(I know that the horse world is a small community, and I do know there are other IN/KY members here, so you may or may not know the other party involved and, if so, please know that I am presenting the facts as I know them, am not interested in any arguments, fighting, etc and am not at all involved in the dealings regarding this horse and the owner-s)
On Friday my daughter (15) went to ride with a neighbor girl. DD's horse had been being a real pill the night before, so I was not comfortable with the girls heading out with her, so it was decided they would take two of the horses from the other girl's bunch. They have been making payments on a group of three mares - and had a gelding already - so actual ownership is murky waters, which does come into play
They were riding on the trails behind the other family's property, where we all ride quite frequently. Everything was going well, and they decided to have a bit of a canter across an area we often use for just that. At some point, DD's mount stumbled and immediately pulled up with an obvious problem (vs just recovering and moving on), so DD dismounted and immediately saw that the front leg had broken. She unsaddled the mare and sent the other girl back to the house to get help.
They were able to get our trailer back to the horse using a tractor and were able to load her, but it became clear within just a short distance that she was not going to make the ride out to the road, let alone to a clinic. To keep her from going down in the trailer-in our little trailer she'd have been hoplessly stuck and become even more injured - we unloaded her and she went down. (I got there just as they had pulled up when she started to go down in the trailer)
We were able to keep her calm and did what we could to minimize the unpleasantness. Their vet was stuck in surgery and was going to be some time in arriving. (sanitized version from here) I was in the process of calling our vet when the other party(person horses being purchased from) arrived on scene. Things got a bit wonky, there was a disagreement over how to proceed - the horse became panicked and ended up further injuring the leg (it became a compound fracture) which is also when my safety became seriously endangered - and the situation was quickly escalating. The decision was made not to wait for the vet (the change in the injury made that necessary regardless). The horse was put down.
That is the short of it..............
DD is absolutely beside herself still. Although she was spared the last bit (we had forced the girls to start towards the house before things went really bad, however when I left the scene I was not something that they should have seen and they did, which was in and of itself traumatizing) she is really dealing with some stuff. We're taking it a day at a time at this point. The neighbors have been wonderful with DD, very supportive, and not assigning blame in the slightest--the other owner was less so, which I am chalking up to extreme emotional distress and lack of clear thinking because things that were said should not have been said to an adult, let alone a distraught child. I had never met her before this day and I would like to think that the person I saw is not the person she truly is - I know how emotions run high in situations such as this.
Again, THANK YOU to all of you. Even though I didn't say much when I initially posted I knew that this was someplace I could turn for the support I needed in that moment - and that it would come from those who would truly "get it".