What is wrong with my farrier!? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What is wrong with my farrier!?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with my farrier!? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree64Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-24-2012, 02:38 PM
      #31
    Foal
    Rasp to face is not okay. Find a new farrier.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
      #32
    Yearling
    I am currently working on correcting his behavior, but the point was I told him to wait, so for him not following directions that was his mistake. If your going to go under a 1000+ lb animal when I specifically told him to wait for that reason, that's HIS FAULT not mine nor the horses. There is no visible wound, but his face is tender and when I put a halter on him he is tilting his head to the right like he is trying to get the pressure of the halter off of that area. I wanted to start him on a hackamore, but that's going to have to be put on hold now. I agree with the elbow in the face etc when biting/nipping, but hitting your horse with objects like that isn't cool. It would be a tad different if I had not given him specific directions to wait and told him why he needs to wait. I would have had him all tied up and ready, but he showed up a little earlier than expected so I wasn't all prepared.
         
        04-24-2012, 06:55 PM
      #33
    Trained
    So you were going to PAY him for the extra time he had to wait? Was he early? If he was early, I can understand. If he was on time-sorry, you should have been ready. To ask him to wait is rude, IMO. Time is $$. Perhaps you could have ASKED him to wait, and waited to get a response? It does sound like he may have hit the horse a bit hard, but your anger is misdirected, IMO. The issue is just as much YOU as it is him. The horse needs training, and you should have been prepared if you even thought there would be an issue. Period. Quit whining and good luck getting a new farrier. Hopefully you can muster more of a "lets work together" attitude, instead of the "you work for me and will do what I say" attitude. It will get you a lot farther. Yes, you pay him, but he does NOT have to be there, and has been stated, it is not an easy job.
         
        04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
      #34
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
    I'll bend over and bang on their hooves with the back of a hoof pick, I'll wiggle my butt at their face,
         
        04-24-2012, 10:33 PM
      #35
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redape49    
    I am currently working on correcting his behavior, but the point was I told him to wait, so for him not following directions that was his mistake. If your going to go under a 1000+ lb animal when I specifically told him to wait for that reason, that's HIS FAULT not mine nor the horses. There is no visible wound, but his face is tender and when I put a halter on him he is tilting his head to the right like he is trying to get the pressure of the halter off of that area. I wanted to start him on a hackamore, but that's going to have to be put on hold now. I agree with the elbow in the face etc when biting/nipping, but hitting your horse with objects like that isn't cool. It would be a tad different if I had not given him specific directions to wait and told him why he needs to wait. I would have had him all tied up and ready, but he showed up a little earlier than expected so I wasn't all prepared.
    I think you might be misunderstanding. Your $30 an hour isn't much, especially when that has to pay for his off work injury time.

    How do you have any idea what his schedule is for the day? Let's say I am super nice and you are in the right - you want to ride, you can see where he arrives from where you are riding, you can be back there in a few minutes - well then you should have set up the hay net on your time not his.

    It's your issue that your horse bites, and I suspect we will see more posts from you about finding a farrier when the next one has a reaction WITH YOU before leaving. Will you pay his two weeks earnings when he can't work because your horse needed a hay net?
    Purlease!!!!! Train your horse and stop blaming everyone else. Will it next be a child who should not have walked up to your horse because your horse needed x y z before having any manners?
    Ripper likes this.
         
        04-24-2012, 10:59 PM
      #36
    Started
    If you would like your horse to have a bag of hay to munch on, then that's your choice. However, you should have already had it in place. I try to respect my farrier by being on time and having my horses ready. You would do well to remember that good farriers are hard to find.
    GhostwindAppaloosa likes this.
         
        04-24-2012, 11:09 PM
      #37
    Trained
    I have been to a couple of clinics in my time and when a horse bites it is being aggressive. Several clinicians have stated that it is ok to strike a horse when he bites. It must be done immediately and for a very few seconds.
    If your horse has no visible injury the guy did not strike him with full force.
    I'm not saying it might not have looked like he did. Instintively I think most of us would have reacted the same way. Shalom
         
        04-25-2012, 12:21 AM
      #38
    Yearling
    How do you discipline him when he tries to bite the farrier? I am sure this isn't the first time it happened.....
         
        04-25-2012, 02:24 AM
      #39
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franknbeans    
    So you were going to PAY him for the extra time he had to wait? Was he early? If he was early, I can understand. If he was on time-sorry, you should have been ready. To ask him to wait is rude, IMO. Time is $$. Perhaps you could have ASKED him to wait, and waited to get a response? It does sound like he may have hit the horse a bit hard, but your anger is misdirected, IMO. The issue is just as much YOU as it is him. The horse needs training, and you should have been prepared if you even thought there would be an issue. Period. Quit whining and good luck getting a new farrier. Hopefully you can muster more of a "lets work together" attitude, instead of the "you work for me and will do what I say" attitude. It will get you a lot farther. Yes, you pay him, but he does NOT have to be there, and has been stated, it is not an easy job.
    I said in my last post he was early that's why I didn't have everything ready. Frankly I don't like your attitude. I'm not whining I was in shock and needed to rant, so if you don't like what I have to say keep your nasty thoughts to yourself and read the whole post before you open your mouth as I clearly stated that HE WAS EARLY.
         
        04-25-2012, 02:26 AM
      #40
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexS    
    I think you might be misunderstanding. Your $30 an hour isn't much, especially when that has to pay for his off work injury time.

    How do you have any idea what his schedule is for the day? Let's say I am super nice and you are in the right - you want to ride, you can see where he arrives from where you are riding, you can be back there in a few minutes - well then you should have set up the hay net on your time not his.

    It's your issue that your horse bites, and I suspect we will see more posts from you about finding a farrier when the next one has a reaction WITH YOU before leaving. Will you pay his two weeks earnings when he can't work because your horse needed a hay net?
    Purlease!!!!! Train your horse and stop blaming everyone else. Will it next be a child who should not have walked up to your horse because your horse needed x y z before having any manners?
    I am in the process of training him. Thank you though. I don't give a **** what his schedule was, he came 30 minutes earlier that he was supposed to.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What do you like in a farrier? GreyRay Horse Talk 25 03-14-2012 12:26 PM
    new farrier. how did he do?? lilkitty90 Horse Health 15 10-03-2011 09:08 AM
    mad at the farrier, should I be? rottenweiler Horse Health 23 06-01-2010 01:18 PM
    what does your farrier do... charliBum Horse Health 8 09-03-2009 10:55 AM
    Farrier. White Foot Horse Health 44 06-22-2009 11:27 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0