What is wrong with my farrier!? - Page 6
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

What is wrong with my farrier!?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with my farrier!? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Alex holding farrier

Like Tree64Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
  #51
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
I totally disagree that a hit in the face will make a horse head shy if it is timed correctly for something like biting.

Why should your farrier hang around whilst you get a hay net? Time is money. You should
A) Train your horse not to bite.
B) Be ready and waiting for your farrier, not him have to wait for you
C) Stop being so soft with your ill mannered pampered horse that obviously has few manners.

I trust my farrier implicitly - if he whacks one of my horses then I know it is for a reason. Correction should be done instantly and by anyone who is handling the horse - not just the owner.
Do you people not read all my posts. HE SHOWED UP 30 MIN EARLY.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
  #52
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
I am not too crazy about your attitude either, but this IS a forum, and we ARE allowed to disagree. Yes, you are allowed to rant, but, when you rant here, you may just find that not everyone thinks that you are in the right. OK-so I missed that he was 30 minutes early. Did you ASK him to wait? Or was your attitude similar that the one we are seeing and TELL him? How you say it is everything. Bottom line is.... and I don't seem to be the only one who thinks this........you need to discipline your horse. PERIOD. Horses should not need a hay net to get their feet done. I have never even heard of such a thing. HOLD YOUR HORSE and this won't happen.

I agree totally with Alex-I have the feeling we will see more "rants" as you go through every farrier in the yellow pages. Unless you start taking responsibility for your horses bad behavior.
Yes I kindly told him to wait and no I gave him no attitude because he didn't give me one. I am in the process of training him so I don't see what everyone is ate up about... either way if I would have told him to wait because I need to hold my horse or wait to get a hay net the SAME thing would have happened because he ignored my warnings.
     
    04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  #53
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson    
Im new here but Im in total agreement with Redape. The farrier should not have done such a thing. I shod horses for 5 years and have been barefoot trimming for 7 years. I also have apprenticed with a farrier and have seen many horses get hit by farriers. Besides the fact that redape asked the farrier to wait, no one knows what happened. So how can anyone say "you should train your horse?". Did the horse just reach down and chomp the farrier, or was the horse sniffing, wiggling his nose and then decided to take a taste? I find that to happen often if Im working on a horse not being held by the owner. First the horse starts to sniff and I normally just use my elbows to push them away before the horse wants to taste me or pick me up by the back of my chaps. And as for a hay bag, I am more than happy to have the owner give the horse a hay bag. When Im there for feet, its not training time to "make them stand still". If a hay bag makes my job easier then Im all for it. As long as whatever we are doing is keeping us safe and I can go on to my next client without pain, then why not? The people who call me are usually people who's horse has had some behavior issues with the farrier and the farrier hit them with tools or punched them repeatedly. Of course its important to me that the horses are ready and I appreciate it when Im told ahead of time if a horse is a behavior problem, although I usually find that out pretty darn quick. I also do not believe in farriers losing thier temper. If they feel they will, walk out of the barn and take a breather. If I hit a horse its with my hand and I normally discuss it with the owner prior and let them know the horse is behaving badly and I may smack them. I correct quickly, the horse knows they are not being beat, they don't panic and no one gets hurt. As some one mentioned, we are all entitled to our opinions and we have plenty of them. Redape, Im with you, if I saw a farrier hit my horse in the face with a rasp, I think I would hit them back!!!
Thank you for your post. I'm just glad someone wasn't so quick to judge. I thank you for that.
     
    04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
  #54
Yearling
Why does a horse need hay? When getting his feet done? You are teaching him that when he's bad he gets FOOD! He's got you trained to feed him when he acts up. My farrier does well with horses like that and got my horses to stand (for the most part) still for him and get their feet done, with no feed. If my horses nip at my hands they get flicked, if they bite at me they end up hitting my elbow before getting to me.
     
    04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
  #55
Yearling
Did he give a reason for being 30 minutes early? Most farriers don't just come unannounced unless something came up.
     
    04-25-2012, 07:42 PM
  #56
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by palominolover    
Did he give a reason for being 30 minutes early? Most farriers don't just come unannounced unless something came up.
He finished at his last appt early and decided to come to my appt early instead of stopping at home and never contacted me about it.
     
    04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
  #57
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyWood    
why does a horse need hay? When getting his feet done? You are teaching him that when he's bad he gets FOOD! He's got you trained to feed him when he acts up. My farrier does well with horses like that and got my horses to stand (for the most part) still for him and get their feet done, with no feed. If my horses nip at my hands they get flicked, if they bite at me they end up hitting my elbow before getting to me.
My horse needs hay right now because it keeps him OCCUPIED.
     
    04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
  #58
Banned
I guess there is no point in talking about this anymore, as it seems that you won't hear the things (or respond) to the things you don't want to hear.

All you are saying is that he was early. That's fine, got that loud and clear - I don't care if he wasn't scheduled to be there, just showed up, was someones child - whatever. Your horse offered to nip = bite someone.
In human terms if someone offers violence against me, I can use deadly voice against them. Your farrier had every right to hit your horse. My horse would be whopped into next week for trying to do that, and guess what - he doesn't.

It's a shame that your aggressive horse is the victim here in your mind. Good luck with your next farrier, and the one after him, and the one after him.
franknbeans likes this.
     
    04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
  #59
Trained
Redape you can eliminate the problem by holding your horse while he is being trimmed.
Before I would fire the farrier I would talk to him and ask that he not discipline your horse with a hoof rasp and find another way to do so if your horse bites him again. I would keep him just becuase he showed up early.
I never leave my horses unsupervised with any of the professionals that I use to help maintain them. Vet ,farrier, anyone becuase if the horse is out of line I do the discipline, My way. Shalom
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     
    04-26-2012, 07:31 AM
  #60
Showing
I think the discussion has been going in circles for quite a while. Everyone gave the opinion, and it's up to OP to listen or not to listen, and make a decision. With that being said I'm closing the thread...
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you like in a farrier? GreyRay Horse Talk 25 03-14-2012 12:26 PM
new farrier. how did he do?? lilkitty90 Horse Health 15 10-03-2011 09:08 AM
mad at the farrier, should I be? rottenweiler Horse Health 23 06-01-2010 01:18 PM
what does your farrier do... charliBum Horse Health 8 09-03-2009 10:55 AM
Farrier. White Foot Horse Health 44 06-22-2009 11:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0