What would you offer? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What would you offer?

This is a discussion on What would you offer? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-10-2012, 10:44 AM
      #11
    Showing
    Depending on area. In mine $500 would be max since she's a small size and unbroke.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Around here, I wouldn't give more than 300-500 for her. A guy we know has a nice 3 year old gelding, reg. QH, buttermilk dun that's had groundwork for sale. He's asking 250 and isn't getting too many takers on him.
         
        07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    If she's not willing for 500 I'd walk away. She's probably is not going to grow out of the pony size and if she's unhandled and unbroken she's probably not going to sell for remotely close to 900 or even 800, at least around where I am. If the owner hasn't put any work into this horse there's no reason for her to get paid like she has. My opinion of course.
         
        07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Around here she would be lucky to get anything from her.. Probably 300 max.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-10-2012, 04:18 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    A horse is only worth what someone will pay for it. If you don't think it's a fair price then don't buy her, there's other deals out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    themacpack and DimSum like this.
         
        07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    It's also worth considering that if the prices in your area are low (as demonstrated by no one picking her up) then her selling price will also be low. If you pay too much now, after all your training/care you'll be making a huge loss. This is okay when people ride as pleasure, but as you are purchasing her with the intent to sell on it might not be such a good idea.

    I can't advise you on price as prices are very different here, but if you're unsure over a few hundred dollars I'd pass on her.
         
        07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
      #17
    Weanling
    I know that around here the market didn't fall as bad as in some areas. Granted, it's still bad, but paying thousands for horses around here is not unheard of, especially if you buy and sell privately.

    Given what I know of our local market, people will pay stupid amounts for colour like her. Friends of ours had people driving by call and offer to buy their day-old palomino filly just because they saw her in the field. I am almost positive I would be able to easily resell her - unless of course she died unexpectedly or something else happened to reduce her value - but there is always that possibility (as with every business investment) that I would lose money.

    I feel pretty confident that if I got her decently broke and waited 'til next spring I could turn her for $1500 or more, but I'm just nervous because A) $800 is a pretty big initial investment for what she is and B) there is, as I said before, always the possibility I would lose the money.

    I am really torn. I want to buy her - even if it means paying $800, but the only thing holding me back is the 'what if?' What if I don't make the money back? What if she turns out to have something wrong with her and I just lost almost a thousand bucks? What if something ridiculous happens like she falls getting off the trailer and breaks a leg and has to be put down, or colics and dies the day after she gets home. Not that I expect those things to happen, but those are the types of things I'm asking. Is it worth it? Is she a worthy business investment?

    These aren't the greatest pictures for confirmation, but here are a couple of her (just to show you how cute she is).
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 376873_10150902826835780_1195909672_n.jpg (74.1 KB, 28 views)
    File Type: jpg 577149_10150902843840780_1529835296_n.jpg (63.5 KB, 27 views)
         
        07-10-2012, 09:53 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    You said she's registered, do you know her breeding? That's one of my factors to look at with a prospect you plan to resale
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-10-2012, 09:55 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Hancock breeding, not sure if that's of any individual significance. I'm not sure who the sire or dam are but I will ask right now...her registered name was...something 'Hancock Bar'. I believe the BO said she's pleasure bred? Would have to double check though; give me a few minutes.
         
        07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Her name is NLD Hancock Bar, her AQHA number is 5218247
    Sire is NLD Special Hancock (#3977420)
    Dam is Martin's Cute Bar (possibly, not sure if that was a typo over the text message (#3844282)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I just got a job offer! Rachel1786 General Off Topic Discussion 3 06-15-2012 02:19 PM
    What would you offer??? FoxRidgeRanch Horse Trailers 32 10-28-2011 07:52 PM
    How much would you offer Ohhkierst Horses for Sale 2 07-14-2011 04:53 PM
    Job offer, what do you think? Lucara Horse Talk 9 02-13-2009 02:50 PM
    Trade Offer farmpony84 Horse Riding Critique 11 08-11-2008 12:20 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0