What grinds YOUR gears? - Page 19 - The Horse Forum

 473Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
A beginner was enlightened of the rules before the first ride. One of them was that if I heard the word "can't", the lesson would become a lesson on picking up manure while I watched.
Annanoel likes this.
Saddlebag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Wisconsin
Posts: 785
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
A beginner was enlightened of the rules before the first ride. One of them was that if I heard the word "can't", the lesson would become a lesson on picking up manure while I watched.
LOVE this, my old trainer used to do that. Boy, was she serious too. Even if we slipped we mucked stalls and did chores. She always made up the lesson time (even though she didn't have to, was in our contract we agreed to for said training and lessons), but I don't remember the last time I said I can't. (besides now) Amazing how something as little as that has made me a better rider.

To add to something that grinds my gears, when people talk about or rag on their "harsh" or "horrible" trainers. Most trainers have reasons for what they do, trashing a trainer when it's NOT necessary can really harm them in the long run. Especially on the internet. Always good to watch what you say, even if your trainer does warrant said "trash talking."

Most trainers, at least the ones that I have had are amazing. Yes, I've been yelled at, fallen off and told to get back on. In the end SO worth it, I've become a better rider, and am still becoming better today.

"Every person you will meet will have at least one great quality. Duplicate it and leave the rest." --Clinton Anderson
Annanoel is offline  
post #183 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,318
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by reigninseattle View Post
I like nylon tack. I prefer good quality leather because it looks nicer and lasts longer, but I also use nylon. I have two headstalls for my horse, one that is leather with silver hearts and cost $75 (admittedly not "top of the line", but it is good quality) and came with split reins that I don't even use (too short for my liking), and one that is plain black nylon and came with long trail reins and a hackamore that I got for $12 at a tack sale. And guess what? Each headstall performs exactly the same. I even prefer the nylon headstall if I'm switching bits because it has buckle bit ends. I wouldn't show in nylon tack, but a lot of people can't afford to buy top of the line gear and nylon is a perfectly good alternative. I also like it for trail riding so I don't mess up my nice headstall. Just because it's not expensive or fancy doesn't mean it's trash.
I didn't mean leather was synonymous with quality. I meant I have a personal adversion to nylon...and (separately) I see no reason to buy low quality tack (be it leather, cotton, synthetic or wool). Good servicable tack that will last you a lifetime is less expensive than low quality crap that won't last a year....so it is "inexpensive", relatively speaking. To me, fancy is just optional trimmings that serve no real purpose, so that is just a personal choice.
GallopingGuitarist likes this.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #184 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 70
• Horses: 2
I looove my nylon bridle! I don't have to worry about it getting dirty, wet or muddy. I can swim with it and it can sit outside in the rain and I don't have to worry about it getting moldy. I can not stand people who judge me because of it.
reigninseattle likes this.
Faye83 is offline  
post #185 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 977
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94 View Post
Are you serious? The whole idea for MAGNETS IN YOUR STIRRUPS is preposterous. If you think you need magnets in your stirrups then maybe you need to examine your riding. I am not a professional but I also don't need magnets in my stirrups to ride. And when I do, will I buy magnet stirrups? Nope. I will buy riding lessons to hone my skills
Laura Kraut (USA) is one of the winningest riders and most successful trainers in the world. She endorses and uses magnetic stirrups. No one should suggest Laura needs to examine her riding.
updownrider is offline  
post #186 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,428
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faye83 View Post
I looove my nylon bridle! I don't have to worry about it getting dirty, wet or muddy. I can swim with it and it can sit outside in the rain and I don't have to worry about it getting moldy. I can not stand people who judge me because of it.
You covered low maintenance and durable, but left out light weight. It's not just bridles (and I ride with non leather halters anyway). When I'm ready to ride out for long distances I replace my stirrup straps and cinch straps to nylon (if they're not already being used). The saddle is the only thing I haven't yet been able able to bring myself to go synthetic with, but my next one will have 1/3 less leather, because leather weighs so much and I don't need flaps or fenders. The only reason I'll use all leather is when I'm working on load bearing and I want the weight then.

As I pointed out to a camping buddy (he doesn't ride) who asked me why I replaced leather straps on my saddles with nylon? He loves leather and we both wear leather jackets, coats and hats. I asked him if he'd rather trade in his synthetic backpack for a leather one, possibley have a tent made of leather, etc... and why didn't he wear his leather coat when we went camping? Of course his answer came down to weight and mainenance. Which is what I pointed out with the horses. If he were a horse would he rather carry around those extra lbs of leather or have the weight reduced? The light bulb in his head finally turned on . Of course then I had to explain why I used a saddle and didn't ride bare back (same reason he uses a frame with his back pack).
Faye83 likes this.

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
post #187 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 933
• Horses: 2

I figure if a girl wants to be a LEGEND, she should just go ahead and be one. ~Calamity Jane
GallopingGuitarist is offline  
post #188 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGuitarist View Post
IMO, the goal of debate is education.

So no, I'm not going to Caps Lock you to death. I simply hope that somehow my arguments teach someone something.


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #189 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 425
• Horses: 2
^^ they have taught me loads!!
LoveMyDrummerBoy is offline  
post #190 of 192 Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 73
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
I didn't mean leather was synonymous with quality. I meant I have a personal adversion to nylon...and (separately) I see no reason to buy low quality tack (be it leather, cotton, synthetic or wool). Good servicable tack that will last you a lifetime is less expensive than low quality crap that won't last a year....so it is "inexpensive", relatively speaking. To me, fancy is just optional trimmings that serve no real purpose, so that is just a personal choice.
Oh ok I get what you're saying. I'm the same way, I like to buy quality tack that will last a long time. I'm not really a huge fan of how nylon tack looks (some of it is cute for gaming, etc.), but I like it for working in (with the exception of saddles. I don't like nylon saddles)
Missy May likes this.
reigninseattle is offline  
Reply

Tags
pet peeves , rant , vent , venting , welfare

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What grinds YOUR gears? Horseychick94 Horse Talk 302 01-24-2012 01:21 PM
Too many gears... first time working a gaited horse - help! brackenrose Horse Training 1 03-04-2008 11:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome