When I Say My Pony Needs Space, She Needs Space
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

When I Say My Pony Needs Space, She Needs Space

This is a discussion on When I Say My Pony Needs Space, She Needs Space within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • What is a kick ride pony
  • What is the best boot for my pony when she jumps

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-23-2012, 08:45 PM
  #1
Weanling
When I Say My Pony Needs Space, She Needs Space

My horse, Imagine, has been off for about 3 weeks now because he's been lame. So I've been riding my previous trainer's 12.1 Welsh pony because she needs ridden (no one else is seriously allowed to ride her because she is a pretty advanced ride; she can spin, bolt, refuse jumps, etc if she really doesn't like you or you can't handle her) and I need to ride, not to mention she's a complete blast and lots of fun. I used to ride her almost every day for 6-8 months, and jump her twice a week before I got Imagine and moved him to a barn closer to me to board and train, so I know this pony REALLY well. She's super sassy and will bite and kick at times. When she's in heat she is especially sassy and will kick anyone who comes within 5 feet of her.
Well, today I was riding her with 2 other riders in the arena who jump 3"-3'3"; one of the riders who leases basically a push button expensive horse kept coming to close to Pony, and she would pin her ears and try to turn her butt towards the other horse to kick him. So I announced to them that she was being extra sassy and to please give her a bigger bubble tonight so no one would get kicked. The other rider steered clear of us and gave us tons of space, while the same girl kept continuously getting in her bubble and I had to keep kicking Pony and turning her head away so that she wouldn't try to kick this other horse! Is it just me or is this rude? I understand Pony shouldn't do this, but if I was in the other rider's boots, I would be trying not to get me or my horse kicked. I especially don't want us to get kicked at by a bigger horse, because chances are I'd be the one getting kicked. She's gotten better with not kicking out at other horse's, but she still gets in her sassy moods sometimes. Especially since I've the only one riding her right now, and she hadn't been ridden in a week.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-23-2012, 08:52 PM
  #2
Trained
I would talk to the barn owner. Arena etiquette rules are in place for a reason. Some barns won't let you use the arena if you can't mind the rules.

I also hope you are very small/light to be riding a 12.1hh pony and jumping it over 3'. Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccil0ve    
I would talk to the barn owner. Arena etiquette rules are in place for a reason. Some barns won't let you use the arena if you can't mind the rules.

I also hope you are very small/light to be riding a 12.1hh pony and jumping it over 3'. Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was going to talk to the barn owner, but I didn't want to seem like I was complaining. I will do that, though, next time if a trainer or barn owner is in the arena.

I'm 5'0" and weigh 110, but I only ever jumped the pony 2', and I was just flatting tonight =] The other girls were jumping their horses 3'.
     
    12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustImagine    
My horse, Imagine, has been off for about 3 weeks now because he's been lame. So I've been riding my previous trainer's 12.1 Welsh pony because she needs ridden (no one else is seriously allowed to ride her because she is a pretty advanced ride; she can spin, bolt, refuse jumps, etc if she really doesn't like you or you can't handle her) and I need to ride, not to mention she's a complete blast and lots of fun. I used to ride her almost every day for 6-8 months, and jump her twice a week before I got Imagine and moved him to a barn closer to me to board and train, so I know this pony REALLY well. She's super sassy and will bite and kick at times. When she's in heat she is especially sassy and will kick anyone who comes within 5 feet of her.
Well, today I was riding her with 2 other riders in the arena who jump 3"-3'3"; one of the riders who leases basically a push button expensive horse kept coming to close to Pony, and she would pin her ears and try to turn her butt towards the other horse to kick him. So I announced to them that she was being extra sassy and to please give her a bigger bubble tonight so no one would get kicked. The other rider steered clear of us and gave us tons of space, while the same girl kept continuously getting in her bubble and I had to keep kicking Pony and turning her head away so that she wouldn't try to kick this other horse! Is it just me or is this rude? I understand Pony shouldn't do this, but if I was in the other rider's boots, I would be trying not to get me or my horse kicked. I especially don't want us to get kicked at by a bigger horse, because chances are I'd be the one getting kicked. She's gotten better with not kicking out at other horse's, but she still gets in her sassy moods sometimes. Especially since I've the only one riding her right now, and she hadn't been ridden in a week.
Instead of turning her away from the other horse, turn her towards the other horse. That lessens the chance of her kicking out.

Now if you gave the other rider a warning that your horse may kick out and they don't listen, not much you can do. Just like you can tell some to not run with scissors or not touch something that's hot, some will still do it. That becomes their problem if they get hurt. If that person is a minor, let the parent or guardian know.
Posted via Mobile Device
BornToRun likes this.
     
    12-23-2012, 09:27 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
Instead of turning her away from the other horse, turn her towards the other horse. That lessens the chance of her kicking out.

Now if you gave the other rider a warning that your horse may kick out and they don't listen, not much you can do. Just like you can tell some to not run with scissors or not touch something that's hot, some will still do it. That becomes their problem if they get hurt. If that person is a minor, let the parent or guardian know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, I meant to say I was turning her head away from the wall because that's where she'd turn, and turn her butt to the inside.
That sad part was, her mom was sitting in the arena watching her and didn't say a word =/
     
    12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Ive let Luck kick out before after I made an announcement about it, not to mention I had a red ribbon in her tail at all times when we would encounter other horses (even after I fixed the problem to where she'd basically ask if she could (best way to explain it)). People use to walk close behind our horses with a young child on a small pony. I flipped out on a few of them and walked Lucky right up to their faces and talked between her ears at them (front end of her was gentle, hind was dangerous lol).

I have absolutely no tolerance for people who disrespect your space in an arena, and I've made people uncomfortable enough to leave. I know ST wont kick (she doesnt have even effort at anythibg really..lol), and I get into their bubble right back or I cut them off.

I know it's wrong..I have road rage, and I definitely have arena/trail rage as well. I usually don't do it to kids who don't know better (or they do and theyre just rude..then I talk to their 4h leader or parent and ask why they never taught their kid safety. And the girl who's constantly talking about me, bringing her horse wayyy too close, and purpously screw uo my barrel pattern (we all wait for our turn or stay on the rail..aside from her)..shoot, I wouldbt discipline ST if she kicked out at them for some reason. Like..Im sorry you think you're the best trainer in the area (and you're a whole 17yrs old) and that you can do anything..I don't see it like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
JustImagine likes this.
     
    12-23-2012, 10:30 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseul    
Ive let Luck kick out before after I made an announcement about it, not to mention I had a red ribbon in her tail at all times when we would encounter other horses (even after I fixed the problem to where she'd basically ask if she could (best way to explain it)). People use to walk close behind our horses with a young child on a small pony. I flipped out on a few of them and walked Lucky right up to their faces and talked between her ears at them (front end of her was gentle, hind was dangerous lol).

I have absolutely no tolerance for people who disrespect your space in an arena, and I've made people uncomfortable enough to leave. I know ST wont kick (she doesnt have even effort at anythibg really..lol), and I get into their bubble right back or I cut them off.

I know it's wrong..I have road rage, and I definitely have arena/trail rage as well. I usually don't do it to kids who don't know better (or they do and theyre just rude..then I talk to their 4h leader or parent and ask why they never taught their kid safety. And the girl who's constantly talking about me, bringing her horse wayyy too close, and purpously screw uo my barrel pattern (we all wait for our turn or stay on the rail..aside from her)..shoot, I wouldbt discipline ST if she kicked out at them for some reason. Like..Im sorry you think you're the best trainer in the area (and you're a whole 17yrs old) and that you can do anything..I don't see it like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh my goodness that is exactly how I feel! I just don't want her to kick out at people because we're so low, that I don't want to get kicked in the face if the other horse decides to strike back; not to mention, she's not my pony and I don't want to teach her bad habits.
That definitely reminds me of the girl who was in the arena getting to close to Pony, too! She's, like, 16 or 17 (I'm 22, and yes tiny enough to ride a 12.1 pony, haha) and thinks that because she can jump a point and click horse that she's the best rider in the whole barn. My Arab did barrel racing for 13 years, and I bought him and trained him to jump myself with help from my trainers, but I was the one on his back soaking in what they were telling me and putting it to action. I would love to see this girl riding the pony I was riding tonight and do the things on her that I've done. Just because you can jump 3' on a push button horse, doesn't mean you can ride ;]
     
    12-23-2012, 10:48 PM
  #8
Banned
OP, we have a bit of a different mentality at our barn.....either your horse behaves or else you wait until the arena is empty or you fix the problem. I personally am of the mind that why does everyone else have to (apart from their own safety, they need to use due diligence around ANY horse) tippy toe around a bad mannered horse? Especially when there is is rider on its back??? However, proper arena etiquette is to allow space around other riders and horses.......doesn't really apply when you have novices and such who don't know what they are doing, but that is when you need to be very very specific in telling these not so savvy riders what the implications of getting kicked could mean....ie. You will lose your teeth if you get to close to me...

My horse pinned his ears and swung his butt towards another horse a while back.....we had a come to Jesus meeting.......
Speed Racer and Saranda like this.
     
    12-23-2012, 10:54 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
OP, we have a bit of a different mentality at our barn.....either your horse behaves or else you wait until the arena is empty or you fix the problem. I personally am of the mind that why does everyone else have to (apart from their own safety, they need to use due diligence around ANY horse) tippy toe around a bad mannered horse? Especially when there is is rider on its back??? However, proper arena etiquette is to allow space around other riders and horses.......doesn't really apply when you have novices and such who don't know what they are doing, but that is when you need to be very very specific in telling these not so savvy riders what the implications of getting kicked could mean....ie. You will lose your teeth if you get to close to me...

My horse pinned his ears and swung his butt towards another horse a while back.....we had a come to Jesus meeting.......
I agree with you, and that's how it is at MY barn. But this is not my barn, and the owner is my previous trainer's pony and she trains at that barn. I only ride her once, maybe twice a week and she gets in trouble by me whenever she kicks out at someone. But I have my own horse and don't have the time to work with her on this every day, as she is not mine. I do what I can, but when I ask for space, I need it. I don't see how that is too much to ask for when it's a massive arena with 3 riders in it and I'm riding a horse that is still working on manners =] Not to mention that I do everything I can to prevent her from kicking, but as you well realize, horses have a mind of their own.
     
    12-23-2012, 10:59 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustImagine    
I agree with you, and that's how it is at MY barn. But this is not my barn, and the owner is my previous trainer's pony and she trains at that barn. I only ride her once, maybe twice a week and she gets in trouble by me whenever she kicks out at someone. But I have my own horse and don't have the time to work with her on this every day, as she is not mine. I do what I can, but when I ask for space, I need it. I don't see how that is too much to ask for when it's a massive arena with 3 riders in it and I'm riding a horse that is still working on manners =]
Fair enough. Yes I agree both ways.....you need to be savvy enough to know when and how to give space while reading another horse.....but you also need to be willing to get the 'naughty' horse thinking twice about making any move that is not dictated by you while you're on her back. It's understandable if you don't have time to work on it everyday (who does!!!) but personally I'd get so p***** off that I'd have a meeting with my horse
JustImagine likes this.
     

Tags
arena, etiquette, kicking, pony, riders

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Respecting space Brown eyes Horse Training 8 11-28-2012 12:29 AM
Hauling VA to MS NEXT WK. space for 1 silasmom Horse Talk 0 10-27-2012 10:17 PM
too little space? Jubilee Rose Horse Riding 5 12-12-2008 09:39 PM
Blu's Space? BluMagic Horse Talk 6 04-23-2008 09:00 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0