What would you do?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • keeping weanling with older horses
  • Surrogate Mares Wanted

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-08-2011, 10:11 PM
  #1
Weanling
What would you do?

Just a hypothesis...

Having a mare that I am having trouble even giving away despite being well trained though older I was wondering just how difficult it would be to give away one of my non trained older broodmares.

So my question is... what would you do if you had a older (12 up), untrained mare that you really didn't think made a good broodmare in this current economy? This is based on the assumption that you can not afford to keep her.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
  #2
Green Broke
If you can find a good home then do so. It all depends on where you live an who you talk to. If I had no other options I'd put the horse down. But, it would be my very last option
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-08-2011, 10:24 PM
  #3
Banned
Which one is that you are wanting to give away?
     
    10-09-2011, 01:50 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Angels    
Which one is that you are wanting to give away?
Venus is the one.
     
    10-09-2011, 12:03 PM
  #5
Green Broke
My feelings are you brought the horse home, and it lived its life doing what you wanted, making foals or, or being a companion or whatever it was. I think you are now responsible and owe it a decent life and place to live. Just because she no longer meets your purposes is no reason to just kick her to the curb.
Your first horse you mentioned, was trained you used now that its old and probably not as rideable you just wanna pawn it off on someone to spend money on and care for in it's final years? You may wanna rethink if you should even be owning horses in the first place. Sorry if that sounds gruff but you don't come across as a very nice person that cares about their animals in your post.

You asked what would I do ? I have had old horses, and any horse I bring home I assume he will live out his days forever there or I don't bring him home. I always leave room for the old retired guy, and then my riding horse. Sooner or later my riding horse will become old retired guy, and old retired guy will die. But that's the way it is. I bring them home I am responsible.
     
    10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
My feelings are you brought the horse home, and it lived its life doing what you wanted, making foals or, or being a companion or whatever it was. I think you are now responsible and owe it a decent life and place to live. Just because she no longer meets your purposes is no reason to just kick her to the curb.
Your first horse you mentioned, was trained you used now that its old and probably not as rideable you just wanna pawn it off on someone to spend money on and care for in it's final years? You may wanna rethink if you should even be owning horses in the first place. Sorry if that sounds gruff but you don't come across as a very nice person that cares about their animals in your post.

You asked what would I do ? I have had old horses, and any horse I bring home I assume he will live out his days forever there or I don't bring him home. I always leave room for the old retired guy, and then my riding horse. Sooner or later my riding horse will become old retired guy, and old retired guy will die. But that's the way it is. I bring them home I am responsible.

I am giving away a horse yes. I got her last fall in a trade. I thought I'd be able to ride more but with the other horses, foals, and college I find my time limited. So, instead of having her sitting in the pasture since she is a sound and well trained horse that someone else could enjoy and improve their riding skills I decided to find her a new home. I was trying to sell her but then decided in this economy I might as well as give her away... with references from buyer. I take care of 11 horses, one mini donkey, two mini goats, three rescue dogs, three rescue cats, and a few pain in the butt guineas. Giving away a horse I do not need will ensure that I have the space and income for the animals I do have. Currently, I have two horses who do have lifetime homes with me.

PS... if no one sold their horses how would you buy them?
NorthernMama and LauraRose like this.
     
    10-09-2011, 12:40 PM
  #7
Foal
Believe me, even if she doesn't sound like it in the original post, Crossover does care about her horses. I met her when I went to test ride Venus (who is a great mare, by the way; I fully intended on trying her a second time until I clicked with Bliss and bought her instead). Crossover is not just giving Venus away because she's less useful or whatever. She bought Venus with good intentions and just found that she doesn't have time for her... it happens to the best of us. But if there was anything I could tell from spending a couple hours at her farm, it's that her horses are LOVED.

Just coming to her defense here. ^.^' For the record, I also believe that when you buy a horse, it's for forever, but if you can't give them the treatment they deserve, then what are you supposed to do?

Out of curiosity, Crossover, which broodmare are you talking about?
     
    10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillree    
Believe me, even if she doesn't sound like it in the original post, Crossover does care about her horses. I met her when I went to test ride Venus (who is a great mare, by the way; I fully intended on trying her a second time until I clicked with Bliss and bought her instead). Crossover is not just giving Venus away because she's less useful or whatever. She bought Venus with good intentions and just found that she doesn't have time for her... it happens to the best of us. But if there was anything I could tell from spending a couple hours at her farm, it's that her horses are LOVED.

Just coming to her defense here. ^.^' For the record, I also believe that when you buy a horse, it's for forever, but if you can't give them the treatment they deserve, then what are you supposed to do?

Out of curiosity, Crossover, which broodmare are you talking about?
Thank you for the support .
I actually just threw the question out as a hypothesis. Just wanted a discussion on the possibilities in this rough economy. Right now Venus is the only one I'm trying to place. Of course I expect it to be a little easier now that she no longer looks like a rescue . PS... Bliss is a cutey and glad you found a good mare.
     
    10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
  #9
Banned
One possibility no one thinks about is offering her as a surrogate mare. If she is a proven broodmare there still are stallion owners that will know about mare owners that have very expensive mares they want a foal from but are too valuable to be taken out of their performance career. They may also like to get two foals by using a surrogate for one foal and their own mare for a second foal.

Just a thought.
     
    10-17-2011, 10:21 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Untrained broodmare? I'd make her a trained broodmare.
kevinshorses and Golden Horse like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0