What grinds YOUR gears? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 473Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 192 Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,522
• Horses: 5
IMO Horses don't think like us... they think BETTER than us....Horses are peaceful,smart, and wise minded. if not it is usually because it has been ruined by a HUMAN!
NinitheNinja likes this.

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 192 Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,406
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94 View Post
IMO Horses don't think like us... they think BETTER than us....Horses are peaceful,smart, and wise minded. if not it is usually because it has been ruined by a HUMAN!
Horses work of pure basic instinct. Thats why they are so simple and "peaceful" as you say. They don't have the rational ability to complicate things. They don't have emotions like we do. That doesn't make them better than us.

Rational is what separates the humans from the animals. A horse cannot look at a sunset and be mesmerized by beauty. They cannot empathize, sympathize, or understand love. They lack critical thinking, the ability for think for themselves. They are animals, and should be treated like one.
.Delete. is offline  
post #33 of 192 Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 375
• Horses: 1
People who try to give you all kinds of advice on how to work with your horse, but their own horse is a hot mess. Especially when their horse is a perfectly bred, professionally trained, meticulously groomed "performance horse" and yours is nothing but a lowly, screwed up OTTB that isn't fit for any kind of competitive riding. True story. Someone seriously went there.



The first time I saw that picture, I about pee'd myself. You see, last summer, I was riding with some other boarders at my old barn and this one particular person was having a rough go of it with her precious Hanoverian. He was very tall, very muscular, and very handsome to look at. Too bad he was THE biggest brat face I have ever been around. He didn't want to come in to the barn, he didn't want to stand to be groomed, he didn't want to stand to be saddled (in fact, he pretended to spook in order to throw his saddle off), he didn't want to be mounted, he didn't want to walk slowly... he pretty much didn't want to do anything. However, during the entire ride, his owner was paying more attention to what we were doing, how we were doing it, and offering as much unwanted advice as she possible could in between her screeches and rein yanking with her own beast.

Meanwhile, me and my friend were plodding around happily on our well behaved, easy going yet completely ghastly OTTBs...


"A rider who would trade partnership for obedience
will have to settle for neither."
QuietHeartHorses is offline  
post #34 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,522
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Delete. View Post
Horses work of pure basic instinct. Thats why they are so simple and "peaceful" as you say. They don't have the rational ability to complicate things. They don't have emotions like we do. That doesn't make them better than us.

Rational is what separates the humans from the animals. A horse cannot look at a sunset and be mesmerized by beauty. They cannot empathize, sympathize, or understand love. They lack critical thinking, the ability for think for themselves. They are animals, and should be treated like one.
Well i disagree. And thats fine. You disagree with me and I with you but I will say this. If loving my horses and treating them with as much dignity, respect, love, and sympathy I would like to receive if I were a horse and also feeling that my horses love me, are happy, and would never want to be yo-yo'ed from home to home is wrong, I don't ever want to be right. My horses are treated, loved, cared for, and are respected like family. I believe they are some of the happiest, healthiest, and most fortunate horses in the world because of that. There are things I have seen in my horses that shows they have a soul, intelligence, and emotion that surpasses mere instinct. I have a horse that came to me fresh off the track, burnt out, emaciated, and just DONE. When I first met him on my front lawn he pretty much THREW himself into my arms and I just held him. In my mind, he KNEW he was going to be happy, loved, and was going to get better in his new forever home. Now maybe I don't know jack $hit about horses but at least I care about them...even if it is too much.

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #35 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,522
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietHeartHorses View Post
People who try to give you all kinds of advice on how to work with your horse, but their own horse is a hot mess. Especially when their horse is a perfectly bred, professionally trained, meticulously groomed "performance horse" and yours is nothing but a lowly, screwed up OTTB that isn't fit for any kind of competitive riding. True story. Someone seriously went there.



The first time I saw that picture, I about pee'd myself. You see, last summer, I was riding with some other boarders at my old barn and this one particular person was having a rough go of it with her precious Hanoverian. He was very tall, very muscular, and very handsome to look at. Too bad he was THE biggest brat face I have ever been around. He didn't want to come in to the barn, he didn't want to stand to be groomed, he didn't want to stand to be saddled (in fact, he pretended to spook in order to throw his saddle off), he didn't want to be mounted, he didn't want to walk slowly... he pretty much didn't want to do anything. However, during the entire ride, his owner was paying more attention to what we were doing, how we were doing it, and offering as much unwanted advice as she possible could in between her screeches and rein yanking with her own beast.

Meanwhile, me and my friend were plodding around happily on our well behaved, easy going yet completely ghastly OTTBs...

Hahahaha! I love this! Reminds me of a "friend" of mine who looked down on my horse because he was an off track STB pacer. She would brag up her horse and all her fancypants achievements and equipment. Yet her horse goes plodding around on the forehand and my horse looks spectacular without any professional training and never seen a show ring!

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #36 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94 View Post
Horses are living breathing thinking and feeling animals. Of COURSE they care. The difference is, training a horse and bettering it and making it more suitable so someone will be more apt to KEEP it instead of just buying a horse to play around with for nothing but your own selfish gain and then throwing it away when you get bored. Not fair to the horse. But people like you who think horses are mere livestock and that they have no feelings and that the only thing keeping them satisfied is food shouldn't HAVE horses.
Are you kidding?
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #37 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,314
• Horses: 0
Its personal choice. I have horses that will die here. I have sold some horses in the past. I can hpe that they were treated well. I tried to find a few of them to see how they were doing, and wanted to get two back. Never found the ones I wanted back. Know of two that are doing great, dont know what happened to the others. I have two now, that had the past owners been honest and decent with me , the horses would be back with them. I have a couple that if I had the extra thousand dollars I would have them put down .
It would be unfair to give the horses away to both the horse and whomever got sucked into taking them.
Horseychick94 likes this.
stevenson is offline  
post #38 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94 View Post
Not totally. She uses the one size fits all approach to every horse that comes in. Equipment that doesn't fit and shouldn't be used on certain horses.The horses are started way young and are bred to inferior stallions. Ridden in inappropriate equipment. Jumped over unsafe jumps sometimes at a standstill. Their feet are done by her or her boarder (neither have any certification whatsoever). Same diet for all horses. Some fed extremely inconsistently. Nasty dusty molded round bales are free fed and some of the horses cough so bad that they pee. Manes and tails are never combed and turn into manure laden dreadlocks. Need I say more?
Well if she's that bad, then, you should be pleased she's getting rid of them rather than have them there 'suffering'........what is it? Stay or go?
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #39 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,522
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Are you kidding?
No I'm not. Horses deserve to be treated with as much love and respect as humans

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
post #40 of 192 Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermon,Maine
Posts: 1,522
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Well if she's that bad, then, you should be pleased she's getting rid of them rather than have them there 'suffering'........what is it? Stay or go?
Happy she is getting rid of them yes. But angry that she just goes and buys more.

<3 Harley James <3
Horseychick94 is offline  
Reply

Tags
pet peeves , rant , vent , venting , welfare

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What grinds YOUR gears? Horseychick94 Horse Talk 302 01-24-2012 01:21 PM
Too many gears... first time working a gaited horse - help! brackenrose Horse Training 1 03-04-2008 11:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome