, rhythm, correctness, and willingness.
    Want to do dressage, then do dressage. Want to invent a new western event, then do that.
    No one with a big warmblood has come up with "english cutting" events and then complains that qh with an english saddle on win the show...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Totally agree & Yes coming from a primarily western rider I don't get this WD stuff.If you want to do dressage then do dressage!English dressage has an elegance, it is a pleasure to watch a good dressage horse. Don't Ruin it by try to dress it up western tack it doesn't work,at least not for me. I get much more pleasure watching a well trained western horses doing their thing & showing finesse doing other events like reining, pleasure, WCH etc.
         
        10-14-2012, 07:18 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsms    
    ^^^ Do they combine the scores for an overall winner?
    They usually place for individual classes, then are required to show in all classes to for the overall but not required to show in all classes just to participate.

    AQHA Versatility I think is different, you enter and do all five classes, rather than enter each class individually.

    Does that make sense? LOL
         
        10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
      #28
    Started
    The western dressage I've seen, thankfully only on videos, looks fairly awful. Over bitting and too much contact vs. training. Completely non-functional, too, for a western horse.
         
        10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
      #29
    Started
    I think it probably is a fad and I agree with those that pointed out that some horses in general are more talented in one area then another. If we all go out for the sole intention of showing at the highest level then yes we should hedge our bets with one breed or another. The fact is that 90% of people out there are showing locally. In which case, do what you want with your horse and if western dressage lights your fire do it.

    I think its a fad because the first place I remember seeing dressage movements on a western style horse was in the documentary Buck. See the first few seconds of this clip look at the movement on the horse around 7 seconds in. Its lovely and its something I only associate with dressage. Which is when I think people thought western dressage could be a game. That said, its a highly skilled rider/trainer on their horse. Which is the result of hours in the saddle. I think western dressage could become dressage with sequins and fringe which is horrible. The image presented in that video clip looks natural. The photo earlier of sequins and bangles is so forced looking in my opinion.

    I think the bit issue could be a problem. I think that bits are an issue in both western and english riding. In my opinion, there are horses out there and rider who are prematurely putting advanced bits in the horses mouths. The riders are not prepared and neither are the horses. That's something found no matter where or what your showing style. The only way to alter that was have a class in which only snaffles could be used.
         
        10-15-2012, 01:02 PM
      #30
    Ink
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rookie    
    I think its a fad because the first place I remember seeing dressage movements on a western style horse was in the documentary Buck. See the first few seconds of this clip Buck | trailer SUNDANCE 2011 - YouTube look at the movement on the horse around 7 seconds in. Its lovely and its something I only associate with dressage. Which is when I think people thought western dressage could be a game. That said, its a highly skilled rider/trainer on their horse. Which is the result of hours in the saddle. I think western dressage could become dressage with sequins and fringe which is horrible. The image presented in that video clip looks natural. The photo earlier of sequins and bangles is so forced looking in my opinion.

    Buck does some lovely things with his horse in that field. They cut to it throughout the documentary. It also shows/interviews a couple of dressage riders that go to his clinics. I think there's even a clip of them cutting cows on their warm bloods in their dressage saddles
    I don't think that lateral movement like that is necessarily exclusive to dressage, but I can see what you're getting at. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with western dressage if the rules catered a bit more to the western style of riding.

    I'm not sure which picture you're talking about that has sequin? The western riders in all of the videos posted on this thread look like they're dressed pretty simply to me.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    western dressage ! gypsygirl Dressage 7 08-10-2012 04:06 PM
    Western Dressage Black Out Horse Riding 5 08-08-2012 11:25 PM
    Western vs Dressage ThePoniesForever Horse Riding 13 05-29-2012 09:46 PM
    Dressage to Western HooverH English Riding 8 02-27-2010 02:45 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0