My rising six year old SSH can do a lot of things okay, but do very few things well.
The skills she does pretty well at include:
*Walk/Trot/Intermediate Gait/Gallop. (Notice "canter" is absent. Pony doesn't canter. Pony knows not slowness without breaking gait.)
* Backs. Girlfriend will back at the lightest touch of a rein in any sort of head gear. She can back circles, squares, L shapes. Bridleless, she backs when you wiggle your feet near her shoulders. As far as bridleless goes, she's perfect at the walk.
* Skillfully jumps (and over jumps) everything. Trees, shadows, dirt piles, ant mounts, hay bales, actual stadium jumps. She regularly clears the staggering height of 18 inches.
* Wins all the back pasture races. Speed of a TB, acceleration of a QH, and endurance of an Arab.
* Has a wonderful light mouth that makes me proud.
* Leg yields with the slightest cue.
* Round pens and lunges beautifully
* Has endurance like no other. This horse could go on forever. She uses her extra gait when she gets tired of trotting and trots when she gets tired of gaiting. Very efficient, appearently.
* Has nice ground manners. Ties, gets a bath, and is shod without problems. Great manners for grooming and saddling, though somewhat picky with her girth. She'll put her head down to be bridled by little kids. Easy to catch in the pasture. Absolutely no problems; she's an angel.
* Not testy AT ALL. Anyone can ride her and she will not take advantage.
* She's getting closer and closer to the perfect trail horse! A few thousand more miles and she'll be awesome.