What would you pay for this mare? And advice about how to make an offer? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What would you pay for this mare? And advice about how to make an offer?

This is a discussion on What would you pay for this mare? And advice about how to make an offer? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-21-2010, 03:00 PM
      #21
    Weanling
    Did someone report speed's post or did it just burn up in a plume of flames? I had just read that. Wow.
    In case she's reading this...She might like to know I paid for a gray geld off a nevada feedlot last month so he wouldnt go to Canada. It will be a couple months before I can bring him home, as he's now at a rescue in CA..But I have every intention of bringing him here. Oh...did I mention he's gray?
    Also..I've had an Arab before. She was a flea bitten gray.
    I didn't say I wouldn't buy another gray horse, just that if I had my options on two horses that were exactly alike in every respect, price, location, etc etc, I would choose the horse that wasn't gray just because I'm biased that way.
    I WANT an arab again because there's a spark and intellect there that I've never seen in other breeds. I understand alot of them are smarter than their owners, but I think with daily riding (which is what I need) there shouldn't be any worries of her getting bored and spoiled.
    And this horse had a pretty mellow attitude, especially for an arab. Which is a huge plus in her favor.
    And HorseofColor, thanks for all the rescue links. And thanks for coming to bat for me there :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-21-2010, 03:08 PM
      #22
    Yearling
    Just trying to keep the forum as helpful and friendly as I can. (:
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
      #23
    Yearling
    Poultrygirl, I think it's a buyer's market for horses, and making a serious offer of $500-600 is not an insult. If I were your 'seller', assuming they really do want a good home for this mare, I would be very interested in you as a buyer if you told me things about yourself that we've learned here on HF...that you are a responsible horse owner, you're not impulsive, you know what you want and this mare has the potential but isn't quite there yet, you're a college student on a SERIOUS budget, (but future earnings potential for a stable financial future), that you know that the purchase price is just one of the expenses and you will be spending money on vet, board and training...and you'll be riding this girl every day and she'll be well cared for. Those are the types of homes that we dream of for our horses.

    If she's insulted by your offer, you can always come up a little bit as long as it's in your budget. I think that the seller should know that she can't get top dollar for a horse that has not been used for 2 years and needs refreshing and getting in physical shape. So, if she's emotional about this horse (and some sellers are, and you have to deal with that) she might not want to come down in her price to meet your offer. She is facing another winter of feed prices and vet bills for this mare, though, which gives you an advantage.

    If it's meant to be, it will all work out for you! Keep us posted, and good luck!

    PS - have to smile at your comment about "spark of intellect". I bought my 11 year old TWH mare because she met most of my criteria, but she wasn't a gelding, wasn't a bay or chestnut, wasn't a foxtrotter, and wasn't a real pocket-pony people-pleaser type of horse. She also didn't have that obvous spark of intellect...but she has outsmarted me more times than I care to admit! Ha Ha! And, as I've said before, we're having a blast and she's turning out to be the perfect choice, 2 long years of bonding later. Anyway, I am laughing as I say this, so don't take offense - but make sure that spark of intellect isn't bigger than yours!
         
        12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poultrygirl    
    Did someone report speed's post or did it just burn up in a plume of flames? I had just read that. Wow.
    In case she's reading this...She might like to know I paid for a gray geld off a nevada feedlot last month so he wouldnt go to Canada. It will be a couple months before I can bring him home, as he's now at a rescue in CA..But I have every intention of bringing him here. Oh...did I mention he's gray?
    Also..I've had an Arab before. She was a flea bitten gray.
    I didn't say I wouldn't buy another gray horse, just that if I had my options on two horses that were exactly alike in every respect, price, location, etc etc, I would choose the horse that wasn't gray just because I'm biased that way.
    I WANT an arab again because there's a spark and intellect there that I've never seen in other breeds. I understand alot of them are smarter than their owners, but I think with daily riding (which is what I need) there shouldn't be any worries of her getting bored and spoiled.
    And this horse had a pretty mellow attitude, especially for an arab. Which is a huge plus in her favor.
    And HorseofColor, thanks for all the rescue links. And thanks for coming to bat for me there :)
    I wasn't attacking you, I apologize if it came off that way. Thanks for explaining why you love Arabs. I was just genuinely curious.

    I personally have a love of Thoroughbreds because of their intelligence, silliness, structure, and their nature to bond intensely with their human.
         
        12-21-2010, 03:35 PM
      #25
    Green Broke
    With your financial situation you have no business getting a horse that far away. I also think with your experience an Arab may not be the best choice but that is your business. If you have an arab that you are getting in a month why are you not waiting for that one and buying another one too. I would not be buying a horse with out seeing it 1st either.
         
        12-21-2010, 03:46 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Poultrygirl, you're planning on seeing this horse before you close the deal, right? I do think you should see this horse before you buy her....for your own protection! I know it's a long trip but it will be worse trying to sell a horse that you can't use....

    I sold a horse to a lady a few years ago who brought her trailer from 6-8 hours away, one way, spent the night in an area hotel, and spent 2 days here with the horse, including a trail ride, before she closed the deal. I was okay with that because I wanted the horse to have a good home and wanted her to be happy with him. Definitely encourage you to not buy the horse without seeing her first.
         
        12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
      #27
    Weanling
    I saw her a few weeks ago and rode her. My dad took me up there. It was his christmas gift to me--taking me that far to see horse. He has plane...and it was alot faster than the 8+ hour drive!
    Wellll..I just emailed the lady an offer of $675. Well see what happens. Thanks for the encouragement ladytrails. Here's to fingers crossed!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-21-2010, 04:11 PM
      #28
    Foal
    I don't know were you live or how far your willing to go (location) to get a horsebut there are some ood horses for sale in waller, hempstead, bellville, and areas around here.
         
        12-21-2010, 04:17 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    And I already got a reply:
    "no.....the 1500 is more than reasonable.......won't your parents give her to you for a Christmas present?* I have lots of medical bills right now.....$10,000 and I need to buy* hay......990"


    What to do now? I feel like I got some wind taken out of my sails. I can buy a 6 year old here (30mins away for a thousand but she needs some retraining.) who's got Aladdinn lines. Should I just say no and cancel the PPE?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-21-2010, 04:24 PM
      #30
    Banned
    Why would you schedule a PPE before agreeing on a price with the seller?

    I think your offer was insulting. The woman wants $1,500 and you gave her an offer for less than half. 85% she might have agreed upon, but you've now grievously insulted her horse as well as her intelligence.

    If you've already scheduled the vet, you may also have to pay his/her fee even if they don't do the PPE. Their time is valuable; wasting it is probably going to cost you.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Sassy, $350 or make offer Paint Mare FoxRidgeRanch Horses for Sale 10 10-09-2009 11:48 PM
    Arab/Saddlebred mare for sale in IA/MN...make an offer, anything considered. Seattle Horses for Sale 1 08-25-2009 05:22 PM
    Arab/Saddlebred mare for sale in IA/MN...make an offer, anything considered. Seattle Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 08-21-2009 11:17 PM
    Race Bred mare for Sale, Make an Offer! valleychick2121 Horses for Sale 5 09-20-2008 05:47 PM
    9yr old QH mare-make an offer HrsGrl323 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 8 01-25-2008 11:20 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0