What grinds YOUR gears? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What grinds YOUR gears?

This is a discussion on What grinds YOUR gears? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree473Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
      #21
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northernstar    
    What grinds my gears, (and I have a loooong fuse!), is when someone comes along and immediately criticizes your choice of hay, etc.. "you should do this, you should do that", when you actually bust your tail every single day to ensure your horses have the utmost and best possible care, feed, attention, etc. a human can give a horse, and your horses are so happy, bright, clean, smart, and well maintained :)
    And they could be either steering you wrong or there could be an even BETTER way to do things than they have told you
    Northernstar likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
      #22
    Weanling
    Hmmmm I have a lot that grinds my gears.. One is when people think there horse with papers is better then one with out papers.. I don't care about papers I ain't going to whip them with them nor am I going to ride with them I have had both don't make the horse to me:) also people who have to brag about what they have that is better then what someone else has not my cup of tea lol. K I'm done for now :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Horseychick94 and deltadawn like this.
         
        03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
      #23
    Started
    I know where you're coming from Horseychick. My family took in a mustang mare recently because we didn't want to see her being shuffled around from place to place without getting any actual training. She was adopted from a BLM auction. The adopter did the basic gentling and halter training and kept her for about a year before trading her to a breeder. About a month later the breeder decided that the mare wasn't really what she was looking for and her training wasn't up to par, so she asked the original adopter to take her back. The original adopter had already taken in another few horses and had no place for her. At that point she was pretty much going to be given away to whoever wanted to take her (not always a good thing as we all know).

    I had been around this mare from the time she was adopted and I knew she was an absolute sweetheart, very sensible, and extremely smart. Basically, her temperament is the stuff that the most amazing horses are made out of. I didn't want to see that potential go to waste, so I took her in. I fattened her up a bit, polished off her groundwork, and shipped her off to saddle training. It's already paying off big time. She went on her first trail ride recently. After just one month of training she was happily trucking along in front, in the back, in the middle, and side by side with other horses. She trotted with the group without losing her cool, and another horse bit her on the bum and she just scooted forward a few steps. She saw a bicyclist, cars, loose dogs, and pedestrians... none of which bothered her. Now as her second month wraps up, she'll be going to her first show and with any luck she'll continue to knock our socks off.

    ((Oops, I got a little off topic, getting so carried away with bragging on our new girl. Hehe))
         
        03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Ignorance, particularly that resulting in serious injuries (to both horse and handler), ill-bred backyard babies, grossly overweight/underweight horses, the animal suffering from pain, and inadequate care and riding/training. Oh and of course lack of desire to acquire appropriate knowledge (surprisingly common).

    Horses should never have to suffer at the hands of stupid people.
         
        03-18-2013, 09:42 PM
      #25
    Weanling
    Probably the thing that grinds my gears the most (other than true abuse/neglect) is when horse people judge others, especially over stuff that doesn't matter. Get over it.

    And so I won't actually be following this thread. Just had to put it out there.
         
        03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
      #26
    Started
    Another one of mine is people riding horses WAY too young
         
        03-18-2013, 09:57 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horseychick94    
    Yes. I understand. This specific person though goes through over 20 horses PER YEAR. It is repetitive. And the horses are near PERFECT
    Personally I like those kinda people! From a trainer's perspective that's how we make our money! Clients that are always looking to sell and buy. Hello commission!

    I really feel you are trying to "humanize" horses too much. Horses don't rationalize like we do. They don't think "oh no! Im moving to a new home they must not have loved me ". Certainly a horse moving to a new location might stress them out especially if they have never moved around before. But they are not stressed because they feel unloved, its a natural instinct to get a little in a new environment.
         
        03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
      #28
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .Delete.    
    Personally I like those kinda people! From a trainer's perspective that's how we make our money! Clients that are always looking to sell and buy. Hello commission!

    I really feel you are trying to "humanize" horses too much. Horses don't rationalize like we do. They don't think "oh no! Im moving to a new home they must not have loved me ". Certainly a horse moving to a new location might stress them out especially if they have never moved around before. But they are not stressed because they feel unloved, its a natural instinct to get a little in a new environment.
    This person doesn't train though. She brings them in and a boarder of hers (terrible rider) who doesnt even know how to train properly plays with them and then slaps a for sale sign on em. Its better in my opinion to humanize a horse than just treat them like a machine
         
        03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
      #29
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horseychick94    
    This person doesn't train though. She brings them in and a boarder of hers (terrible rider) who doesnt even know how to train properly plays with them and then slaps a for sale sign on em. Its better in my opinion to humanize a horse than just treat them like a machine
    Aslong as she takes care of them properly I see no problem in what she is doing at all. People tend to forget horses are at the end of the day livestock. To most people they are pets. But to some people, such as myself, they are a business. They do not think like us, therefore we should not compare them to us. Humanizing horses can lead to alot of problems, especially with people who have a horse they cannot handle.
         
        03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
      #30
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .Delete.    
    Aslong as she takes care of them properly I see no problem in what she is doing at all. People tend to forget horses are at the end of the day livestock. To most people they are pets. But to some people, such as myself, they are a business. They do not think like us, therefore we should not compare them to us. Humanizing horses can lead to alot of problems, especially with people who have a horse they cannot handle.
    Not totally. She uses the one size fits all approach to every horse that comes in. Equipment that doesn't fit and shouldn't be used on certain horses.The horses are started way young and are bred to inferior stallions. Ridden in inappropriate equipment. Jumped over unsafe jumps sometimes at a standstill. Their feet are done by her or her boarder (neither have any certification whatsoever). Same diet for all horses. Some fed extremely inconsistently. Nasty dusty molded round bales are free fed and some of the horses cough so bad that they pee. Manes and tails are never combed and turn into manure laden dreadlocks. Need I say more?
         

    Tags
    pet peeves, rant, vent, venting, welfare

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What grinds YOUR gears? Horseychick94 Horse Talk 302 01-24-2012 01:21 PM
    Too many gears... first time working a gaited horse - help! brackenrose Horse Training 1 03-04-2008 11:56 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0