What size saddle for you? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What size saddle for you?

This is a discussion on What size saddle for you? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • 15 western saddle 140lbs
  • My saddle is a bit narrow for me

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-02-2012, 02:42 PM
  #11
Trained
Kootenay, off topic but is that the name of your horse in your avatar? AQHA? And if so, did he come from Alberta?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSArabians    
Kootenay, off topic but is that the name of your horse in your avatar? AQHA? And if so, did he come from Alberta?
Her name is Tory (originally "Timely Rain Dance"). She's an appendix (techinically grade)
No, she's from BC (Melderman Stables), although I think her breeders moved to AB though.
     
    09-02-2012, 02:53 PM
  #13
Trained
Just a note, saddle seat size has just as much to do with length of leg as it does with size of your actual seat. Someone with short legs will need a smaller saddle, someone with long legs will need a bit bigger saddle.

I like a 17" or 17.5" english saddle, and I am 5'6 and ~150lbs. No idea what my western seat size is but you are supposed to subtract 2" when going english to western, so I would assume I need a 15 or 15.5" western.

Do you have a local tack or tack consignment shop? They usually have saddle stands you can put a saddle on and sit in, it will probably be your best bet in finding a saddle that fits you.
Kootenay likes this.
     
    09-02-2012, 02:55 PM
  #14
Weanling
I am 5.3" and weigh 140 lbs. I ride in a 15"' endurance saddle. It is comfortable, but I bought it used (stole it actually LOL) and I never tried a 16". I would like to see how one fits.
     
    09-02-2012, 02:56 PM
  #15
Trained
I'm 5'8", 175. I use a 16" Circle Y and a 17 or 18" English or Australian...doesn't matter a lot. The width of the twist and how my legs hang tends to matter more to me. Also, some western saddles have a taller and steeper cantle, and that affects my feeling. If in doubt, I like my saddles to have a bit of extra room and a level seat:

     
    09-02-2012, 02:57 PM
  #16
Trained
You might also want to consider the shape of the seat, how deep it is, the angle of the forks and the height of the cantle and dish. Those little things can really change how a saddle feels, in my opinion.

When I ordered my saddle a couple of years ago I only weighed 105, 5'9". I was working more than I was eating then. Now its the other way around! LOL. Since moving I have gained 30 lbs and my saddle is a little tight withe bucking rolls on it! LOL.
I ride my other saddle, 15.5 with no bucking rolls, more now. It has a little flatter seat and gives me more room to move around.
     
    09-02-2012, 03:28 PM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccil0ve    
Just a note, saddle seat size has just as much to do with length of leg as it does with size of your actual seat. Someone with short legs will need a smaller saddle, someone with long legs will need a bit bigger saddle.

I like a 17" or 17.5" english saddle, and I am 5'6 and ~150lbs. No idea what my western seat size is but you are supposed to subtract 2" when going english to western, so I would assume I need a 15 or 15.5" western.

Do you have a local tack or tack consignment shop? They usually have saddle stands you can put a saddle on and sit in, it will probably be your best bet in finding a saddle that fits you.
I just found one not too far from me. Though I think its safe to say that I'm not comfortable in a 15 inch since all the 15's I've been riding in have bruised my butt somehow.

When I went down to the store, the only thing they had were 15 inch westerns. I didn't sit in them since I already know how they fit on me. I'm hoping the one I just ordered will work with me a lot better than the 15's did.
     
    09-02-2012, 03:57 PM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead    
I just found one not too far from me. Though I think its safe to say that I'm not comfortable in a 15 inch since all the 15's I've been riding in have bruised my butt somehow.

When I went down to the store, the only thing they had were 15 inch westerns. I didn't sit in them since I already know how they fit on me. I'm hoping the one I just ordered will work with me a lot better than the 15's did.
Where on your butt? Is it where the bottom of the cantle meets the seat, on the edges where there ususally is a set of saddle strings?
If so, that is cantle bite, too much dish in the cantle or too wide of a cantle. It eats up your butt cheeks!
     
    09-02-2012, 04:29 PM
  #19
Yearling
This is a 15 inch saddle that fit a bit more comfortably, but it was too narrow for my horse, so I had to reluctantly let it go:



This is the 15 inch that killed my butt


It would literally kill my seatbones, especially the "start" of my seatbones right between the legs. I had bruises and swelling everytime I rode in it. It might have had something to do with the way the padding was worn down since I got it used, and the seat was padded. This first saddle was a hardseat.

I don't have any good pics of me riding in it, but here are a few:









I don't like posting pictures of myself riding. I've gotten into the habit of perching since my tailbone has been hurting, and it causes a lot of issues with my position...so be kind, please.

When I look at these photos, I tend to think that my butt is a little bigger than the saddle can fit comfortably.
     
    09-02-2012, 04:29 PM
  #20
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay    
Her name is Tory (originally "Timely Rain Dance"). She's an appendix (techinically grade)
No, she's from BC (Melderman Stables), although I think her breeders moved to AB though.

Ah, wrong sex. L
My sister sold an AQHA gding named Kootenay that looks JUST like her!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What size saddle do I need? katiebeth1118 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 07-28-2012 09:33 PM
trouble finding a saddle pad thats the right size for a 17 1/2 " saddle. WildAcreFarms Jumping 15 04-21-2011 02:32 AM
would it be a good idea?..saddle size and abetta saddle review Gidget Horse Tack and Equipment 13 06-22-2010 05:02 PM
What size western saddle is a good size? kmcole30 Horse Tack and Equipment 1 06-17-2010 02:37 AM
Girth Size....? and Saddle Size.....? BluMagic Horse Tack and Equipment 6 12-27-2007 10:51 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0